UMDNJ Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sal427

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if UMDNJ has a bad reputation...I'm only asking this because when I was at another school for my interview, a member of the admissions committee joked and said who cares about UMDNJ when people where going around and saying where they interviewed.

What do you all think? That was the first time I heard something negative about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I just have heard bad things about the faculty from other students. I don't know how true this is, but I've heard the faculty isn't really out there to help you all that much. But I imagine you get those types of professors at every school.

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea if this is true but I'll tell you what I heard. UMDNJ gets a decent number of patients but there are SOME faculty members who are very disliked by their students. The biggest issue for UMDNJ is that they're paperlocked right now - there's no money going into the school, which is why they have half of a brand new clinic and why they're merging with Rutgers. One of their students told me that their new clinic isn't open to everyone - you get assigned. The class gets divided into groups and you're assigned to a specific area of the clinic. If you get the new section, that's great, if not, that sucks because you'll be there for the next 2 years.

Oh wow, thank you for all the info. This is a lot to think about!

Everyone says you should pick the cheapest dental school, but I want to look at all my options I guess.

UMDNJ is a good school, but one stat that really stood out to me when I was researching schools was the amount of students that repeated their first year:

07-08: 8 students

08-09: 5

09-10: 5

10-11: 7

this is available from the ADA files, if you click the link in my signature, go to volume 1, page 21, you can see this yourself. The # of students repeating is relatively among the highest

other than that I hear its good clinically.

gl