UMD interview reschedule thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinetre233333

Reaction score
I recently got an interview from UMD; but my work usually don't let me to take off :( and I feel awful to just skip work for the interview or vice-versa... I called the admission office about my concern and the lady told me I will be fine reaching out with rescheduling, but other people (online and in real life) told me not to do it b/c it looks bad. It is my top school too...My work place requires me to take off ahead of time before x number of weeks, so I am not sure what to do...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it would look as horrible to reschedule as you might think. People do have problems with the dates provided and like you said, need more time to give their job a heads up. I would say it could be more problematic if you have to reschedule past the December 15th date as you'd then be fighting for less seats.

It's going to be up to you what you want to do, but if dentistry is your true calling, hopefully, your job can understand the importance of this interview.

Did you tell your supervisor that you may need this flexibility since your are applying for dental school? I don't know where you are working, but this could have been worked out beforehand. Respect the rules of your job, or quit. (This is happening more than desired.)

If you have to take time off that far ahead of time, work with your supervisor and the dental school to make it work.

It's not ideal, but if work is not flexible, you will get some sympathy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got an interview from UMD; but my work usually don't let me to take off :( and I feel awful to just skip work for the interview or vice-versa... I called the admission office about my concern and the lady told me I will be fine reaching out with rescheduling, but other people (online and in real life) told me not to do it b/c it looks bad. It is my top school too...My work place requires me to take off ahead of time before x number of weeks, so I am not sure what to do...
Receiving an interview invitation from your top choice school is something most students hope for. Given this situation, my honest recommendation would be to explain the situation to your employer. Personally, I consider the dental school interview to be of utmost importance, and I can't imagine an employer who wouldn't feel the same way. I suggest speaking to your employer as soon as possible. Please keep us updated on how it goes.

Just my 2 cents

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Receiving an interview invitation from your top choice school is something most students hope for. Given this situation, my honest recommendation would be to explain the situation to your employer. Personally, I consider the dental school interview to be of utmost importance, and I can't imagine an employer who wouldn't feel the same way. I suggest speaking to your employer as soon as possible. Please keep us updated on how it goes.

Just my 2 cents

Nancy
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your support! I did talk to them about this, and I wouldn't need to reschedule with UMD. But, I still kept UMD informed about the situation b/c my employer isn't quite the easiest to talk to in terms of taking off before x number of weeks. Thank you for the encouragement, though!

Did you tell your supervisor that you may need this flexibility since your are applying for dental school? I don't know where you are working, but this could have been worked out beforehand. Respect the rules of your job, or quit. (This is happening more than desired.)

If you have to take time off that far ahead of time, work with your supervisor and the dental school to make it work.

It's not ideal, but if work is not flexible, you will get some sympathy.
Thank you I appreciate your insight :) this is very helpful. It made me feel a lot less anxious about this situation.

I don't think it would look as horrible to reschedule as you might think. People do have problems with the dates provided and like you said, need more time to give their job a heads up. I would say it could be more problematic if you have to reschedule past the December 15th date as you'd then be fighting for less seats.

It's going to be up to you what you want to do, but if dentistry is your true calling, hopefully, your job can understand the importance of this interview.
That make sense! Thank you so much for your help and insights! It's a big relief hearing what you said.