UMDNJ- DO/MPH program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puddlemini

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this probably belonds in the MPH forum but I couldnt find any related topics discussing dual degress over there and the only similar topic was on the allopathic forum from 5 years ago.

Needless to say, I'm looking for some newer perspectives...

One of my undergraduate majors is Public Health so I thought this program looked interesting. Do any of you have experience with such programs or have any information about them? Good/bad?

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed there, I expressed a lot of interest in the dual program so Paula introduced me to the Dean/Director of the Public Health program there.

Not many students do the dual degree, unfortunately. I love PH and I think every med student should get an MPH. You express interest and the committee will evaluate you after your first year if they want you into the program. It depends solely on your grades, I believe. If you get in, you will stay for another 2 years (don't quote me on this, maybe it's 1 if you have prereqs done at your undergrad with a PH major/minor).

The program I believe focuses on a lot of policy.

Sorry that is all I can tell you. If you are interviewing there, ask to talk to the PH Director. She's very nice. Everyone there is nice.

I'm finishing my MPH now so I can answer any questions you may have. The big thing to keep in mind is that public health focuses on a more broad level than medicine. Public health is about community interventions and overarching policy changes while medicine is more individualistic. There of course is some overlap, but if I had to sum up the difference very very briefly that is how I would do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Vega07. It sounds like an highly accelerated program. I was kind of wary about the course load but it seems like I dont have to worry about that just yet; I have to focus on actually getting in (and doing well) first!

It's good to know that I dont have to do anything extra from the initial application process...

Do you like the atmosphere at UMDNJ guydudcl371? I was actually looking into the program because PH is one of my undergrad majors...

the atmosphere at umdnj is awsome. ill be starting my masters of biomedical sciences there and one of the main reasons ill be doing it there is because the faculty and staff are extremely helpfull, friendly and have a sincere interest in your success. The students are also quite friendly as well. except for a select few like elftown who goes there the rest are great. :D

The hardest part? getting in....

oh no...you did not just diss my boy elftown!!!

yeah...I got waitlisted at umdnj, so I would concur with Dr Yiot about getting in being the hard.

oh no...you did not just diss my boy elftown!!!

yeah...I got waitlisted at umdnj, so I would concur with Dr Yiot about getting in being the hard.
yeah elftown is pretty wikidi wack. hes a bum

and hey at least you interviewed. ive been complete since 9/23 and they have shown me ZERO love. even though i would love them uncondtionaly if they just gave me the chance.

I am in the DO/MPH program at Nova and the reason why I like it because it gives me a break away from just memorizing facts all day and has more of a community focus on diseases. Its typically a 2 year program but Nova allows us to take it in 5 years with a extremely discounted tuition rate. Some of the teachers are great some or not but thats probably everywhere you go

yeah elftown is pretty wikidi wack. hes a bum

and hey at least you interviewed. ive been complete since 9/23 and they have shown me ZERO love. even though i would love them uncondtionaly if they just gave me the chance.

:laugh:... this made me laugh so hard

Lol I'm glad. That's what I strive for on these forumns

I am in the DO/MPH program at Nova and the reason why I like it because it gives me a break away from just memorizing facts all day and has more of a community focus on diseases. Its typically a 2 year program but Nova allows us to take it in 5 years with a extremely discounted tuition rate. Some of the teachers are great some or not but thats probably everywhere you go

Extremely discounted rate?