UMDNJ-SOM still interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentlekev

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if any out-state or in-state applicant received interview from UMDNJ-SOM recently? E-mail or snail mail? When did you submit the secondary?
I am from NY, and submitted my secondary early Dec. The admission office told me the application is still under review.
Thank you.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't have an answer for you, but from what I've been told they hold interviews all the way until April. I submitted my secondary back in October and from what I've been told, my application has been reviewed but the admissions committee has not yet made a decision. I'm still optimistic about getting an interview and I think you should be too. Sorry I don't have any solid answers, but at least you have someone in the same boat as you!

same here man,
i sent secondary in the begining of december and no word. Application has been "under review", which i think is shaddy. This waiting period stinks because no one tells you anything except that they have your application. We will get interviews though, so dont' worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you submitted in Dec. just sit tight for a while. we accepted the last person into our class the first day of orientation so there's always hope. take it easy and enjoy the snow!

-J

If it makes you feel any better, I too am a NYer, and this is only one of two schools that I have not heard from since submitting my secondaries. I'm a bit on edge too, because this is one of my favorite choices. Its frustrating, and I forsee myself losing a ton of cash in deposits at other places...oh well. C'est la vie!

I submitted my secondary in november and got a letter for an interview in early jan. Interview is on feb 11. ALthough i did hear that the class is already half full, but that is not that many peeps since the class size is about 90. Good luck guys!

I called today and checked my status, I'm waiting to go up for review. I've been complete since August, should I be really really concerned? For those that have been interviewed what are your stats like? Because I'm assuming that's how they are cutting through the list.

good luck guys. hopefully we'll all be classmates next year.

several people have said this before, and i will reiterate, if you haven't already, definitely show interest in the school. its a small class size, and they get a lot of applicants with great stats, but stats aren't everything, they interview a very small number of students compared to other schools, so pre-interview they really try to determine who really wants to go there. so i can't stress enough how much showing geunine interest in the school can help you out.

gentlekev said:
I am wondering if any out-state or in-state applicant received interview from UMDNJ-SOM recently? E-mail or snail mail? When did you submit the secondary?
I am from NY, and submitted my secondary early Dec. The admission office told me the application is still under review.
Thank you.

Kevin
Sorry, we already have a Kevin :D (Just kidding)

Yea I definitely agree with above posters that showing interest is half the battle. Also, they are definitely still interviewing. There was an interview session this week that a friend of mine was in. I'll try and find out what her stats etc were. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

ArcherM2 said:
I called today and checked my status, I'm waiting to go up for review. I've been complete since August, should I be really really concerned? For those that have been interviewed what are your stats like? Because I'm assuming that's how they are cutting through the list.

so since you really wanted to know, my gpa is 3.45 and 28S mcat. Honestly, i really don't think that it's my stats. Are you from the area? I think that may help, i live in philly. Good luck though

gentlekev said:
Thank you.

Kevin

They scheduled me to interview on Feb. 18th...they picked the date, which I thought was weird..but at least it was a friday, so I'll go spend the weekend in NY and make a-nice-relaxing-weekend-with-family-I-haven't-seen-in-years out of it. :p

nbaffy said:
Honestly, i really don't think that it's my stats. Are you from the area? I think that may help, i live in philly. Good luck though

Mine is very similar. 3.49, 27MCAT, research, shadowing, leadership position, and a few extra curriculers. I have no idea which of those are most important. Also, admissions told me flat out that they don't differentiate between in/out of staters.

I'm another with very similar stats, but minimal hospital and research work. I did have a lot of extracurriculars though. Good luck to you guys still waiting on interviews.....I have a friend waiting for one as well, so I'll post if she hears anything. Hopefully see you all in the fall.

gentlekev said:
Thank you.

Kevin

I'm from Ny also. I submitted my secondary in Jan and received a notice for an interview next week Feb 17. I hnoestly dont know anything about how they select students. However, I would be patient and pray. I hope this helps. I'll let you know any specifics when I get there next week.

Kevbot said:
Mine is very similar. 3.49, 27MCAT, research, shadowing, leadership position, and a few extra curriculers. I have no idea which of those are most important. Also, admissions told me flat out that they don't differentiate between in/out of staters.

