UMD class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys--
I exercise too, and I know there is a fort/park (Fort McHenry I believe) not too far from downtown. Its a great place to run, I used to run there with my brother when he lived close by. Does anyone know if there is a gym inside the hospital or close by that students have access to? And is there a fee for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Some of my classmates run by the harbor and in the city. I don't think that the city is a nice place to run, it looks really annoying to have to stop every block or so for traffic, plus I had one classmate who had her bike stolen from her while she was riding it in the city! There is a free gym with treadmills, a racketball court, basketball court, weights, etc; it's at the top of one of the garages. There usually is a waiting list for getting onto the treadmills though, particularly around 5 pm. I've heard that they renovated our gym ~1 yr ago, and I haven't been since then, so it may be nicer now. They have been talking about moving it to the baltimore student union for some time now, that was supposed to happen 2 yrs ago, but I haven't seen any construction around that building so I think that project has been put on indefinite hold.

Any news on what the deal is with out of staters and instate status? I haven't called yet and I'm wondering if anyone else has before I get around to it myself.

I have lived in Bmore for 6 years but have never been a MD resident

Thanks
greenie

Members don't see this ad :)
greenie8
have you worked in baltimore? have you paid taxes in maryland?
do you have a lease or anything proving where you live (mail, etc.)
i think you have to be there for a year, but if you're interested you should definitely get cracking on it--first step: drivers license and voter registration. from there you have to fill out the application for residency status. if they classify you as an out of stater i think you can petition based on specific criteria (like you've been paying taxes there, etc.)

where is your residency if it isn't md?

Yes I file taxes as a Non-Resident. I kept my Massachusetts residency specifically to get into UMass Med (which I did). I'm deciding between the two schools now. My drivers liscence and voting is still in MA so it would take a committment to start changing that stuff. I'm just wondering how long someone in my position would have to wait to get the full residency status.

It's a weird stiuation so I'm going to call UMd fin aid soon.
Thanks for your help

greenie

My class is 75% residents. You can find this info at the admissions website along with a lot of other usefull stuff (like interviews offered vs accepted, etc.)

Our gym is beat...but it gets the job done. Its two blocks from the school at the top of pratt st. garage. There is a gold's gym downtown - about 10 blocks from the school. Also, we are allowed to use the gym at UMBC - about a 15 min drive from school... and they have a shuttle that goes there.

As far as running is concerned. I usually run from my house near school to fells point. its pretty safe as long as you don't go in the middle of the night...B-more is actually pretty safe if you use your head. But keep in mind that it is a city, and crime does happen. You can also run to federal hill park by way of the harbor.

Well, back to studying the GI tract. Peace out folks!

bump

has anyone received their financial aid packets yet? when are we supposed to get them??

anyone else getting really excited and anxious to start school already!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Biffbuddy!

I haven't received my fin aid packet either. I checked last year's umd thread and it looks like we should be getting it any day now.

BTW, I'm getting anxious too, so you're not alone!

I believe they go out the 8th or 9th -- so we should have them soon.

I'm getting antsy too...I can't wait to get started!

Hi everyone! I just decided this past weekend that I'm definitely headed to Maryland in the Fall. It's such a relief to have this whole process behind me.

I sent in an application for U. Suites at Fayette Square. Anyone else thinking about living there? I think I'm still going to the housing fair to hear about other options.

I'm really excited to meet my future classmates!

hey Mts, glad you decided on maryland!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats awesome

just a bit of warning on university suites, i applied a while back and went down to the office to talk to the manager to get some information out of her, and found out that there are a lot of rules that they do not tell you about offhand. first off, there are quiet hours strictly enforced, 7 days a week from 8 pm to 8 am. then, other undergraduate college dorm rules applly- no candles, you have to check in guests, you cant have a guest stay more than 3 nights in a row, etc. it sounded very good until i found out all of this information and i ended up withdrawing my application- i just dont think i need to be supervised and live in an enforced dormitory for graduate school (for the money i would be paying for a 1 bedroom apt) - also, they do quarterly inspections to make sure you are abiding!!!

if this still doesnt bother you, then it will be a great place for you- the amenities are amazing! just wanted to give you a heads up so you dont sign the contract without knowing!

bb

Hi,
I'm most likely going to Maryland in the fall, and I'm thinking about buying somewhere near the school. (I looked into the University Suites, too, but the rents seemed really high, compared to what a mortgage would be... on a 2 br townhouse. and I like the idea of ownership)Any suggestions about where to look/ where to avoid from anyone who lives near the school now?
Thanks.
- hale-bopp

If you are going to purchase a house (which I actually reccomend that most med students do not, due to the risk of ownership, fees, and the possibility of not being able to sell it when it comes time to move for residency); I'd reccomend looking into places outside of the city like Catonsville (~10 min from school) or even places up north in the county (Timmonium, Towson, Lutherville, etc). These places tend to be more stable in terms of real estate value, and their value tends to go up with time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
Still haven't made my decision yet, but Maryland is still in the running.

