UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

So is it one page per essay for a total of 2 pages? Or is it one page total?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)"

To me it sounded like they wanted 1 essay answering both questions limited to one page. That's what I did and was accepted.

Thanks! I don't know why I was having so much trouble understanding directions!!!

I have to confess, I apparently don't know how to read either..lol. I started to write them as 2 essays, and all I kept thinking was "I feel like this should really be one essay" :rolleyes:haha..thanks for the clarification!

Hello All,

What are the approximate dates for the following for UMDNJ-SOM, assuming the application is complete for the 2011 cycle.

First interviews held?
First acceptance given?
If accepted, deadline date?
First wait list given?

Are there any updates on the average stats of accepted students?

I have a 3.6 science and 26 MCAT. Research and lots of volunteer hours. NY resident. Is this competitive? my mcat has really made me nervous about even sending in my secondary app

you will never know if you do not try. Not sending in the application is a sure way not to get an interview nor a potential acceptance.

I received an email today saying that UMDNJ received my primary and would like to invite me for an interview. This is before I have even sent in my secondary and they are requesting that I send it before they officially schedule an interview.

Previous applicants or anyone that knows, is this a good sign or is it common for them to do this?

Wow, ktruon, very interesting. I am not sure, but I would say getting an early interview invite certainly is a good sign. Congratulations! I'm curious though, are you a New Jersey resident?

No, I'm an Illinois resident.

I received an email today saying that UMDNJ received my primary and would like to invite me for an interview. This is before I have even sent in my secondary and they are requesting that I send it before they officially schedule an interview.

Previous applicants or anyone that knows, is this a good sign or is it common for them to do this?

keep us updated...i'm wondering too!

Is anyone else having problems sending letters to UMDNJ via interfolio?? I can't click check out when I have UMDNJ listed as the school. I have had no problems with any other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the secondary snail mailed? Also, is the essay supposed to be typed right under the question (that large blank space)?

do UMDNJ accapt out of state students? and any ideas what kind of % students are from OOS?

thanks

Is the secondary snail mailed? Also, is the essay supposed to be typed right under the question (that large blank space)?

Secondary is downloaded off the website and then snail mailed. I typed my essay on a separate paper

Can someone post the questions to the secondary please? I'm still waiting on my primary to be sent in (the woes of public school transcript offices) and wanted to get an early start.

Greatly appreciated! :)

This happened to a friend of mine that decided not to submit secondaries. He got a call during the Fall telling him that he would get an interview if he submitted.

You have your MCAT score in, right? IMO, UMDNJ-SOM seems like they are trying to grab people as quickly as they can, more so than other schools; as if they are trying to strengthen their student body or something. I donno.

IMO, UMDNJ-SOM seems like they are trying to grab people as quickly as they can, more so than other schools; as if they are trying to strengthen their student body or something. I donno.

Be very careful what you post. It is very well known that many, if not all, adcoms from medical schools read SDN. It is not as anonymous as you may think.

This happened to a friend of mine that decided not to submit secondaries. He got a call during the Fall telling him that he would get an interview if he submitted.

You have your MCAT score in, right? IMO, UMDNJ-SOM seems like they are trying to grab people as quickly as they can, more so than other schools; as if they are trying to strengthen their student body or something. I donno.

Yes, my mcat scores are in and I submitted my secondary last week. Let's see what happens.

Be very careful what you post. It is very well known that many, if not all, adcoms from medical schools read SDN. It is not as anonymous as you may think.

That is good advice.

Although, I didn't mean to critisize. I was just suggesting that UMDNJ - SOM seems especially intent on building a strong class - more so than other schools. That's a good thing, right?? :laugh:

Yes, my mcat scores are in and I submitted my secondary last week. Let's see what happens.

You'll be fine. My friend said that the interview was very relaxed. Good luck!

That is good advice.

Although, I didn't mean to critisize. I was just suggesting that UMDNJ - SOM seems especially intent on building a strong class - more so than other schools. That's a good thing, right?? :laugh:

No worries. You just have to realize that people may take what you write the wrong way because in this type of communication you lose body language, facial expression, and tone inflection.

UMDNJ-SOM is a strong program and keeps striving to making it stronger. I do not know why they are recruiting as that is not information I am privy to. But there is nothing wrong with recruiting the best and the brightest. Heck, they do it in college all the time for sports.

My point is, be careful what you say and in a forum, be careful how you word things. They may not be taken the way you intended it to be.

No worries. You just have to realize that people may take what you write the wrong way because in this type of communication you lose body language, facial expression, and tone inflection.

