UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off the waitlist!! :)

To everyone on the waitlist, I was told the only thing that can change your position is MCAT/GPA. That being said, if you have updates to either of those you should submit them immediately. My GPA update put me right at the top of the list (From the middle)

Good luck! See you guys in August!

would you mind telling me what your gpa was and how much it moved? i am in a similar position i was in the middle of the waitlist and i just sent my grades in moving my gpa up

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the percentage of people who are accepted from the wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
is there any way around getting the required student laptop that they give you (and the subsequent $997 they add to the student fee)?

is there any way around getting the required student laptop that they give you (and the subsequent $997 they add to the student fee)?

No. There were too many compatibility issues with exam software before, so this is their solution.

Can any one currently attending this school give me the pros and cons??? Thanks

Hi all,

I am in a very difficult position in deciding my fate in terms of which school I am going to attend. I am still currently wait-listed at UMDNJ-SOM, at the top 10% and the list has been moving very slow. I have a deposit at NSU-COM (Florida) and have been very stressed in planning my move and deciding if I should wait on UMDNJ-SOM to stay closer to home.

I feel my chances are slim on getting into UMDNJ but after reading more about the bill and the petition, I am even more worried and not sure if it is worth it to wait for UMDNJ.
Is SOM really at risk for losing accreditation in the merger process and will the quality of education be greatly affected? Is it a risk I should be willing to take?

Should I just not take any risk and go to NSUCOM?

I would greatly appreciate any advice from any of you, especially those who are currently students at UMDNJ.

Please help me out. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who reads this.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am in a very difficult position in deciding my fate in terms of which school I am going to attend. I am still currently wait-listed at UMDNJ-SOM, at the top 10% and the list has been moving very slow. I have a deposit at NSU-COM (Florida) and have been very stressed in planning my move and deciding if I should wait on UMDNJ-SOM to stay closer to home.

I feel my chances are slim on getting into UMDNJ but after reading more about the bill and the petition, I am even more worried and not sure if it is worth it to wait for UMDNJ.
Is SOM really at risk for losing accreditation in the merger process and will the quality of education be greatly affected? Is it a risk I should be willing to take?

Should I just not take any risk and go to NSUCOM?

I would greatly appreciate any advice from any of you, especially those who are currently students at UMDNJ.

Please help me out. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who reads this.

UMDNJ SOM is not in danger of loosing it's accreditation. From what I read, it seems that UMDNJ SOM will keep it's accreditation otherwise the school won't merge with Rowan. I am fairly positive I read that. Also, no one is supposed to be cut till 2014 in terms of firing employees.

I am not a UMDNJ SOM student but I am an applicant for the fall 2013 class. In my opinion, if you have that many doubts about UMDNJ, maybe you should take the safe route. I heard UMDNJ have a slow moving waitlist regardless and it is getting close to time to figure out apartments and what not. I guess the 2 biggest questions for you is "Is UMDNJ worth the risk. Do I HAVE to go to that school" and the second one would be "When do you want to start medical school?". If you wait out for UMDNJ and they say no, then you might have to apply for following year.

It sounds like your questioning UMDNJ and your unsure. Make sure you go to a school that you love. I hope that helps.

Accepted last week :) can't wait!

of course!
mcat: 30P
GPA: 3.49