UMDNJ grading system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anthroguy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if UMDNJ was on a P/F type system or gave letter grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know why they don't just call them ABCDF, lol
Maybe because you can't get a D and actually pass? I'm assuming that Low Pass is actually passing still. :p

I think a D is still passing at my school. Isn't it an F for a reason?
At my school, if you got more than one C in a course in your major, you're automatically on academic probation for your major. If you get two, there's a review...and you could be kicked from your major.

I think a D is still passing at my school. Isn't it an F for a reason?
Also, for noobs who are reading this, getting a C- or a D in undergrad is not the same as medical school. I know that at one particular school, getting below a 70 constitutes as not passing. Coming from a source. Low Pass is 70-75. We will check on this though.

We're not studying our butts off to just pass...

Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, and Fail

robert wood has low pass i hear but i'm pretty sure we don't. its H (90-100), HP (80-90), P or F. P dep on the discretion of the prof. in most classes, 65 (most classes)/67 (physio). no curving usually. genetics prof is cool cuz he gives 4 pop quizzes w/ the chance 2 get 10% added 2 ur final grade (so i got > 100, wish i could do as well in all my classes but not 2 b). u really do need 2 get 90 or above 2 get honors. HP/P is not 2 hard usu but getting that H requires u put in the hours esp if quizzes r 25-30 q's (exams r usu 40-60 q's), missing a couple takes u down a letter grade already - and that could b from not getting enough sleep, being sick, misreading the q, etc...not just not studying. so u really have 2 b on top of ur game.

anyways, gotta study 4 physio final 2morrow. lost alot of hours due 2 a migraine and even w/ the Rx meds, i'm still feeling not well but at least well enough 2 get up now.

and in grad school, a B- was failing 4 us. and oh, ur idea/standard of just studying 2 pass will change (trust me, dunno if its good). as dr k said during the orientation, "the bell curve will shift"...and also his most important piece of advice which i should've heeded more, "don't fall behind" - which is really hard not 2 w/ the volume of material they give. i really gotta give props out 2 my classmates who were non-sci majors and didn't have some of the classes b4 cuz i know if i didn't have some of the background from having been a science major, i'd b dead right now w/ my lack of study skillz.

robert wood has low pass but i'm pretty sure we don't. its H (90-100), HP (80-90), P or F. P dep on the discretion of the prof. in most classes, 65 (most classes)/67 (physio). no curving usually. genetics prof is cool cuz he gives 4 pop quizzes w/ the chance 2 get 10% added 2 ur final grade (so i got > 100, wish i could do as well in all my classes but not 2 b). u really do need 2 get 90 or above 2 get honors. HP/P is not 2 hard usu but getting that H requires u put in the hours esp if quizzes r 25-30 q's (exams r usu 40-60 q's), missing a couple takes u down a letter grade already - and that could b from not getting enough sleep, being sick, misreading the q, etc...not just not studying. so u really have 2 b on top of ur game.

anyways, gotta study 4 physio final 2morrow. lost alot of hours due 2 a migraine and even w/ the Rx meds, i'm still feeling not well but at least well enough 2 get up now.

and in grad school, a B- was failing 4 us. and oh, ur idea/standard of just studying 2 pass will change (trust me, dunno if its good). as dr k said during the orientation, "the bell curve will shift"...and also his most important piece of advice which i should've heeded more, "don't fall behind" - which is really hard not 2 w/ the volume of material they give. i really gotta give props out 2 my classmates who were non-sci majors and didn't have some of the classes b4 cuz i know if i didn't have some of the background from having been a science major, i'd b dead right now w/ my lack of study skillz.
Thanks for the information. I thought I got that from the UMDNJSOM website, but I could be wrong. :) I hope you feel better. Best of luck on physio tomorrow.

Thanks for the information. I thought I got that from the UMDNJSOM website, but I could be wrong. :) I hope you feel better. Best of luck on physio tomorrow.

thx - as long as i don't move my head or stand up, i'm better enough now 2 read some 4 physio but pretty much at this point, most of our grades r locked in (though physio isn't). some of the info on the school website is outta date. download the student handbook from the website - its long but just got revised this yr (i think they revise it every 2 or 4 yrs, can't remember). the 4th yr rotation info needs 2 b changed since they just took out a family med elective and replaced it w/ a general elective thx 2 the work of our diff classes' curriculum reps.

i talked 2 the office about updating and making the website more user friendly (add match list, info about sim-man, standardized patient lab, organize the curriculum in2 nice tables, etc) and its in the works. just will take a while 4 IST and the admis office 2 iron out the details. plus, pls remember guys, our admis office ppl r great but i would guess overworked. alot of private schools have money 2 have big staff 2 do all these sorta things, but we have 2-3 ppl working on all of it. and they really r cool and listen 2 students' ideas and wanna b helpful. i'm working w/ them on a couple of projects that should b useful 2 u but will mention them later when the details have been more finalized...

maybe they changed it for you guys but for us:

90-100 Honors
80-90 High Pass
70-80 Pass
65-70 Low Pass

Course directors have the ability to modify that but rarely do. Honors is very hard to get in most classes because the exams are challenging

I have never received a low pass, knock on wood, so I am not sure what happens if you do, if anything, but it looks bad on a transcript of course. If you start failing a course the academic affairs office gets on you pretty fast and gets you tutors and stuff from what I hear. Med school is very challenging but most people make it, my class is pretty intact midway through second year.

maybe they changed it for you guys but for us:

90-100 Honors
80-90 High Pass
70-80 Pass
65-70 Low Pass

Course directors have the ability to modify that but rarely do. Honors is very hard to get in most classes because the exams are challenging

I have never received a low pass, knock on wood, so I am not sure what happens if you do, if anything, but it looks bad on a transcript of course. If you start failing a course the academic affairs office gets on you pretty fast and gets you tutors and stuff from what I hear. Med school is very challenging but most people make it, my class is pretty intact midway through second year.

heya nate,
u could b right that they split the P/LP...though then the LP varies by prof cuz 4 physio its a 67 (though in our lecture notes packet, they only put H, HP, and P 4 physio) and 65 for others. we never talk about LP when discussing grades (just H, HP, P) but now that i think of it, i think nate is right about there being a LP (sorry my bad, guess that's what happens when 1 has only half or less of a brain functioning from a migraine). i guess ppl never talk about LP cuz they really don't wanna get it.

i know if u fail, u can remediate during break but 4 some subjects its really hard 2 pass (like biochem) since the final 4 biochem is usu not cumulative (though physio is cumulative) but the remediation final is (and i would never wanna take a cumulative biochem final:) ). either way, kiddies, its not P/F but basically real grades w/o a curve disguised w/ different letters (H, HP, P, LP). there r a couple of 2nd yrs in our 1st yr biochem class who had 2 redo the class or the whole yr (i think 2 and 2, though i heard 12 ppl failed biochem last yr??? don't know how that is possible cuz there ain't that many 2nd yrs in our class, unless they remediated or took summer school) so they prob won't kick u out if u don't pass. i think if u get a LP, u still pass but like u said, it looks bad...but don't worry guys, i have a friend who did pretty well but had 1 LP at robert wood and still went 2 harvard 4 her res (and harvard was in the top 6 for her specialty at the time) - but she did rock her boards steps 1 and 2! come in w/ the right mindset 2 work ur a$$es off and don't worry about things like that.