Umdnj-njms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frankrizzo18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter on January 16th from UMDNJ-NJMS that declared I was placed on an alternate list. Is this any different than a waitlist? Do people on this list gain eventual acceptance? Thanks,

Frank

Members don't see this ad.

frankrizzo18 said:
I received a letter on January 16th from UMDNJ-NJMS that declared I was placed on an alternate list. Is this any different than a waitlist? Do people on this list gain eventual acceptance? Thanks,

Frank

Hey Frank,

I received the same letter this past weekend. I am not sure if people on this list gain eventual acceptance, and I am assuming that's hard to gauge. Its very discouraging, but we are not out yet. I do know that many people accept schools just to have assurance; then they bow out once they get into other schools they prefer. I feel that this is especially true of state schools, where there are generally more applicants.

Keep the faith...and let us know if you find out anything. :thumbup:

I received this letter a while ago too! Yes, its pretty much their waitlist. Very discouraging. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yes the alternate list is the same thing as a waitlist, just makes it sound better. dr. heinrich says that after interviews are over with(sometime in feb), they'll have the final rankings for people on the alternate list and they take off people based on those rankings. however, i heard from a friend who was waitlisted last year that there isn't much movement on the list.

they stop interviewing in february? i thought they interviewed through march?

Last edited:
NehsNairb said:
yes the alternate list is the same thing as a waitlist, just makes it sound better. dr. heinrich says that after interviews are over with(sometime in feb), they'll have the final rankings for people on the alternate list and they take off people based on those rankings. however, i heard from a friend who was waitlisted last year that there isn't much movement on the list.
Talk about feeling worse about this...I am fearing that the waitlist won't move much. When you say that they'll have the final ranksings and then take off people based on those rankings, what do you mean by "take off?" Do you mean eliminate off the list? Because the letter said that they would not look at our file until June 1.

roca88 said:
wow, i interviewed so long ago i can't even remember when, and i've been told by the to keep waiting, and i magically have not been given this 'waitlist' letter, though i expect it in the mail everyday. i've heard of stringing people along post-secondary, but why are they stringing me along post-interview?

I would just email Dr. Heinrich directly. They knew of my "alternate list" status two weeks after I interviewed, but I didnt receive the letter until 8 weeks after my interview. Chances are, they probably already know what your status is, and Dr. Heinrich would be able to tell you over email (at least this is what he did for me). Good luck!

to be honest, i don't know exactly how their system works. dr. heinrich only gave me a vague description of how it goes down. i didn't bother asking for specifics because he seemed busy(took awhile to respond to my email). from what my friend told me, it seems like they have a tiered-system(high waitlist, low waitlist) but no individual ranking for each applicant on the waitlist. I ASSUME they review all people in high waitlist and offer acceptances to those people first. I'm pretty sure the admission office can give more details if you ask.

u guys think its ok that as a student who was done his application somewhat late (dec.), that I emailed him and asked him if he thinks i have a shot to interview this cycle, and if not, what can i do to improve my chances for next year?

Batmaan21 said:
u guys think its ok that as a student who was done his application somewhat late (dec.), that I emailed him and asked him if he thinks i have a shot to interview this cycle, and if not, what can i do to improve my chances for next year?

Absolutely. He doesnt give long replies, but he has answered all emails I sent him.

beponychick said:
Absolutely. He doesnt give long replies, but he has answered all emails I sent him.

cool -how long before he replies, in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
Batmaan21 said:
cool -how long before he replies, in general?

Sometimes he replies that same night (usually very late at night) and sometimes the next day or the day after. Im sure he receives a ton of emails, so just be patient. But unlike some other administrators, he will answer your emails.

beponychick said:
Sometimes he replies that same night (usually very late at night) and sometimes the next day or the day after. Im sure he receives a ton of emails, so just be patient. But unlike some other administrators, he will answer your emails.

In all seriousness, he should get a reward for all the hard work he puts in for studentds.

medhacker said:
In all seriousness, he should get a reward for all the hard work he puts in for studentds.

Hey! So you are definitely going to PCOM? Congrats!

beponychick said:
Hey! So you are definitely going to PCOM? Congrats!

So far yes...but who can, with precision, predict the future, right?

medhacker said:
So far yes...but who can, with precision, predict the future, right?

It's a great school! :)

beponychick said:
It's a great school! :)

yes beponychick

I really can't complaint, thanks

has anyone gotten into njms? if so, what else are you waiting for? are you definitely going there?

i got into NJMS...yes they do have a 3 tier waitlist.

the top tier people all get in
only some of the second tier people get in (depending on the year)
the third tier people never get in

so if u are waitlisted it wud be good to find out where u stand on the waitlist

feel free to PM me with questions

ASDIC said:

do you know how many people they have in each tier?

