UMDNJ-SOM, PCOM, NYCOM Interviews?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbuck64

dbuck64
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody still waiting to hear from any of these schools for an interview?

Is it too late? Getting mildly concerned here.

All applications and secondaries in by Sept.

Any thoughts...? Someone want to offer some encouragement and/or condemnation?

dbuck64

Members don't see this ad.

dbuck64 said:

dbuck64

Same here....im waiting on those schools as well.
I know NYCOM interview process starts from december and goes till may...or thats what I heard.
PCOM's ends in March..a matter of conern for me as well.

Good luck!

I believe these 3 schools have the most # of applicants... SOM only grants interviews if you pass the "finite" requirements, ie GPA and MCAT. But their admissions cmte meets until May.

Members don't see this ad :)
dbuck64 said:

dbuck64

yeah, PCOM is a bit slow... i got interviews to 9 out of 11 DO schools and haven't heard anything from PCOM yet.... i did get an interview in mid-Jan. for NYCOM but i think it also had to do with the fact that my DO letter was from a NYCOM graduate... good luck!

thanks for the encouragement guys.....

I was in a valley.

dbuck

Next year's class is about 75% full and SOM usually interviews through May, on occasion into June. As long as there are interviews there are chances to get accepted, they do not interview specifically for the waitlist. They have more applications already this year than last year and the competition is stiff but if you are a good candidate you still have a chance so don't give up hope. Good luck

dbuck64 said:

dbuck64

Add me to the list ... not a word from these three. What gives?!?!?!? :confused: Have been accepted, put on hold, or rejected from all other DO schools I applied to. Hope we hear soon!

hang in there guys....start coming up with back-up plans early on if u havn't gotten any acceptances...I kinda wish i thought things through better this past summer...I know I woulda done a post-bacc maybe...now its too late..and I"m not looking to spend a another year without being in med school so i looked towards the caribbeans...

shaggy411 said:
hang in there guys....start coming up with back-up plans early on if u havn't gotten any acceptances...I kinda wish i thought things through better this past summer...I know I woulda done a post-bacc maybe...now its too late..and I"m not looking to spend a another year without being in med school so i looked towards the caribbeans...

I still have yet to hear from PCOM. However, I have only applied to the Atlanta campus. Is Atlanta just as competitive for admissions/interviews as the Philadelphia??

Thanks!!

7 out of 9 DO schools offered interviews to me. NYCOM is my first chopice, and i got in. Still waiting for PCOM and j'esey.
I am pretty competative i dont understand why these 2 still didnt make a decision.

TO NATE:

are you sure about the 75%?

if anyone knows it would be Nate, I assure you of this. He gives mutliple tours and is in the know of pretty much everything related to the first years as well as a good deal about the surgical residencies here. Now if you have questions for second years, there's this other guy you should talk to...

-J

I am not giving an official statement, I just know because I do a lot of the tours and listen to the admissions people when they speak

I applied to PCOM Atlanta and i was interviewed on 1/31. They typically take a month to get back to you with the interview results. I think they are short of people working there along with every thing else. The library has hardly any books and the cafetaria is a joke! I do not know about PCOM PA but the Atlanta campus is quite empty. A big difference to other school that I have interviewed. You can tell it is new and needs students!
faith2DO said:
I still have yet to hear from PCOM. However, I have only applied to the Atlanta campus. Is Atlanta just as competitive for admissions/interviews as the Philadelphia??

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
nvshelat said:
I believe these 3 schools have the most # of applicants... SOM only grants interviews if you pass the "finite" requirements, ie GPA and MCAT. But their admissions cmte meets until May.

Anybody know what the cut-offs are (for GPA and MCAT) for receiving an interview at SOM?

ohhfrealz said:
Anybody know what the cut-offs are (for GPA and MCAT) for receiving an interview at SOM?

Apparently this year the competition is super stiff - if you look on the 2010 class forum for UMDNJ, you'll see some ppl with ridonkulous stats that are getting waitlisted. When I spoke with Ms. Watkins she said they're getting a lot of 3.5/27s, which I suppose means thats where the cutoff will be. Good luck :luck:

Hey guys.. i just got a letter dated jan.30 for an interview invite (for mid march) to UMDNJ-SOM. I was complete there sometime in the middle of jan. its weird that they just say to be there for the 1:30 interview and 12:00 tour/lunch. i thought most schools start the interview day at 9 am, no? I have also applied to nycom and pcom, nycom complete in late dec. and pcom complete in med jan.. and heard nothin from them either.

Retrovyrus said:
Hey guys.. i just got a letter dated jan.30 for an interview invite (for mid march) to UMDNJ-SOM. I was complete there sometime in the middle of jan. its weird that they just say to be there for the 1:30 interview and 12:00 tour/lunch. i thought most schools start the interview day at 9 am, no? I have also applied to nycom and pcom, nycom complete in late dec. and pcom complete in med jan.. and heard nothin from them either.

