UMDNJ-MBS Newark Pre-Med Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neozj13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys -

I was recently accepted into Newark's UMDNJ-MBS program. I'm pre-medical right now and hope to go to either MD or DO school in the future.

Can anyone who is currently in the program tell me what it's like. Are the classes INSANELY tough? Is it cut-throat? Do a lot of the graduating pre-medical students get into an MD or DO school? Does UMDNJ accept any of their own into their DO program?

Thanks!

P.S. - I also need A LOT of help deciding which program to choose of the following I got into. I just want to go to the place that gives me the best chance of getting into medical school. So please feel free to tell me if any of the others seem like a better bet:

Drexel - MBS Program
Barry - MSBS Program
Rosalind Franklin - BMS Program
UMDNJ - MBS Program
TCMC - MBS Program
LMU - PMSP Program

Waiting to hear from:

Tulane - One year masters in cell/molecular biology
USF - Molecular Medicine Masters

I'm having a tough time deciding!
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
RFU MBS or UMDNJ MBS in my mind unless the USF program you're referring to is their IMS program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say this a lot...but call a few med schools to see what their opinion is. Also, go where you feel the most comfortable living for a year. No point in getting into a situation where you're not happy. Doing very well in any program will get you noticed.

As for some more concrete advice...the more med school classes offered, and assuming you do well in these classes, the more options to med school you will have afterward. The flip side is if you don't do well, you will have no options. Less competitive programs will be a bit easier academically, but there is a trade off since obviously there are other people from the more difficult programs that will stand out over you in the application process. You need to gauge your short-term and long-term goals and go from there.

Personally, I just want to get into D-school somewhere, I'm not too picky, so I plan on doing the Barry or Tulane One Year program (June 15th decision date wtf?? :mad:). I would probably choose Tulane since it is much cheaper and New Orleans is a pretty fun area...although it might be all doom and gloom what with the oil spill. Don't get me wrong, I plan on working my ass off during the week, but I definitely have a work hard play hard mentality :).

Best of luck deciding!