ASDIC said:

whoa...i talked to Ms. Lettman last week ..and she told me that there wasnt very much waitlist movement...so i HIGHLY doubt a entire tier is gonna make it in......but a few peeps do get in!..just keep in touch with Dr. H! hes a great guy. :luck:

The ranks have not yet been decided on

its still early...remember ppl start withdrawing starting in the spring and this will free up the spaces in the class, causing the waitlist to move

Last edited:

Last edited:
well the immediate post-interviewees who got accepted will be given the first priority and then if theres space, the waitlist shud move

the waitlist always moves!

ASDIC said:
well the immediate post-interviewees who got accepted will be given the first priority and then if theres space, the waitlist shud move

the waitlist always moves!
ya it move like 5 spots...

heres wat NJMS does...it accepts over 300 students....as do a lot of other schools to fill their spots. Now May 15th rolls around...and people will start to withdraw from the school....so the final number will be around 170. Now, if the number that finally accept is 168..then 2 people will move off the waitlist. Past history shows..that there is VERY LITTLE waitlist movement. Its simple. :thumbup:

this info is coming straight from the TOP!

also remember that NJMS is a rolling admissions school...first comes first serve.....

Greeaaat. I sure hope it moves more then that this year. Im meeting with Heinrich on Feb 9th ill be sure to find out as much info about the process as possible.

drguy22 said:

heres wat NJMS does...it accepts over 300 students....as do a lot of other schools to fill their spots. Now May 15th rolls around...and people will start to withdraw from the school....so the final number will be around 170. Now, if the number that finally accept is 168..then 2 people will move off the waitlist. Past history shows..that there is VERY LITTLE waitlist movement. Its simple. :thumbup:

also remember that NJMS is a rolling admissions school...first comes first serve.....

you mean, if they number they finally accept is 172... then 2 people will move off the waitlist...

right? ;)

Last edited:
femmedargent said:

my thoughts exactly and i havent even been waitlisted yet, however im starting to think that being accepted right away is nothing more then a dream.

gotgame83 said:
my thoughts exactly and i havent even been waitlisted yet, however im starting to think that being accepted right away is nothing more then a dream.

yeah, me neither. now instead of waiting for a phone call, i'm waiting for a letter in the mail.

roca88 said:
i think he meant that after all the withdrawals occur by may 15 (from the total "accepted' number of say 300) if there are 168 people who have held their acceptance (meaning 132 withdrew), then 2 will be pulled from the waitlist to make the total 170 accepted. so the waitlist is there to add people to the class if the number of accepted ppl falls below 170...right?
correct...sorry if i phrased it incorrectly....

Wow.

I think I've have officially lost all hope of getting into NJMS. Its pretty obvious that the waitlist doesn't move much at all. Most of the people on this thread that know what they are talking about say it...and I asked Heinrich a similar question in an email, and he wrote, "The waitlist has not moved much in the last two years, but that changes year to year."

To me, that means, "the waitlist is not moving," and it also means that the chances of me being 1 of 2, or even 1 of 5 to get in come June are horrendous.

I've been on SDN for about 2 months, and I must say, that I read so many posts that make me sick, eg, posts from those with about 30 interviews, complaining that they don't know what to do. Or better yet, a post I saw the other day of someone saying how "fun" it was to interview at so many places....give me a damn break.

SDN is such a helpful place in essence - but people like that should be tarred and feathered. I, for one, only interviewed at NJMS as so far, and because I got waitlisted, my chances of med school in fall 2006 are extremely dim so late in the appl. game. And I must say, this fact is very disheartening. It seems like 95% of SDN is filled with (lack of a better word) "losers" that really think ridiculous "problems" like the ones I mentioned....are actually problems! I wish I had those problems, you illogical idiots! (sorry for the venting)

My main point in posting this: I just want to thank those that post on this thread because it seems that everyone here understands how difficult this all is, and everyone seems pretty down to earth. I do wish you all the best of luck - femmedargent, congrats on your acceptance (I believe that's what I read in another thread).

Let's just keep updating this thread periodically - maybe it'll keep up some form of hope.

pizan0 said:
Wow.

I think I've have officially lost all hope of getting into NJMS. Its pretty obvious that the waitlist doesn't move much at all. Most of the people on this thread that know what they are talking about say it...and I asked Heinrich a similar question in an email, and he wrote, "The waitlist has not moved much in the last two years, but that changes year to year."

