UMDNJ----prerequisites? HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

operationteeth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i am an older student changing careers. i went to columbia university for undergrad with 3.4 gpa.

i am wondering if anyone took some prerequisites at montclair university. are dental schools particular to where you take science courses at?

and if you have any word of advice when applying to umdnj.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the general rule of thumb is they're not big fans of students taking pre-reqs at county/community colleges. Montclair, I think should be fine. You need to take Bio 1-22, Chem 1-2, Orgo 1-2 and Physucks 1-2.

The management just recently changed as the dean of admissions stepped down so I'm not sure how the new Dean is. I met her once or twice but I didn't get a good vibe from her. Dr. Linfante was awesome. Shame, he decided to step down. Anyways, in terms of applying, it's pretty much like any other school. Apply early, make sure your LORs are decent and make sure your TS and your RC are good. Those are the two DAT scores they look at, or at least that's what Dr. Linfante asked me for when I went to meet him. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck

I think the general rule of thumb is they're not big fans of students taking pre-reqs at county/community colleges. Montclair, I think should be fine. You need to take Bio 1-22, Chem 1-2, Orgo 1-2 and Physucks 1-2.

The management just recently changed as the dean of admissions stepped down so I'm not sure how the new Dean is. I met her once or twice but I didn't get a good vibe from her. Dr. Linfante was awesome. Shame, he decided to step down. Anyways, in terms of applying, it's pretty much like any other school. Apply early, make sure your LORs are decent and make sure your TS and your RC are good. Those are the two DAT scores they look at, or at least that's what Dr. Linfante asked me for when I went to meet him. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck

thank you for your response.

my friend spoke to the acting director of admissions and when she mentioned she was taking prereqs at montclair she didnt sound pleased and somewhat mentioned rutgers instead.

i dont want to take classes at montclair and waste my time they if they will not consider it. that is why i am super confused because montclair is an accredited university but she seemed to have something against it.

Members don't see this ad :)
take it at Rutgers newark or new burnswick b/c montclair & kean are kind of looked down upon next to CC in jersey. Trust me on this one. You will get your moneys worth + knowledge + pre dental committee. Montclair i remember has some cocky lady who will put you down for no reason instead of encouraging you & she is the one who will be writing your committee rec. letter forget it. MSU= throwing your money away.

PS. OP Private message me if you need more info about any 3 schools i have talked about.

why will MSU be throwing your money away? i'm a high school senior and i was really interested in Montclair. I've never heard of it before but so far it seems like their direct program is good (that is what you're talking about, right?) I'm going to be visiting the campus soon and i was really looking forward to it. could you give me some more specifics as to why it's bad? Thanks

I took some "upper-level" bio classes (300 and 400 levels) at Montclair for a semester, and they essentially were repeats of Gen Bio 1 and 2; totally not worth it. As I hear, the biology classes at RU-NB are just as hard as the UMDNJ classes, which is why UMDNJ loves RU-NB. If you want to be a true contender in the dental school admission process, go to RU- NB.

(*Note: I know that I am biased, but if you call the UMDNJ admissions office I'm sure that someone would be happy to answer this MSU vs. RU-NB question. Good luck!)

why will MSU be throwing your money away? i'm a high school senior and i was really interested in Montclair. I've never heard of it before but so far it seems like their direct program is good (that is what you're talking about, right?) I'm going to be visiting the campus soon and i was really looking forward to it. could you give me some more specifics as to why it's bad? Thanks

I dont not know if montclair has the 8 year dental program with umdnj but if you get in to that specific program than going to montclair will be worth it.

Other than that, its basically a "party" school. Since you are in high school i would suggest that you call the pre-med/pre-dent program coordinator at the schools mentioned in this thread and ask for the stats regarding to how many people got in from their school to US med program and dental schools.