umdnj or nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdoclau

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help umdnj-som or nova

Members don't see this ad.

I like NSU, but these are some things to consider...

-Attendance policy
-Dress code
-Tuition $10,000 more per year than UMDNJ
-Probably have to move during third/fourth year
-Florida: nice, but humid

Nova's class of 2011 seems like way too much fun to pass up being a part of, though. 10k per year, in the grand scheme of things, won't be that much money - especially if you're still in your 20's. (PLENTY of time to pay it back!)

OP - are you keen on the nice weather? Is your family in NJ? Then either way it's a no-brainer.

Members don't see this ad :)

-Attendance policy
-Dress code

-Tuition $10,000 more per year than UMDNJ
-Florida: nice, but humid

NSU has both of those? What are they?

NSU has both of those? What are they?

Yep. I think they lower your grade if you miss more than 20% of classes or something like that, and the dress code requires either professional dress or scrubs with a white coat. From what I understand, the thing that sucks about the attendance policy is that nsu has a really traditional curriculum with lots of classroom time, so you can be in class from 8 to 5 lots of days, which can really cut into your studying time.

UMDNJ has some sort of attendance policy, but it's very light.

where are u originally from..where do u wanna do ur residency...where is ur family located...do u like the cold? ...

NSUCOM Class of 2011 in the hizzzouse!!! :love: :love: :love:

I think the two best things about UMDNJ is 1) They have a hospital right next door so rotations in 3/4 year are close and 2) EVERYONE gets instate tuition rates :)

NSU's attendance policy isn't too bad (from what M1's and M2's have said) and the dresscode is not a factor at all. You mean I can wear pajama's (scrubs) to class? Score!

Oh yeah, and Ft Lauderdale beaches > Joisey shore!

NSU! Great facilities and it's Florida.

First of all, where's the poll??! I want a poll, darn it!! :smuggrin:

Second of all, I just want some reasons why people choose UMDNJ BESIDES the tuition? Gimme a break - is my class going to be full of people who are just there because they feel like they got a bargain??!!? It will be like shopping at Target for 4 years! How NOT fun is that going to be? :sleep:

Second of all, I just want some reasons why people choose UMDNJ BESIDES the tuition? Gimme a break - is my class going to be full of people who are just there because they feel like they got a bargain??!!? How NOT fun is that going to be? :sleep:

Other reasons to vote for umdnj -- small class size that seems pretty cohesive and cooperative. Philadelphia's a neat city. You don't have to move for clinicals, and it seems like everyone gets a good clinical experience. At NSU, good clinicals seem a little more a matter of luck. Also, umdnj has tons of their own residencies, which has to be an advantage with matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still debating... especially every morning that I have to get up and go to the hospital in the freezing cold

but, I do LOVE IT AT SOM

I believe UMDNJ is the better choice. It could be a bit biased because I attend UMDNJ (which may be true to an extent), but I had the option to choose between Nova and UMDNJ and I chose UMDNJ.

I lived in FL for 17 years and attended the University of Florida for undergrad, but UMDNJ came highly recommended by a number of peoople including a friend of mine... a Diagnositc Radiologist who did his residency at UMDNJ.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. I just enjoy the small class size, the in-state tuition and the way things are run.

Regardless of where you go to school, remember, in the end, you're going to be a physician. If you aspire to be that "great physician", that will depend upon how much effort you put into your career.

Good luck. :D

First of all, where's the poll??! I want a poll, darn it!! :smuggrin:

Second of all, I just want some reasons why people choose UMDNJ BESIDES the tuition? Gimme a break - is my class going to be full of people who are just there because they feel like they got a bargain??!!? How NOT fun is that going to be? :sleep:

Orthodoc: if you don't mind me saying as much, you seem pretty cynical about UMDNJ. What's your beef?? The public seems to think its a great school; 2 day I attended a Princeton U job fair and all the kids were congratulating me on my acceptance 'cause they thought it was a great school...

NJ has its own teaching hospital. That in itself OWNS.

Orthodoc: if you don't mind me saying as much, you seem pretty cynical about UMDNJ. What's your beef?? The public seems to think its a great school; 2 day I attended a Princeton U job fair and all the kids were congratulating me on my acceptance 'cause they thought it was a great school...

No beef, really. I'm just having a very hard time deciding between 2 schools and probably getting too picky about BOTH of them. You'd find that I've actually been way more critical of the other school I'm considering! Sorry if my comments weren't taken with the humor intended, sarcastic as they probably were...:oops:

I think Doctor Bagel brought up some great reasons to choose UMDNJ.

No beef, really. I'm just having a very hard time deciding between 2 schools and probably getting too picky about BOTH of them. You'd find that I've actually been way more critical of the other school I'm considering! Sorry if my comments weren't taken with the humor intended, sarcastic as they probably were...:oops:

I think Doctor Bagel brought up some great reasons to choose UMDNJ.

It's a "good" decision to have to make.

I reaaly don't see why Jersey gets such a bad rap. We have a little bit of everything - beaches, beautiful landscapes (Ie - the pine barrens), and of course, 2 of the greatest cities ever within close proximity.

Plus, unlike Florida, 90% of our population isn't geriatric....

