UMDNJ-SOM secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalu728

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I printed the secondary for UNDNJ-SOM from their website...my question was that should I handwrite the secondary essay in the space provided or type it up? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

lalu728 said:
Hey guys, I printed the secondary for UNDNJ-SOM from their website...my question was that should I handwrite the secondary essay in the space provided or type it up? Thanks in advance.
I have heard of people using a typewriter or handwriting them. Personal preference. My handwriting can be rather large and I was afraid I would not fit everything I had to say in the space provided.

Apparently, type type type! But I wouldnt have thought that before this process started, but LizzyM and other are very adamant about this. Their advice is definitely don't handwrite.

Members don't see this ad :)
DRKUBA said:
Apparently, type type type! But I wouldnt have thought that before this process started, but LizzyM and other are very adamant about this. There advice is definitely don't handwrite.

I'ved downloaded the word format secondary and am typing out the entire secondary.

Why on earth would you handwrite it? If you were on an adcom, would you be willing to sit and read someone's chicken scratch??

I would type it out. However, not everyone produces chicken scratch.

Last year, I typed it on Word, made sure that the printer lined-up with a test-run and then voila, perfect! This is what I did for most secondaries. Seriously, it's not a big deal to do that, and I would recommend that much more over the handwriting suggestion.

Best of luck!

I used a program called foxit reader. It's free and it allows you to write on PDF. Looks great. You can download it for free from the net.
Good luck

i did the same as kalicokat (we'll b incoming classmates on sunday, our white coat ceremony :) ). i typed it in word and then copied/pasted it into the secondary and did a test run 2 make sure the formatting was correct. good luck

how long should our essay be?

I did not know about the PDF program last year and I just put the question in word and typed my essay under it and attached it to my secondary. My essays were about 500 words.

Received an interview and acceptance.

I just typed it up and wrote on the application see attached sheets for the essay.