To me, that means, "the waitlist is not moving," and it also means that the chances of me being 1 of 2, or even 1 of 5 to get in come June are horrendous.

I've been on SDN for about 2 months, and I must say, that I read so many posts that make me sick, eg, posts from those with about 30 interviews, complaining that they don't know what to do. Or better yet, a post I saw the other day of someone saying how "fun" it was to interview at so many places....give me a damn break.

SDN is such a helpful place in essence - but people like that should be tarred and feathered. I, for one, only interviewed at NJMS as so far, and because I got waitlisted, my chances of med school in fall 2006 are extremely dim so late in the appl. game. And I must say, this fact is very disheartening. It seems like 95% of SDN is filled with (lack of a better word) "losers" that really think ridiculous "problems" like the ones I mentioned....are actually problems! I wish I had those problems, you illogical idiots! (sorry for the venting)

My main point in posting this: I just want to thank those that post on this thread because it seems that everyone here understands how difficult this all is, and everyone seems pretty down to earth. I do wish you all the best of luck - femmedargent, congrats on your acceptance (I believe that's what I read in another thread).

Let's just keep updating this thread periodically - maybe it'll keep up some form of hope.

Listen, I totally understand where you are comming from, but I think you are being a bit harsh. Many applicants do not get in on the first try (I am one of them) and improve their applications and re-apply. Is this your first time applying to med school? See what you can do better to improve your application for the next round. I know it is disheartening, but it certainly isnt anyone's fault... especially the people on SDN. I applied for the 2004 entering class, interviewed at 3 allopathic schools (NJMS rejected me outright, and I was a NJ resident) and did not get into any of those schools. I went and did my masters, improved my MCAT score, and was successful this time around. There are definitely things you can do that will get you in. Are you a NJ resident? Have you interviewed at RWJ?

Anyways, I wish you luck and really do hope you are one of those people who gets in to NJMS off the waitlist. Just keep emailing Heinrich. :) :luck:

PM if you have any questions.

beponychick said:
Listen, I totally understand where you are comming from, but I think you are being a bit harsh. Many applicants do not get in on the first try (I am one of them) and improve their applications and re-apply. Is this your first time applying to med school? See what you can do better to improve your application for the next round. I know it is disheartening, but it certainly isnt anyone's fault... especially the people on SDN. I applied for the 2004 entering class, interviewed at 3 allopathic schools (NJMS rejected me outright, and I was a NJ resident) and did not get into any of those schools. I went and did my masters, improved my MCAT score, and was successful this time around. There are definitely things you can do that will get you in. Are you a NJ resident? Have you interviewed at RWJ?

Anyways, I wish you luck and really do hope you are one of those people who gets in to NJMS off the waitlist. Just keep emailing Heinrich. :) :luck:

PM if you have any questions.

I agree with most of beponychick's sentiments. I just got in last night after 2 years of applying, a lot of heartbreak and anxiety and even depression in these past few months. It's not over for you by a long shot, and definitely PM me if you need some support or advice.

I understand your disdain for some of the people on this forum; I share some of your sentiments, and it all just seems so random and unfair sometimes. Yes there's some people who have never known defeat, and have no idea what we've gone through and what you're going through. You'll end up having much more compassion as a doctor i think by having to struggle a bit for your goals.

Just remember that no one here is inherently any better than you and yes, people who didn't deserve to get in got in, and you and many others who definitely did deserve to get in may not have. That's the way the fvcked up process works. Do you want this badly enough? It'll happen. And remember that it'll be that much sweeter when you finally succeed.

If indeed you end up taking another year to improve your application, remember that this is as much an opportunity as a setback. No matter where you stand at this point, you can improve yourself in so many ways and have a good time doing it if you have the right attitude.

Talk to the people you have to talk to and do what you must. Remember that in a few years you may very well outperform these cocky overachievers.

Best of luck.

femmedargent said:
I agree with most of beponychick's sentiments. I just got in last night after 2 years of applying, a lot of heartbreak and anxiety and even depression in these past few months. It's not over for you by a long shot, and definitely PM me if you need some support or advice.

I understand your disdain for some of the people on this forum; I share some of your sentiments, and it all just seems so random and unfair sometimes. Yes there's some people who have never known defeat, and have no idea what we've gone through and what you're going through. You'll end up having much more compassion as a doctor i think by having to struggle a bit for your goals.

Just remember that no one here is inherently any better than you and yes, people who didn't deserve to get in got in, and you and many others who definitely did deserve to get in may not have. That's the way the fvcked up process works. Do you want this badly enough? It'll happen. And remember that it'll be that much sweeter when you finally succeed.