-
-

You have too move? There are no rotations in Florida? NSU is my first choice, but I need to stay in place for 4 years, I can't move around....:confused:

Whether or not you have to move is up to how your rank the places for clinical rotations and a lottery with the school. Nova is loosing many of its clinical rotations to another newly established medical school. The only residencies affiliated with it are mainly noncompetitive ones. UMDNJ has many excellent competitive residencies affiliated with it. The attendance policy stinks. 30% attendance rate applies only to certain classes. For others, you get deductions for each lab/class you miss. It is one of the strictest attendance policies around (you have to clock in and out after/before each class). I have been told by several faculty members that Nova has the highest number of required hours of any medical school in the country. Furthermore, Nova ranks as having one of the highest medical school debts in the entire country (second to Drexel Med). I am not exactly sure why the debt amount is so high. Believe you me, 40k is a lot of money, and the cost of living here is super expensive.

Nova is loosing many of its clinical rotations to another newly established medical school.

To who?

The attendance policy stinks. 30% attendance rate applies only to certain classes. For others, you get deductions for each lab/class you miss. It is one of the strictest attendance policies around (you have to clock in and out after/before each class). I have been told by several faculty members that Nova has the highest number of required hours of any medical school in the country.

Gaaah! I thought the 30% was across the board!!!

Furthermore, Nova ranks as having one of the highest medical school debts in the entire country (second to Drexel Med). I am not exactly sure why the debt amount is so high. Believe you me, 40k is a lot of money, and the cost of living here is super expensive.

40K? Tuition is listed as 32K OOS. The cost of living is terrible though.

also need to consider that SOM curriculum revision is dead in the water and postponed to at least Aug 2008. As a faculty member supporting curriculum change this is very disappointing as more interactive learning, case based/problem based learning could only benefit. This doesn't mean that chnage is not happening in my own course....:cool:

also need to consider that SOM curriculum revision is dead in the water and postponed to at least Aug 2008. As a faculty member supporting curriculum change this is very disappointing as more interactive learning, case based/problem based learning could only benefit. This doesn't mean that chnage is not happening in my own course....:cool:

Not to be totally ignorant, but well - did that mean UMDNJ-SOM?

Whether or not you have to move is up to how your rank the places for clinical rotations and a lottery with the school. Nova is loosing many of its clinical rotations to another newly established medical school. The only residencies affiliated with it are mainly noncompetitive ones. UMDNJ has many excellent competitive residencies affiliated with it. The attendance policy stinks. 30% attendance rate applies only to certain classes. For others, you get deductions for each lab/class you miss. It is one of the strictest attendance policies around (you have to clock in and out after/before each class). I have been told by several faculty members that Nova has the highest number of required hours of any medical school in the country. Furthermore, Nova ranks as having one of the highest medical school debts in the entire country (second to Drexel Med). I am not exactly sure why the debt amount is so high. Believe you me, 40k is a lot of money, and the cost of living here is super expensive.

dont you have friends to clock in for you..jeez..as for rotation sites..i hope we dont lose anymore..im perfectly fine with the sites we have now...VA at west palm beach..Mt sinai in miami, broward gen, memorial...all good hospitals in my opinion..the attendance policy is 30% for ur basic science classes..but you pretty much have to go to all of the labs (except anatomy/histo)

Not to be totally ignorant, but well - did that mean UMDNJ-SOM?

yes that doc meant SOM, and that doc happens to run one of the best run courses we have at SOM (implements constructive feedback from students immediately).

another plus for umdnj-SOM

Cost of Living CAN be terrible if you set yourself up for it.

I live with 2 of my classmates, who I met through the roommate list that UMDNJ circulates at Student Acceptance Day, and our rent is $1137 for the entire apartment. We pay for utilities, cable and gas each month, which adds about $75/month for each of us. ~$450/month for rent isn't expensive, in my opinion. If you live alone, it's obviously going to cost you a lot more. $750+ for a single. My suggestion... bunk up with your classmates.

I moved from FL to NJ and I don't think gas, food or anything else is much different, but overall, I think cost of living might be slightly more expensive in FL.

Is it because Barry is opening a new DO school in Miami Beach? Do you know which sites we're losing? This is news to me...

Oh yea, and about dress code... after the first couple months, most people just end up wearing scrub pants with a tshirt.

Is there a relationship between UMDNJ DO school (in Stratford, NJ) and UMDNJ MD school (in Newark, NJ)?

Is there a relationship between UMDNJ DO school (in Stratford, NJ) and UMDNJ MD school (in Newark, NJ)?

Sure. They're both part of the UMDNJ umbrella. UMDNJ consists of a dental school, school of public health, nursing school, allied health, two MD programs, one DO program, and a graduate school.

So my question seems to go unanswered as far as I am concerned. I really don't know that much about either schools and I don't understand much about matches

So my question seems to go unanswered as far as I am concerned. I really don't know that much about either schools and I don't understand much about matches

What question? You posted "Please help me decide"; people posted some info. Is there anything specific you wanted to know?

What question? You posted "Please help me decide"; people posted some info. Is there anything specific you wanted to know?

I guess I want to know alittle more about the schools and talk to people that go there. I am from nj and I would like to pay the tution in jersey but I wasn't crazy about the facilites there. I really just don't know

nsucom has their own teaching hospital- it's call the broward county hospital.

yes that doc meant SOM, and that doc happens to run one of the best run courses we have at SOM (implements constructive feedback from students immediately).

Doesn't sound too thrilled w/the school, though....?!