Congrats on the interview. Good luck.

PCOM interview days are scheduled 8am-12 ish. All schools do things differently.

Retrovyrus said:

SOM breaks the interview day up into halves. One group in the morning and another in the afternoon. You'll get a tour/lunch from a first or second year student and then have your interview. It's really laid back. Good luck to you and everyone hoping for SOM!

-J

I was complete in early November and haven't heard a peep from either PCOM, LECOM Erie, UMDNJ, or NYCOM....I dont plan on hearing from NYCOM judging by what I have heard from the others, but I'm a PA resident and really want PCOM. It's frustrating!! :scared:

yeah! i'm not alone...i'm waiting for pcom,nycom, nj, msucom, touro-mi, nsucom, necom...

i was complete at UMNDJ-SOM, PCOM-Philly, and Western end of Oct/beginning of Nov as I had taken the Aug MCAT. got an interview invite 2 SOM via snail mail on feb 1 for an interview in the morning on valentine's day. i didn't get 2 pick the date, it was already chosen 4 me in the letter. still waiting 2 hear from PCOM and on pre-interview hold at Western. i'm a NJ resident though.

I heard from NYCOM for an interview the 2nd week of January but that's probably because I live on Long Island and I had a letter from an alumn

All my part I's were done in late september/early october and my part II's by Jan. 4th...still nothing from PCOM, NOVA, Touro, KCOM and LECOM-Erie

I just received an email today from PCOM inviting me to interview next week (2/16). Now the only school left is NYCOM. When I called them yesterday they were like you are not allowed to call us pre-interview. what beotches.

Retrovyrus said:
I just received an email today from PCOM inviting me to interview next week (2/16). Now the only school left is NYCOM. When I called them yesterday they were like you are not allowed to call us pre-interview. what beotches.

LOL, yeah the admissions ppl at NYCOM are hot/cold. You might get the really nice lady, who I've gotten on occasion, or the really mean one, who I get more frequently. Hang in there, they have a ton of applicants. :luck:

nvshelat said:
LOL, yeah the admissions ppl at NYCOM are hot/cold. You might get the really nice lady, who I've gotten on occasion, or the really mean one, who I get more frequently. Hang in there, they have a ton of applicants. :luck:
Anyone know what the numbers look like for NYCOM ie 2005? Applicants/interviewed/accepted ??

Retrovyrus said:

Good Good. Stay at the Holiday Inn or Hilton...and relax. The interview is very laid back with easy questions. Just know why you want to be an Osteopathic Doctor.

PlasticMan said:
Anyone know what the numbers look like for NYCOM ie 2005? Applicants/interviewed/accepted ??

I just called and asked because I was curious too and the lady said she doesn't know and even if they did she probably wouldn't be able to give that information out

JasonUD said:
I just called and asked because I was curious too and the lady said she doesn't know and even if they did she probably wouldn't be able to give that information out
:(

Does anyone know if NYCOM is in U.S. News and world report? I have a copy, but a friend is borrowing it.

retrovyrus: are u in state or out of state student in pa?

and msucom/wvcom were the only d.o. schools ranked in us news...they were in the top 10(i think) in primary care

Do you guys think that UMDNJ interviews outofstaters after??? My stats are good, above what someone on here posted was the supposed cutoff.
I did call them and asked, chick said they dont. However, maybe its a quite thing?

umdnj does interivew out of staters the same time they interview instaters. theres no preference; only that theres more in stateers accepted because more of them apply because its close! or something

Mz.Doctor said:
retrovyrus: are u in state or out of state student in pa?

and msucom/wvcom were the only d.o. schools ranked in us news...they were in the top 10(i think) in primary care

I live in PA.

Can anybody tell me what days of the week PCOM does interviews, and also when does the committee meet, during the middle of the month or the end of the month?

Hey guys,

When I interviewed at PCOM... I interviewed in April. Granted, this was a long time ago, but I suspect their admissions hasn't changed that much.

It seems like yesterday that I was on the outside looking in as an applicant. I went through my fair share of the application process and I remember how much of a pain in the neck it often was. The best advice I can give you guys/gals waiting for interviews is to keep on pushing ahead. Keep improving your credentials. Take those Postbacc classes. Go to gradschool and get that publication. If you keep focused you'll get there.

Here I am, about to match on Monday, and what I've realized is that time flies, whether you want it to or not. So don't just hitch a ride... Blaze a path... and one day... you'll wake up... and viola! you're a doctor.

Good Luck Guys.

shrug, paula slade specifically said theres no preference to me. maybe i misheard.

rack said:
shrug, paula slade specifically said theres no preference to me. maybe i misheard.

That's what I was told too

medhacker said:
That's what I was told too

I believe that what she tells you at the interview pertain to those interviewed not the general applicant population. Once you are chosen for an interview there is no longer any preference, this is not the same for decision on whom to interview. I also usually see about half in-state and half out-of state on interview days, sometimes more one than other.