If indeed you end up taking another year to improve your application, remember that this is as much an opportunity as a setback. No matter where you stand at this point, you can improve yourself in so many ways and have a good time doing it if you have the right attitude.

Talk to the people you have to talk to and do what you must. Remember that in a few years you may very well outperform these cocky overachievers.

Best of luck.

Femme, congratulations on your acceptance!! I am so happy for you! It is always great to see people who struggled a bit but still reached their goals in the end.

I think it will hurt anyone to think that perhaps they deserved to get in more than another person. I dont think Pizan should think that because that will just cause more misery for him/her. I think above all else, you HAVE to stay focused, and I agree - this is not a setback by any means. I have had such a wonderful time and learned so much since graduating in 2003... These have surely been the best years of my life and I would encourage anyone to look at years trying to get in not as a "waste of time" but rather as a chance to do things that you may never have a chance to do. This excitement and these experiences will come through in interviews, at least I think it did in my case....

But yes, we have several people here who worked their asses off trying to get in after failing the first time... Those people will provide the most valuable advice for you.

Good luck to everyone still waiting... I am on the dreaded NJMS waitlist too, but am very fortunate to have other places to go in the Fall!!! :)

beponychick said:
Femme, congratulations on your acceptance!! I am so happy for you! It is always great to see people who struggled a bit but still reached their goals in the end.

I think it will hurt anyone to think that perhaps they deserved to get in more than another person. I dont think Pizan should think that because that will just cause more misery for him/her. I think above all else, you HAVE to stay focused, and I agree - this is not a setback by any means. I have had such a wonderful time and learned so much since graduating in 2003... These have surely been the best years of my life and I would encourage anyone to look at years trying to get in not as a "waste of time" but rather as a chance to do things that you may never have a chance to do. This excitement and these experiences will come through in interviews, at least I think it did in my case....

But yes, we have several people here who worked their asses off trying to get in after failing the first time... Those people will provide the most valuable advice for you.

Good luck to everyone still waiting... I am on the dreaded NJMS waitlist too, but am very fortunate to have other places to go in the Fall!!! :)
Hey guys,

After re-reading my post, it did sound a bit harsh, and to be honest, I don't think it came off correctly. Of course I am disappointed at this point, but for some reason I still do feel some hope. There is a drive inside of me to do this, and whether it takes me longer than I expected, I will continue to strive. Of course, it is a bit annoying to see people post dumb, almost arrogant questions on SDN, but I don't have disdain for SDN or anyone - especially anyone who's been posting here. Its up to me to stay focused and challenge myself further during this time.

And I completely agree that I will take this as an opportunity (if I don't get in) to grow and keep reaching - not to just sit around moping. I understand all of this, and appreciate its worth. I really wasn't trying to complain; to be honest, the post was more of a positive shot out to those on this thread that seem to be down to earth about this whole thing. If I sounded very negative, I sincerely apologize.

Thanks for all of your kind words, guys. I have considered them, and I appreciate them.

By the way, I am an NJ resident (and a male), and I graduated from Boston University this past May, so I have taken this first year off from school - I work as a clinical research assistant at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Any ideas as to how I can increase my chances come June, and/or what can I do for next year if it doesn't work out?

As always, thanks.

pizan0 said:
I, for one, only interviewed at NJMS as so far, and because I got waitlisted, my chances of med school in fall 2006 are extremely dim so late in the appl. game. And I must say, this fact is very disheartening.

This is not necessarily true. I didn't get any interviews until January and I got them throughout and up until March. Even if being interviewed now = waitlist, being on multiplie waitlists gives you better chances than only one. Oh also, nothing against drguy but I would reserve calling information valid unless its coming from dr. heinrich himself only, especially since he seems so willing to talk to applicants. I totally tripped myself up on sdn last year, driving myself nuts on things i read and most of the time, it didn't apply at all.... any questions on my personal situation, let me know... I am a Jersey resident, although I did not apply to NJMS.

pizan0 said:
Hey guys,

After re-reading my post, it did sound a bit harsh, and to be honest, I don't think it came off correctly. Of course I am disappointed at this point, but for some reason I still do feel some hope. There is a drive inside of me to do this, and whether it takes me longer than I expected, I will continue to strive. Of course, it is a bit annoying to see people post dumb, almost arrogant questions on SDN, but I don't have disdain for SDN or anyone - especially anyone who's been posting here. Its up to me to stay focused and challenge myself further during this time.