I actaully have an interview next week (Feb 17). Do you know what they are looking for in a student? Do you have any tips? It's my only interview and I would really want to go there since I'm from NY and Stratford is not that far away.

Riverama said:
I actaully have an interview next week (Feb 17). Do you know what they are looking for in a student? Do you have any tips? It's my only interview and I would really want to go there since I'm from NY and Stratford is not that far away.

I would say that the given interview questions are: Why do you want to be a doctor? and Why do you want to be a DO over an MD? I would especially get your thoughts together on the second question. I also talked a lot in my interview about my hospital work (which wasn't to extensive) and how I thought that my extracurriculars during school made me a better candidate to enter med school (leadership, working with people, etc.) They seemed very interested in conversations or experiences that I've had with DOs in the past, too. I also went to the website and wrote down a bunch of questions about different aspects of the school that I was curious about. (curriculum, early clinical experience, The Center for Children's Support, etc.) They gave me time at the end of their questions to ask them anything that I had on my mind. I read all my questions right off of my paper, and they seemed happy that I showed such interest.

Don't know if any of that is what actually got me the acceptance......it's just a couple of things that we went over in the interview. The whole process was very relaxed, so don't be too worried about it. Just show that you have a strong desire to be a DO and that you have been doing your best to prepare yourself for the field. Be yourself and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Drop me a private message or write here if you have any more specific questions.

Riverama said:

First of all, know that the interview at UMDNJ is LOW STRESS. Mine started out kind of nervously, but the doctor interviewing me started cracking jokes halfway through the interview. They really do just want to get to know you I think.

They're going to ask you the obvious questions. If you've done research your going to have to be able to explain your research. This is especially true if you get a PhD interviewing you.

If you write about the reason you want to become a doctor and the idea is somewhat ambiguous, they are going to want to clarify it. For example, I wrote about a friend who died of cancer. At my WVSOM interview, they wanted to know how that impacted my decision to become a doctor because it may not always be obvious to the person reading the personal statement.

They are also most likely going to ask you about your hobbies. On the interviews I've been on, what is your favorite book, what do you do for fun, what do you do with your friends type questions were always there. I found these to be the hardest because I didnt really account for them before I interviewed.

Also, very importantly, the last question they asked me at umdnjsom, was 'do you have any questions.' I would reccomend coming up with 3-4 questions to ask so that you have something to talk about when/if they ask this.

Other things you should know:

If you have been picked for an interview, it means that they are very interested.

The interviewers are there to be your advocates when the admissions committee meets.

UMDNJ-SOM has the nicest admissions staff ever. They really will make you feel at home. Relax, have fun, and congratulations on your interview riverama.

i just recieved an interview invite last week by snail mail. i was scheduled to interview on April 11th. I am declining the interview since I have gotten into CCOM and this is my first choice. Good luck to all!

Thanks for your advice. I actually didn't think that I was in but I received a call toady that I was accepted. You were right about the whole research thing. I had a lot of research experience under my belt and was asked a lot about it. See you in April 8th during student acceptance day!

take care.

riverama

Kevbot said:
First of all, know that the interview at UMDNJ is LOW STRESS. Mine started out kind of nervously, but the doctor interviewing me started cracking jokes halfway through the interview. They really do just want to get to know you I think.

They're going to ask you the obvious questions. If you've done research your going to have to be able to explain your research. This is especially true if you get a PhD interviewing you.

If you write about the reason you want to become a doctor and the idea is somewhat ambiguous, they are going to want to clarify it. For example, I wrote about a friend who died of cancer. At my WVSOM interview, they wanted to know how that impacted my decision to become a doctor because it may not always be obvious to the person reading the personal statement.

They are also most likely going to ask you about your hobbies. On the interviews I've been on, what is your favorite book, what do you do for fun, what do you do with your friends type questions were always there. I found these to be the hardest because I didnt really account for them before I interviewed.

Also, very importantly, the last question they asked me at umdnjsom, was 'do you have any questions.' I would reccomend coming up with 3-4 questions to ask so that you have something to talk about when/if they ask this.

Other things you should know:

If you have been picked for an interview, it means that they are very interested.

The interviewers are there to be your advocates when the admissions committee meets.

UMDNJ-SOM has the nicest admissions staff ever. They really will make you feel at home. Relax, have fun, and congratulations on your interview riverama.