For all of you out-of-staters:

http://www.umaryland.edu/orr/status.html

I called the fin aid office and was transferred to Records and Registration, who deal with out of staters. This is the way to get in state status. It doesn't seem too bad, but we'd all pay at least a year of out-of-state tuition.

I live in Charles Village now, and I love it. The property values in Charles VIllage now are getting higher and I have a feeling would give you a great payoff if you sell in four years.

However I would probably move closer to downtown if I went to MD. I'm also thinking about buying ---I would LOVE to get a place in Little Italy. Expensive, I know.

If any of you have a question about Bmore and Bmore neighborhoods I can try to help you out.

greenie

hey guys,
just wondering when the housing fair is (that mts referred to).
i am still awaiting a decision as i just interviewed at the end of march, but am interested in all things UMD right now as i try to figure out where to go next year.

when is this housing fair? are they holding any other info sessions? is there anything i can do right now to increase the chances of getting in (have written thank you letters to my interviewers, but that's it)?

thanks
n

As an out-of-stater, I am definitely looking to gain in-state status. I read the above link that you posted greenie8, however, the first line of the policy is what is worrying me. It says that you have to demonstrate that you have been living in MD for 12 months NOT primarily to attend an educational institution. The thing is, my brother is my only relative in the United States and he has been living in B'more for 3 years now, so I was wondering if I could just say that is my permanent residence and so I would fulfill that first criteria? Any input would be appreciated...

Hi,
I went to the last "housing fair" and it was pretty useless. There were about 3 booths for housing complexes, except they were all for the same, university-owned apartments (University Suites at Fayette Square), and there weren't that many apartments left, and they seemed pretty expensive -
All in all, it was sort of a wasted afternoon for me, although it was fun and exciting to see the school again, the campus is pretty nice.
good luck with the admissions process.
-sarah

Originally posted by noami
hey guys,
just wondering when the housing fair is (that mts referred to).
i am still awaiting a decision as i just interviewed at the end of march, but am interested in all things UMD right now as i try to figure out where to go next year.

when is this housing fair? are they holding any other info sessions? is there anything i can do right now to increase the chances of getting in (have written thank you letters to my interviewers, but that's it)?

thanks
n

I'd recommend renting an apt in a house in one of the many neighborhoods outside of downtown, rather than going to one of the apt buildings downtown which are MUCH more expensive. Check out the rental listings in the Baltimore Sun--you can find a nice apt, often with a small yard, very reasonably. Charles Village is nice, so are Gardenville, Hamilton, & a lot of other areas. www.livebaltimore.com has neighborhood profiles that will help you get a feel for different areas.

shameless plug--there's a free Homebuyer/Renter Education Day being held on April 24, 10-4 at 3700 Eastern Ave. They'll have lenders, realtors, housing counselors, & community groups. There's also a free raffle where they're raffling off a brand new HP computer, a $500 savings bond, and a Home Depot gift certificate among other things. Come check it out.

I'm very excited to meet my new classmates too.... :)
Beth

Thank you SO much for your advice, biffbuddy and hale-bopp. I am so clueless about this housing thing. There seem to be so many options... it's just overwhelming.

biffbuddy: didn't you say you decided on Marlboro Square? I don't like this quiet hours issue... I will definitely check Fayette Square out thoroughly before I sign my life away on a contract. Thanks so much for warning me.

noami: the housing fair (which I still may go to since I got permission to take the day off work... hey, if I only spend 1/2 hour there I can spend the rest of the day showing my parents the amazing hosp and exploring B-more :D) is from 10-3 on April 30th and May 2nd. It's in the Student Union Lobby.

Good luck with all your decisions everyone!