UMDNJ-SOM is a strong program and keeps striving to making it stronger. I do not know why they are recruiting as that is not information I am privy to. But there is nothing wrong with recruiting the best and the brightest. Heck, they do it in college all the time for sports.

My point is, be careful what you say and in a forum, be careful how you word things. They may not be taken the way you intended it to be.

This is so true.

BTW, has anyone been able to send letters via interfolio!? I still can't get it to work and Interfolio has been entirely unhelpful. I need to get my letters in!

fyi... UMDNJ only requires a pre-med committee or 2 sci faculty letters. You don't have to have one from a DO, but I called the admissions office to ask if I should still submit one if I have it, and she said definitely YES.

i recieved my secondary a month ago, I still have not mailed it in. I wanted to wait for my second MCAT scores and for me to raise the fee. I am planning on sending my secondary this week. My MCAT scores do not come in untill August 17th and my teachers are not sending my committee letter until after they recieve the score. I did not think the LORs timing would hurt me. Everyone I have spoken to has said its okay if the LORs come in later. For those of you who know the answer, what do you think?

It's best to send in the secondary and just get the LORs in as soon as you can. :)

Thanx Bunches, I sent it in priority mail yesterday! I finally have the $90.00. I hope I do not lose out for waiting so long...

This is so true.

BTW, has anyone been able to send letters via interfolio!? I still can't get it to work and Interfolio has been entirely unhelpful. I need to get my letters in!

No! I haven't either and it's really frustrating. And it seems to be a problem only with UMDNJ-SOM all of the other schools worked.... :confused:

No! I haven't either and it's really frustrating. And it seems to be a problem only with UMDNJ-SOM all of the other schools worked.... :confused:

Use another browser. I had to try firefox, chrome and ie before IE finally worked. It was really frustrating. I called and confirmed, everything has been received. Just gotta wait now. :thumbup:

any idea when I can expect my seconday.
I submitted my primary on 6/28/2010.

Does anyone know if we can send more than the required TWO letters of recommendation?

I too got that email about them telling me they'd give me an interview when i submitted my secondary.

I did that a few weeks ago and haven't heard back; i called and they are still reviewing it. Little strange considering they were ready to give me an interview pre-secondary. oh well.

Patience is a virtue...

Hey everyone,

good luck to you all in this really frustrating application process!

Just a quick question: I know this school is very IN-state heavy, but I am from CT (a state with no DO school) and am really interested in this school. I have a 3.53 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA and a not-so-great 25R on the most recent MCAT (I am retaking in Sept 2010).

Is it worth it to apply to this school?

I was born, raised, educated (all the way through college) in Jersey. Lived there until my late 20s. I've been in NYC for 4 years now. Will UMDNJ still consider me to be an OOS student?

Because you live in NYC...

IS or OOS is based on where you currently live, and have done so for typically the last 6mo. (some states its longer, for example - MA - to qualify in state, you have to have lived there for noneducation reasons for like 5yrs).

You have lived in NYC for 4 years, you are a NY resident and i assume are registered to vote there and hold a NY Drivers license.

Some schools take into consideration 'ties' to the state - which you have considerable. But you are still OOS at this point in time UMDNJ

Corresponded with the school and they said to list my permanent address as my family's address in Jersey.
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm not sure if you will get the IS tuition for the first year though. Worry about that bridge when you are about to cross it though boss. One thing at at time...

Anyone know when first interviews typically go out? or even rejections?

From last cycle, the admissions committee met on the third week of every month. So any day now people should start hearing something if they get together this month and follow the same trend. Otherwise they would get together this time next month to give out October interviews but I think it's likely that they will start that late.

Good luck

"Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)"

To me it sounded like they wanted 1 essay answering both questions limited to one page. That's what I did and was accepted.

Thanks! I don't know why I was having so much trouble understanding directions!!!

I have to confess, I apparently don't know how to read either..lol. I started to write them as 2 essays, and all I kept thinking was "I feel like this should really be one essay" :rolleyes:haha..thanks for the clarification!

Wow, I really should have read this thread a long time ago. I keep holding off on submitting this secondary because I couldn't think of anything to write for what I thought was the second essay, because the questions overlapped so much! Thanks fellow SDNers

they really need to start interview invites. I get disappointed everyday when i see they have not started yet

Don't worry. It'll be coming soon. :)

I just received an email today saying that we will be having a tour guide orientation on September 7, so that we can show you around the day of your interviews. Also, unlike the other schools that schedule you for an interview months away, when UMDNJ called me, they asked if I would like to come in that week.

that would be rough because i'm OOS