• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Ultrasound Replacing Electrodiagnostics?

kurt rambis

15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2003
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the future of electrodiagnostics and imaging particularly ultrasound and particularly for entrapment neuropathies. Electrodiagnostics are in my opinion one of the most interesting things we do as physiatrists but it doesn't seem that there have been any major advances or new uses for it recently. Do you all see electrodiagnostics playing the same role in the next 10 years in diagnosing things like entrapment neuropathy?

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
From what I've seen of ultrasound, it can show deformation of nerves such as the median nerve in the carpal tunnel, possibly other nerves as well. Whether that truely correlates with CTS reamins to be seen. It will not, however, be able to show demylination vs axonal loss, nor denervation, all important measures.

It will not likely help with polyneuropathies, NMJ Disorders, radics, etc. Might be of some use in some myopathies.

The problem is it is very technician-dependent and it is a very steep learning curve. Docs are excited at the prospect of a new imaging tool, but so much research needs to be done.

Ludicolo

Fib Hunter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Conjunction Junction
  1. Attending Physician
Admittedly, I am currently near the bottom of the US learning curve. But I don’t think US will replace EMG. I see them as complimentary tests, as one is primarily a test of anatomy/causation, and the other is a primarily a test of physiology/function. It will be interesting to see what happens as more of us get better and more proficient w/ US.

Most of the studies comparing the two are in CTS. Correlates are still being defined. Just from a practical standpoint, I would imagine that US is more time efficient than inching in terms of localization. US is probably more comfortable for the patient. With regards to polyneuropathies, US may be able to demonstrate denervated muscle with fatty infiltration, may demonstrate hypertrophic nerves in some hereditary neuropathies, or peripheral nerve inflammation. But these findings seem rather non-specific.

There is a cool case report out of Mayo in the latest Muscle and Nerve demonstrating US guided needle EMG of the diaphragm.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.