UMDNJ-NJMS Masters Program Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m0nkeymanxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Ok, so I'm sitting on 4 waitlists for medical school but I want to be prepared just in case i don't get in this year. I've been out of school for awhile and need to take classes (the topic has arouse in a few of my interviews) and I think it would be a good idea to get a Masters. I've been doing lab research for awhile with a few publications during my time out of school. My GPA is a 3.5 and MCAT score of 31.

I wanted to know what programs you signed up for in the application. There's Master of Biomedical Science and Masters of Science in Biomedical Science. I'm was trying to find information on the website but was unable to. Which one would you think would better suit me?

Thanks

John

Members don't see this ad.

m0nkeymanxx said:
Hey Everyone,

Ok, so I'm sitting on 4 waitlists for medical school but I want to be prepared just in case i don't get in this year. I've been out of school for awhile and need to take classes (the topic has arouse in a few of my interviews) and I think it would be a good idea to get a Masters. I've been doing lab research for awhile with a few publications during my time out of school. My GPA is a 3.5 and MCAT score of 31.

I wanted to know what programs you signed up for in the application. There's Master of Biomedical Science and Masters of Science in Biomedical Science. I'm was trying to find information on the website but was unable to. Which one would you think would better suit me?

Thanks

John

I signed up for the MS in Biomed. I think MBS is a better degree, especially if you want to go to medical school. I think the MS might be geared more towards people who want to pursue a PH.D or use the masters as a terminal degree. Jus what I think. I think for the MS you have to do some research, while theMBs you don't have to.

So then the majority of people on here that plan on going to medical school are getting a MBS instead of MS?

Members don't see this ad :)
m0nkeymanxx said:
So then the majority of people on here that plan on going to medical school are getting a MBS instead of MS?

Not sure, but it seems like in your case, with all that research experience, medical schools don't really need to see that you did more research. I'm surprised your not applying to medical schools now, I mean you have some decent stats.

i did apply. I'm on four waitlists. If i don't get in I'll have to apply again and i know during interviews they're going to ask if i've been taking classes.

Thanks for the help

Oops. Sorry, it's been a long week, in the middle of finals. :scared:

anyone else know anything??

djyujin said:
Not sure, but it seems like in your case, with all that research experience, medical schools don't really need to see that you did more research. I'm surprised your not applying to medical schools now, I mean you have some decent stats.

Hi Everyone ;) ,

I applied to the UMDNJ Masters program :eek: . I too was unsure as to whether I should pursue a Masters or a Masters in Science in Biomedical Sciences. In the end, I've decided to complete a Masters (non-thesis) so that I'll have both the stats and time to apply to med school :idea: . In addition, since I have past research experience, I was not really interested in doing more research. All I want to concentrate on is med school. :love: MED SCHOOL MED SCHOOL MED SCHOOL :) :love:

Feel free to send me a PM!

The MS looks slightly better because it involves research and a thesis, however you end up having to take less classes than the MBS students. If you already have a strong research background then I would concentrate on just taking classes for the MBS.

I spoke with Dr. Ingoglia, the Admissions director, earlier this month and he told me that you can always switch from one to another later on in the program if you end up deciding to pursue research and vice versa.