UMDNJ (Newark) and Temple - livable places?

Started by thewza
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thewza

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know about these areas? I know that Kessler is a phenomenal program but I have heard terrible things about Newark. Is it livable there?

Also I have heard that Temple is in a terrible part of Philly. Any thoughts on these two places?
 
Do not live in Newark. West Orange and Livingston are nearby.
Do not live near Temple. Regular sounds of gunshots. Some nice surrounding neighborhoods. I think Manayunk is too far out from the hospital, but would be a cool place for singles. Old folks live in Lower Merion, as does their older money.

Lots of nice places to live at by both programs, but nothing real close to the hospital is that good. TJU has some decent housing within a few blocks, just not entirely affordable unless married to another resident.
 
The living situation at UMDNJ/Kessler is pretty nice. You spend more of your time in West Orange (where Kessler is located- a very nice suburb) than you do in Newark. Newark has some nice areas, actually, but overall only a few residents live there. If you check out the UMDNJ website, they have some suggestions of where to live.

When I was a resident there, I lived in Montclair for 2 years, and Berkeley Heights for another year. Montclair is a fun city in its own right- it's a college town with a fun little downtown area, great affordable resteraunts, cute little shops, very safe. It's where Yogi Berra, many of the NY Giants, SI columnist Peter King, and many NY city business people live. Very nice area.

Berkeley Heights was a nice, quiet suburb, most notable as the home of Bell Labs.

There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in close proximity to UMDNJ- Summit, West Orange, Springfield are all nice neighborhoods popular with the residents.