UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oranit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience at or info about the UMass medicine program? Is it considered a good program? how is the fellowship placement? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Umass is a pretty good program if you are looking for fellowship placement. Here is a *partial (because these are the early ones) list of fellowship matches for this year.
UMASS (Dermatology)
Emory University (Radiation Oncology)
SUNY Stony Brook (GI)
Yale (Heart Failure)
UMASS (Nephrology)
Medical College of Georgia (Nephrology)

Other people matched elsewhere too, I just don't have access to that info right now.
The teaching is better than average, and it is really easy to get involved with clinical research.

It is a rather tough residency overall though. Long hours, a few bitter residents, etc.

hope that helps

Those medicine interns matching into dermatology and rad onc were actually not medicine categorical medicine interns, they were preliminary medicine interns who matched into those specialties during the regular match (ie derm and rad onc are not medicine subspecialties, they are their own specialty).

To the OP, I don't have very much information on U Mass beyond an ID faculty member who trained there telling me that they had a very good program (however many years ago he trained). Here are some links you may find to be useful though:
http://www.umassmed.edu/medicine/residency/
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=2821&d=1

Members don't see this ad :)
Square Pants

Where do you find the fellowship placement of recent graduates, I have checked there site and can't find anything.

Thanks

Just being a student who has rotated significantly through the UMass program - here is some info, take it for what it's worth...

Good program, strength is the teaching of the attendings and staff. The program is split between three sites. UMass (University campus), UMass Memorial and Milford. Memorial is a big hospital in Worcester, but formerly a private practice type facility. Used to have its own residency program but now the two are fully merged. Many attendings there are not quite as good teachers. Many residents think they don't learn as much from attendings over there because the focus is on the office practice and getting things done, not on teaching. Teaching more comes from some subspecialty attendings (again, many of these are also former private practice folks who weren't in an academic environment previously, so it's somewhat different) and senior residents. Memorial is also a bit less stressful to work at. Nurses and ancillary staff are a bit more independent and the hospital is not quite so busy. Milford is more like a smaller, community type place where I haven't rotated but have heard about. Resident schedules at UMass and Memorial are fairly similar, there is a night float, admissions are basically every other day (either short or long call) and no overnights. Milford has overnight call. The residents work pretty hard but not as bad as other places I have seen. The teaching staff at the University campus is a lot more dedicated to teaching.

UMass medical residents - there are a high % of FMGs. There are a number of US grads, mostly these are UMass med grads who chose to stay in Worcester, and many are very high caliber residents who could have gone anywhere else. Most of the FMGs are also good residents, and a credit to the institution. There are also a few DO grads every year. Fellowship placement I believe is pretty good, some choose to stay here, some move on. The residents work well together.

And, of course, you get to work with UMass medical students who are far and away the best clinical students in the state. Patient population is very varied, you will see most everything here and in sufficient volume to keep you busy. There are always changes going on in the schedules so what I said above will probably change slightly, but changes are mostly done due to resident feedback.

As with most places, a motivated resident is going to do very well.

I can't really speak to the research aspect.

#1 I am aware that Rad Onc and Derm are not fellowships, but I thought it was significant to point out that these prelims were able to match into competitive residencies from Umass.

#2 This is 'inside' information that is not available otherwise.

If you are really interested in Umass fellowship placement, just call up (or e-mail) the PD and talk with him. He'll give you the inside scoop. He is actually a really nice guy, and he loves to talk about the IM residency to interested students.