Hi Everyone,

I just got an email that my financial aid award was posted on Surfs and checked it out and was pretty suprised that I was offered nothing but loans. I am an in-stater, and thought, based on UMD's website and financial aid presentation, that about 95% of students who meet the FAFSA deadline get scholarship/grant money and that the average award was ~$6000. Is this true? Not only that, but I wasn't even awarded enough loan money to cover the full cost of attendance-it was about 4-5,000 less!

I feel like something must be wrong, since I am by no means wealthy and neither are my parents.

Does anyone already at UMD know if it is common to only be "awarded" loan money? Are grants/scholarships even posted on Surfs? What is the criteria, especially since I was only an intern last year making like ten bucks an hour/20 hours week while in grad school full-time (less than 16,000 for the year).

Have any other first years checked their award yet? Am I the odd ball out, or are other people in the same boat?

Any help, advice, similar experiences, etc? I'm freaking out!

Thanks,

MTS: no prob- yes, i am living in marlboro square next year- i am on the waitlist, but i got on pretty early and they said that I would definitely get one- i love it there- its soooo close to campus and the rooms are very cool looking. you should definitely check them out- they are a bit pricey though

ATLdoc- i just got my award letter and i dont know what is wrong with maryland- they are going to be getting a lot of phone calls tomorrow!! first off, they had me listed as an out of stater 2 weeks ago! i had to re-send in my residency form ( i have lived here all of my life), and they still have not posted it- yet they managed to give me my financial aid award based on an out of stater!!! i am not paying 58,000 dollars to go to school in state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

they gave me all loans as well- i dont know what happened to those 3,000 in grants everyone talks about and i applied for the professional school scholarship and didnt hear anything- i feel with ya!

I got all loans too. They offered me the max in loans (38,500) but since my estimated cost of attendance is 42K, it's a few thousand short. Was that what yours was too, ATLdoc? I'm also wondering what the deal is with grants/scholarships. I think I remember the financial aid office telling me that that info comes out later, so maybe those are still to come?

In the past (as recent as last year), UMD students have gotten scholarships and grants from UMD that were almost always ~$3,000. The source of these grants and scholarships are awarded from the financial aid office, but the money itself can come from sources like the alumni association and the state itself. I spoke with the financial aid counselor about this, and he told me that ~40-60% of the class got them from year to year, and he claimed that the process of awarding them was "random" because some students got them some years, while other students got them other years, but that upper years had a greater likelihood of receiving this grant. Needless to say, with a "random" process of making awards at Maryland, the financial aid counselor has tremendous amount of say in determining who gets what. So I know that it's stupid, but if you go in to speak with the financial aid counselor in person and just say how you need more money (don't we all?), or if you just fill out the form asking for more money, he keeps your name on this list and when more money "frees up", he awards it to those on his list. I don't know if the situation has changed this year with the state cutting funding to our school, but I do know that I was able to get 1,500 in addition to my 3,000 during first year, and after I lost my grant during third and fourth year, I received 2-3,000 each year during the appeals process. It's kind of a nerve wracking process because the money that he awards during appeals usually don't become available until Sept-October, but it's always nice receiving that extra refund check in the mail after you thought that you had finished receiving all of the financial aid you thought that you were going to receive. I would have never known how to do this until another student told me to try it during college, when I went into my FA office there, was told that I was probably receiving too much in aid as it was due to my parent's income, but I got $500 just for my 20 minutes of time anyways.

Regarding the estimated school budget, you should realize that it's usually an overestimation for most people. Don't underestimate the number of stupid fees that you have to pay, but the school's formula is usually overly generous when calculating rent and transportation costs, so you don't have to max out every year just to survive.

thanks for the info mts. if i hear good news from maryland before then i will plan to attend. now i'm getting all worried about the finanacial aid thing...i was hoping the state school would be the easiest/best way to go financially.

so who wants to put in for megabucks tickets with me?
:)

So, in looking at the amount of money I can borrow, and subtracting all of the expenses I see listed on the budget for tuition, fees, computer, health insurance, etc (there's about 11 different types of fees and required expenses listed), the budget I calculate is about $27,500 left over for living expenses. Is that right??? It seems like a LOT of money to live on, as a student. (because we don't pay taxes on it) Someone let me know if there's a problem with my math.
I guess I'll plan to take out loans for the full budget my first year, and see how it goes? I was definitely expecting to be budgeting for a lot less.

hi all,
just wondering if the fact that i received the email regarding the inaccurate orientation date mean that i've been accepted? i was expecting to get word from them this week (i interviewed late march) but so far haven't received any news. so i was pretty surprised today to get an email that started out: "Dear Member of the Class of 2008, It has been brought to my attention that your letter of
acceptance to the University of Maryland School of Medicine contains an
error in regards to the starting date for this year?s entering freshman
class...."

should i take this as good news? or did they send this to people who were not accepted too?

anyone know anything about this? i hope it is their sly way of accepting me, but i don't know for sure

thanks very much!
n

thats awesome, noami!!!

