Ultimate Path book for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thought I'd duplicate the post for the Neuro question except for Path. The thing is that I've been using both Pathophysiology for Boards and Wards AND BRS path for diff organ systems (I just dedided to switch on and off occasionally). However, for the boards there's just sooooooooo many resourse (ie FA, Step Up, Brs path, Pathophys boards and wards) so I just wanta narrow it down just to a few and hit them real hard.

any suggestions ? I'm thinking boards and wards, I believe it was rated A , what do u guys think? And sorry I dont have the Goljan path book so if that wasnt an option which one is next up?

Thanks

p.s I know you should supplement w/FA at all times for everything :D

Members don't see this ad.

The Robbin's Question book by Kumar and Klatt......

It is AMAZING!

goes through every chapter in robbins with 1100 questions. totally board style and awesome explanations.
i'm using it with BRS Path.

later

Ditto on the BRS Path and Robbins Question book. Every question that I guess on or get wrong gets noted in Step Up (First Aid would work too) for final review during the last week before Step 1. Also, although the end-of-chapter Qs in BRS Path are of questionable quality, the comprehensive exam in the back is pretty darn good.

Willamette

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting ...never really occurred to me to use that robbins qbook. I pretty much was intending to use QBANK and IF i got to it BSS . urrrrrrrrgh yet another book :confused: :confused:

see that's what I'm saying there's soo many AND i just wish there was one book that's really good for material and then just use ONE question source.... soooooooooooooo confused....officially board studying starts may 8 and taking those bad boys on June 30..... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

MD06,

I would definitely ditch the BSS in favor of the Robbins Question book! That said, Q-Bank is a MUST DO!!! Good Luck :luck: !!!

Willamette

wow! you are studying from May 8th to June 30!

most of my whole class is studying 3-4 weeks at the tops. most around 3.5 weeks.

wow!

you must have the stamina of a stallion

12R34Y said:
wow! you are studying from May 8th to June 30!

most of my whole class is studying 3-4 weeks at the tops. most around 3.5 weeks.

wow!

you must have the stamina of a stallion

like, "wow" dude!

Most of my school is studying about that amount. From May 7th until the start of third year, July 6th, we don't have class. And for teh 7 weeks preceding may 7th, we have had 12 hours of review/prepare for third year PBL.

What is the difficulty level of the Robbins Review Book compared to the actual Step 1?

I have the book...and by my first impression...the Robbins questions require a much deeper understanding of the material than other question banks I have seen.

Any thoughts?

Word is that Robbins Q-Book is significantly MORE difficult than the Step 1. However, the thought processes used to answer both sets of questions are supposed to be comparable.

Willamette

Those BRS path questions are useless, in my opinion. Too many EXCEPT questions, and a lot of them test random facts. The Robbin's Q book, on the other hand, is one I absolutely fell in love with after working through the first chapter. Too bad there's not a new edition with brand new questions! :D

Willamette said:
Word is that Robbins Q-Book is significantly MORE difficult than the Step 1.

Willamette

True. I did very well on the step I pathology and all I used was BRS Pathology and Robbins question book. The beauty of the Robbins q-book is that it is significantly more difficult than most of the actual Step 1 questions. If you do all the questions, know the correct answers, know the incorrect answers and why, I'd venture to guess you'd fare quite well on Step I path. The beauty of BRS path is that it is easy to digest and very well organized. I used BRS path to set the framework and Robbins q-book to fill in the details.
Best of luck. :)

really....

intersting...cuz i mean i havent done too many q's from that robbins book. however, i did do some when we were doing GI....perhaps it was because we were doing GI at the time, so many of the q's seemed awfully easy in that book. But like i said i only did GI and we were doing it right then so that was prolly the reason.

it's so weird though, cuz i have ALWAYS been told QBANK and BSS (whihc is a lot harder than the stp1) were the routes to take in terms of q's....

in terms of board studying....dude i really dont have much time...may 7 to june 30th? and thats bcause our curriculum ends on may 7. we didnt have ANY reviewing or any board stuff....

so its gonna be a beast...but i did do somewhat well this yr, so i hope that'll carry me through...

i'm beginning to realize that every school seems to have a "period of prep time" that can be wildly different from one another.

my school we get out on may 10th . start clinic on june 28th.

most of my classmates are studying for 3 weeks to allow for at least 3 weeks off before clinics.

this may not be the norm though.

later

12R34Y said:
i'm beginning to realize that every school seems to have a "period of prep time" that can be wildly different from one another.

It must. We got 5 weeks total between 2nd and 3rd years. Most people I have talked to at my school took 3 weeks to study. I took 4 weeks, felt I had sufficient time for prep, and had great results.

is 4 weeks really ample to know everything u have learned in the first two years of med school? I have 2-3 months off and am freaking out; though, our basic science component is weak as well. I don't know--

I've been hardcore studying since the beginning of April...I did Immunology over the last 2 weeks of March. That's great that so many of you can study 3-4 weeks and be ready.....I would have a nervous breakdown!!

I have to say that I agree heartily about Robbins Q-book. I LOVE this book, and I'm glad to hear that it's a good review for Step I Path. My goal is to get through it, and all of Q-bank, before June!

Can one still benefit from Robbin's Q book w/o owning Any robbin's text?

thanks

So, whats the final word -- is it better to use Robbins Pathology Question book or to use Board Simulator Series questions?? I thought that BSS was all subjects, not just pathology though, and Robbins is just pathology. What would you guys recommend that have taken it already?
Your comments would be very much appreciated!
thanks

DKCDO said:
Can one still benefit from Robbin's Q book w/o owning Any robbin's text?

thanks

Absolutely. The book has excellent explanations for each question. It can be used as a stand alone even though it does provide cross-references to the big Robbins books if you wanna do more in depth reading.