And I completely agree that I will take this as an opportunity (if I don't get in) to grow and keep reaching - not to just sit around moping. I understand all of this, and appreciate its worth. I really wasn't trying to complain; to be honest, the post was more of a positive shot out to those on this thread that seem to be down to earth about this whole thing. If I sounded very negative, I sincerely apologize.

Thanks for all of your kind words, guys. I have considered them, and I appreciate them.

By the way, I am an NJ resident (and a male), and I graduated from Boston University this past May, so I have taken this first year off from school - I work as a clinical research assistant at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Any ideas as to how I can increase my chances come June, and/or what can I do for next year if it doesn't work out?

As always, thanks.

Hi Pizan,

It's great that you are working at Sloan-Kettering... You should continue to do so if you enjoy what you are doing. To see how you can improve, you have to first evaluate if you are competitive number-wise. Are your MCATs good? Is your GPA good? I am actually working in NYC, and am doing a masters at Hunter. I started off initially just taking courses there in the graduate bio department, and then realized I can finish off the masters (only 30 credits). You can take courses at night which will not interfere with your work (and Sloan Kettering is a short walk from Hunter).

If your numbers are good, perhaps you are lacking in community service? I would try to objectively look at your own application (or have someone else do it) and see what the weak points are.

Just got the "alternate" list letter in the mail today. It says to not expect anything to happen untill june 10th... I would almost have rather had a rejection. Hopefully another school will reach out for me soon.

Hello Guys

For those who got waitlisted, do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks

:love:

medhacker said:
Hello Guys

For those who got waitlisted, do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks

:love:

Did I give you my stats already medhacker? I forget what I say to who! :laugh:

drguy22 said:

I understand you go to umdnj so maybe you know better then everyone else, but I got this info from the most recent usnews report:

--------Applied-----Interviewed---Accepted----Enrolled
Total: 3,853 --------776---------416----------172
In-state: 1,021--------N/A---------347----------149
Out-of-state: 2,832--- N/A----------69-----------23
Women: 2,090---------N/A---------216-----------83
Minorities: N/A---------N/A--------- N/A ---------N/A
International: N/A------N/A--------- N/A----------N/A
Hope that puts some of you at ease. Ive looked at alot of the usnews data and honestly undnj-new jersey accepts way more then other schools typically do in terms of filling their class. It seems that most schools offer around twice the number of acceptances in comparison to the number of seats, whereas umdnj-nj accepts almost 2.5 times their class size. Assuming the data I got is correct it would seem pretty logical that their waitlist would have to see some considerable movement given that they offer so many acceptances.

sanche60 said:
I understand you go to umdnj so maybe you know better then everyone else, but I got this info from the most recent usnews report:

--------Applied-----Interviewed---Accepted----Enrolled
Total: 3,853 --------776---------416----------172
In-state: 1,021--------N/A---------347----------149
Out-of-state: 2,832--- N/A----------69-----------23
Women: 2,090---------N/A---------216-----------83
Minorities: N/A---------N/A--------- N/A ---------N/A
International: N/A------N/A--------- N/A----------N/A
Hope that puts some of you at ease. Ive looked at alot of the usnews data and honestly undnj-new jersey accepts way more then other schools typically do in terms of filling their class. It seems that most schools offer around twice the number of acceptances in comparison to the number of seats, whereas umdnj-nj accepts almost 2.5 times their class size. Assuming the data I got is correct it would seem pretty logical that their waitlist would have to see some considerable movement given that they offer so many acceptances.

From what I know, NJMS doesn't just send out mass acceptances (i.e. 300) at any specific point in time. They have a specific amount of acceptances floating around at any one time (usually around 180). So a lot of people get their acceptances and then back out if they get into their top choice if NJMS isn't already so. Just by comparing the people who are at the first luncheon in january to the one in may, you can see there is a considerable amount of change which is contrary to what Heinrich states at the first luncheon ("the class has pretty much been determined"). To me it seemed that at least 1/3 of the people i saw at the first luncheon were missing/different at the 2nd luncheon. Often times at the first luncheon students are deciding between NJMS and RWJ so they quickly run over to RWJ afterwards for comparison.

The reason why its dangerous to throw out more acceptances at any one time is that there is no formula to determine exactly how many students will accept the invite to attend. Its just not possible every year that out of the 300 that are given acceptances, the final number always ends up around 170-180ish. The class size doesn't change much from year to year (always about 175ish) so imagine if 250 kids accepted their seats at NJMS. They don't have enough seats to accommodate that many students. That's one reason why from what I am told they have only 180 or so acceptances floating around at any one time.