UMDNJ admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine who is having some problems getting into dental school. One particular school he is interested in - UMDNJ - told him that because he got C's on general chemistry (both semesters) they probably won't accept him. He also has C's in other classes but his GPA is ok. The UMDNJ interviewer said C's in chemistry especially hurt him. Are C's really that bad as long as you show gradual GPA improvement? Anyone have problems with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Aero047 said:
I was talking to a friend of mine who is having some problems getting into dental school. One particular school he is interested in - UMDNJ - told him that because he got C's on general chemistry (both semesters) they probably won't accept him. He also has C's in other classes but his GPA is ok. The UMDNJ interviewer said C's in chemistry especially hurt him. Are C's really that bad as long as you show gradual GPA improvement? Anyone have problems with this?

I interviewed there, as an IN STATE resident. got my rejection letter dec. 1.

ok, well I got below a C on some classes (such as ORGO 1 AND 2) and I got a C+ in chem 2. it looked bad. even though i re-took orgo 1 and 2 and got b+ second time around... dr. linfante, coordinator of admissions, was like, oh, "well what about the kids who maintained a As and Bs, we prefer them more", after I asked him what about the fact that I improved.

how'd he do in orgo? they do look at that. dr. linfante told me they really do focus on the PRE-REQUISISTE science grades. Even though I had 21, 21 in chem and orgo and a 24 bio in DAT.

"look at the whole applicant" my @$$!! all about GPA.

dentwannabe said:

ok, well I got below a C on some classes (such as ORGO 1 AND 2) and I got a C+ in chem 2. it looked bad. even though i re-took orgo 1 and 2 and got b+ second time around... dr. linfante, coordinator of admissions, was like, oh, "well what about the kids who maintained a As and Bs, we prefer them more", after I asked him what about the fact that I improved.

how'd he do in orgo? they do look at that. dr. linfante told me they really do focus on the PRE-REQUISISTE science grades. Even though I had 21, 21 in chem and orgo and a 24 bio in DAT.

I think that he got a B or something in his orgo classes. He's an in-state applicant too, which was why I was hella surprised when they said he pretty much had no chance for the 2006 cycle. I agree, unfortunately it's all about GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who got a few C's from his science classes (and he never retook those classes either) but still got in. His gpa is ~3.2 but his DAT scores are solid. I would disagree on that it's all about gpa. You have to keep in mind that gpa is a significant part of your application as a whole, which is why it is important... but it's not only about gpa.

:oops:
dentwannabe said:

hmm... i don't really think it's only about gpa.. really. my sophomore year in college == terrible grades one semester... including a withdrawal (non science), a "D" in one class (science), a "C" in another class (science) and a "B" (non science).. of course i addressed this in my essay and actually retook a couple classes coming out with MUCH better grades but in the end my interviewer was more impressed with the WHOLE PACKAGE- experience, volunteering, research, leadership, etc. (and just to add, my transcript wasn't all that great ... add in a couple transfers, high/low grades early college years - although by the third and fourth year i've brought 'em all up to "A"s and some other stuff i'd rather not mention...). :oops:... or.. maybe i just got lucky?. :oops:

saycheese said:
:oops:

hmm... i don't really think it's only about gpa.. really. my sophomore year in college == terrible grades one semester... including a withdrawal (non science), a "D" in one class (science), a "C" in another class (science) and a "B" (non science).. of course i addressed this in my essay and actually retook a couple classes coming out with MUCH better grades but in the end my interviewer was more impressed with the WHOLE PACKAGE- experience, volunteering, research, leadership, etc. (and just to add, my transcript wasn't all that great ... add in a couple transfers, high/low grades early college years - although by the third and fourth year i've brought 'em all up to "A"s and some other stuff i'd rather not mention...). :oops:... or.. maybe i just got lucky?. :oops:

do you mind if i ask what was your DAT and GPA

mines is, overall: 3.01, sci: 2.98, DAT: AA/TS/PAT = 22/23/16