I would definitely take that as good news, b/c it probably means you are on the listserve of accepted students! however, dont take my word for it- i dont want to get you all excited before you get official word :) I hope its good news for you

I havent checked my email yet so i dont know if i got it - i'll let you know

Hey Noami, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :luck:

thanks guys! i was afraid to call the dean or admissions office and look like a fool, but i decided to bite the bullet this morning anyway to find out for sure--the woman at the ad.office said that the email beat her letter and i'm in!!!! :D :)
i am still in (happy) shock!
this should give hope to others who interviewed at the end of march--they sent out acceptance letters yesterday.

(i'm in SF for a conference and am doing a little happy dance! they just think i'm a freak ;) )

thanks again!

yahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! CONGRATS NOAMI!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

congratulations!!!!!!!!!! see ya in August. :)

Beth

Congrats to noami and to everyone else who recently got good news!

Speaking of the change in orientation dates, what does orientation entail? I thought I read about it somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find anything on it now.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting excited to start!

MtsByondMts said:
Congrats to noami and to everyone else who recently got good news!

Speaking of the change in orientation dates, what does orientation entail? I thought I read about it somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find anything on it now.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting excited to start!

hey mts.
thanks! i don't have the exact details in front of me, but when i spoke to the people who organize orientation they told me that we'd have stuff to do on thursday and friday (12th-13th) and then again on monday (16th) and i think we start classes on tuesday. this could be a bit off, but i will change it if i find out where i wrote down what she said...i know she also mentioned that the other classes would be organizing parties & social events for the weekend.
i am in a wedding that weekend in upstate ny, so i'm kind of bummed about missing out, but...hopefully there will be more stuff to come ;)

take care
n

has anyone decided what lender they're going with for financial aid?

hey guys
now that its past may 15th, who is officially going to UMD??!!! I recently withdrew from loyola, so I'm definitely bound - who else dropped other spots to come here and who dropped maryland to go elsewhere?? I know we just lost noami to columbia (congrats noami!!) - I hope we didnt lose everyone off of the top tier waitlists :(

bump

biffbuddy said:
hey guys
I know we just lost noami to columbia (congrats noami!!) - I hope we didnt lose everyone off of the top tier waitlists :(

bump
thanks biffbuddy,
my extreme enthusiasm for going to columbia is mediated by the fact that i won't be with you guys at UMSOM :(
best of luck to you all!

biffbuddy said:
hey guys
now that its past may 15th, who is officially going to UMD??!!!
bump

I turned down NYU and 10g a year at Einstein to come to UMD. I think its a better school than either one of those places. Can't wait to see you all in August (unless Columbia takes me off the waitlist like Noami, which is unlikely at this point.)

I will be attending UMD in the fall. The school is great and the finacial aid package is the greatest.

I'll be there! Does anyone know how many days orientation is, i.e. what day do actual classes start?

Hey UMD2008 NIHers (and everyone else too)!

Soooo sorry about the last minute notice but Biffbuddy and I are planning to meet up tomorrow (Wednesday, June 2) for lunch in Building 10 (at NIH). It would be great if others can join us too! August 12th is just around the corner and I wanna start meeting my classmates!!! So come out, come out :D If tomorrow is not good... we should do this again

For those of you who will be in the Baltimore/D.C. area this summer, maybe we can have a get-together sometime in June? what do you guys think? Any ideas?

Hey, is anyone running the 5K Race for the Cure this Saturday (June 5th) in D.C.? I'll be there :) Hopefully it won't rain monkeys like it did last year!

Bjolly- I think orientation lasts 5 days, but I'm not 100% sure.

Priya

5 days sounds tedious, oh well.

I think a get together in June would be a great idea.

Has anyone heard anything about orientation? Why are they taking so long to send info to us? I hope it isn't just me in the dark!