UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasminscent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yaah,

Since you're from UMass, how do you feel about the UMass program?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, their specimen numbers are high enough that you will see and be comfortable with most everything. After my PSF I can gross in almost anything without too much assistance except maybe Whipples. There are two hospitals and your time is pretty much split between them, both are large hospitals.

There are quite a few new attendings (within the last few years) who are very smart, good teachers, trained at great programs mostly in the area. The older attendings are great - very calm, very interested in teaching. A lot of UMass is user-driven. By that I mean that if you are motivated and eager to learn you will have a great experience and people will be very helpful. If you want to coast, you pretty much can get out early. You can get lots of one-on-one scope time with attendings. There are also the usual conferences that most places have.

Support staff is also great for the most part (PAs, etc). Facilties are improving - UMass is going through lots of construction and the pathology space is being reorganized, but it is getting close to finished and will be nice.

The drawbacks I guess are that they have had a tough time recently attracting great residency candidates. From what I have heard, the CP training is also not as rigorous as other places - lots of self-direction there too. Forensics also has been tough, they are working on ways to increase the time there.

Overall, it means you can turn yourself into a star if you go there and work hard. The staff has contacts almost everywhere. They also have experts in most fields - areas of strength include GI, breast. You will see lots of GI and GYN.

Worcester is a decent place to live, close to boston but not as cramped, crowded or expensive. The med school is quite good, and continuously expanding (LOTS of research space has been built in the last few years).

In sum, a good place to be, particularly if you like AP. Has gone through lots of changes but now more stable. Gets kind of forgotten in my opinion (biased, of course) because of proximity to Boston.