ULM Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Domino

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am currently finishing my prerequisites to apply to ULM Pharmacy. I am in my 6th semester with a 2.594 but if I make a good chunk of A's in the rest of my prerequisites I can finish with a 3.0. I currently have no experience but looking for work at walgreens/cvs as a pharmacy technician. SO what would be my chances to making it in ULM? good or bad (preferably if I finish with a 3.0 and possibly a high pcat score)

Any advice?
I know I might also apply to Xavier or finish my degree and reapply a year after (if this helps)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've known students accepted more so with 3.4's and 3.5's to ULM (spots are limited, and the acceptance rate is extremely low with only 75 spots), Xavier only considers those that hit the MINIMUM of 2.75 with regards to science and pre-requisite GPA. If the minimum GPA isn't met, they won't even touch the application. I have friends who live in Louisiana currently going through the PharmCas process. With that being said, your best bet would be out-of-state or wait a year.

I've known students accepted more so with 3.4's and 3.5's to ULM (spots are limited, and the acceptance rate is extremely low with only 75 spots), Xavier only considers those that hit the MINIMUM of 2.75 with regards to science and pre-requisite GPA. If the minimum GPA isn't met, they won't even touch the application. I have friends who live in Louisiana currently going through the PharmCas process. With that being said, your best bet would be out-of-state or wait a year.
Okay, Thanks!
yeah I figured gpa was important; but in the case of not being admitted the first time. Im trying to stay in state; but is waiting a year for ulm worth it?
I plan to finish my bio degree in that extra year which involves a lot of science; (say I make mostly A's) and try to gain experience
Will that give me a VERY CERTAIN chance ulm will admit me or could it be possible that I might have to wait again?

Just wondering; I rather not waste time but waiting one more year to stay in state is a preferred option to me (just not waiting 2 years or more)

Members don't see this ad :)
Get experience in the pharmacy, that will ultimately set you apart. Let them know you do something besides studying. Start volunteering or pick up a job in the pharmacy like you said you would. If you can, push for summer courses to re-take any of the ones that you didn't do as well in. I think a 3.2-3.3 with pharmacy experience will get you into Xavier (regardless of their preference towards their own students), and possibly ULM.

I'm curious.... How would the PCAT affect someone's chances with either of these LA schools? You seem to only be concerned with GPA.

I'm curious.... How would the PCAT affect someone's chances with either of these LA schools? You seem to only be concerned with GPA.
Well,
Get experience in the pharmacy, that will ultimately set you apart. Let them know you do something besides studying. Start volunteering or pick up a job in the pharmacy like you said you would. If you can, push for summer courses to re-take any of the ones that you didn't do as well in. I think a 3.2-3.3 with pharmacy experience will get you into Xavier (regardless of their preference towards their own students), and possibly ULM.
thanks, and also does high pcat play a role towards either schools?

Yeah ive also wondered the same if I can make a high pcat will that boost my chance

Yeah ive also wondered the same if I can make a high pcat will that boost my chance
It will help yes. I went to ULMs Applicant Day on Monday and they explained how they weighted the stats. GPA and interview are the most important to them. If you lack in either department, they give more weight to your pcat, and if it's competitive you stand a chance of being accepted. You need to rock the interview and do a decent job on the pcat, and you'll be fine. Just make sure you get that GPA up as high as you can. I've got an interview tomorrow morning.

It will help yes. I went to ULMs Applicant Day on Monday and they explained how they weighted the stats. GPA and interview are the most important to them. If you lack in either department, they give more weight to your pcat, and if it's competitive you stand a chance of being accepted. You need to rock the interview and do a decent job on the pcat, and you'll be fine. Just make sure you get that GPA up as high as you can. I've got an interview tomorrow morning.
Thank you and good luck!
May I ask what were your stats? (gpa/pcat/experience)

and will everyone get a chance at the interview?

Thank you and good luck!
May I ask what were your stats? (gpa/pcat/experience)

and will everyone get a chance at the interview?
3.8 pre req 3.7 overall, 54 pcat, 60 hours pharmacy experience. You might not see me there, because I was accepted elsewhere. Not everyone will be invited for an interview. 270 applicants annually on average according to the directors of student affairs, and 150 get interviewed. About 80-90 are accepted. Have competitive stats. ULM does not feel pressured to take anyone if they have extra room. Only people who meet the "standard" for that year will be considered. They have a fairly high acceptance rate though, so if you get an interview, you have a good chance of getting in or getting on the wait list.

By the way, score at least a 50 on your PCAT. Good luck

3.8 pre req 3.7 overall, 54 pcat, 60 hours pharmacy experience. You might not see me there, because I was accepted elsewhere. Not everyone will be invited for an interview. 270 applicants annually on average according to the directors of student affairs, and 150 get interviewed. About 80-90 are accepted. Have competitive stats. ULM does not feel pressured to take anyone if they have extra room. Only people who meet the "standard" for that year will be considered. They have a fairly high acceptance rate though, so if you get an interview, you have a good chance of getting in or getting on the wait list.

By the way, score at least a 50 on your PCAT. Good luck
Thanks for the help!

Btw if I do not get admitted the first year I apply; will they look at my gpa in other science courses (im a bio major)

Thanks for the help!

Btw if I do not get admitted the first year I apply; will they look at my gpa in other science courses (im a bio major)
They really only care about the pre req gpa; that is the math and science courses you have to take on their pre req list.

I am applying early decision to ULM for the upcoming cycle and wanted to see if I could get some feedback from you all about my chances...

Graduated 2012 BS cell/molecular biology overall 3.3-3.4 undergrad GPA

4+ years experience as a QC chemist for a generics manufacturing facility, testing raw mats and finished products of solid orals and topicals

Graduated 2016 MS pharmaceutical chemistry overall 3.9 graduate GPA

97 composite PCAT, with 99 Chem, 96, Bio