UMass Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Med Schoolers-

I was recently accepted to UMass and was wondering if any of you are attending there right now or even know a lot about it. I was really impressed by 1) The INCREDIBLY low price and 2) the growing reputation for research (the new research building is state of the art and looks gorgeous and it really seems like they're making a push towards becoming more research oriented).

I also loved the curriculum, where class is generally only half day and students spend a lot of time in the doctor's office early on and the clinical rotations seem solid.

Can someone also tell me more about the construction? I don't know when it will finish, but that was one drawback when I interviewed. The whole place seemed like a construction site. But I hear the new ERs are supposed to be awesome and the hospital will become a model for trauma centers with the new design of the ER, Trauma rooms, and Radiology labs, as well as the adjacent ORs.

What do you guys think of the facilities. Sorry for the long post, but I was having trouble finding information. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The construction should be pretty much over by the time you start. That what they promised anyhow. It looks awful because they are changing all windows and granite sidings. The up side is that they just finished a new garage, so there is no more parking problem. They are also building some nice additions.
Classes are not really over by half day during the 1st year. Only Tuesdays and Fridays. You have Wednesday mornings as well, but many of them are taken up by the preceptorship (working with a physician).
There is a lot of primary care emphasis. They don't really force you down that path though, but you still have to go participate. And you can't beat the price.
Congratulations on your acceptance.

Hey, I just did a search and found this thread. I'm excited to be starting my IM residency at UMass in July; really liked the program, happy, friendly residents and students, good primary care emphasis. Definitely a nice change from the system I've been trained in. I'm also looking forward to the possiblity of paying at least $300 less in rent/month than I currently do in Boston, and living on the lake in Shrewsbury or right next to the med school!

I do have one question; do any UMass students or residents out there know why 6 new PGY-2 IM residents are starting in July? Did UMass create the spots b/c they have increased funding, or did 6 categorical residents leave the program? If the latter, I REALLY hope that it's not b/c they were unhappy with the program :confused:

hmmm...interesting...perhaps you should post on the residency boards as well to see what response you get.