Ride This!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey all,
just wanted to give the gouge on this school. I just spoke to their admissions office and they said they will be interviewing up till may!! This is probably why they are taking so long to get back to some of us. Does this seem extrodinarlily long to anyone else. I mean for a class size of 96(?) I would have thought they would fill fast.

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do you know if they are interviewing for the waitlist? I heard that most of their class is already full... Did the admissions person mention anything about this?

Thank you very much for calling and keeping us updated :)

mrbob719

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
Status (Visible)
I am waitlisted at UMDNJ-SOM since Jan and it is now a long waiting process. I called and they just said I have to be patient so there is absolutely nothing I can do except WAIT. I can wait all I want and still not get accepted.

About the Ads

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Status (Visible)
Is the class 96 people? Their website stated it was about 85 large? Also, was there any mention about if the class was full? thanks.

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Status (Visible)
don't forget a small percentage go into the PBL program @ UMDNJ which may account for 96 as opposed to 85 - I do not know the exact number however.

-J

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Status (Visible)
what do you mean by the PBL program? you mena problem based learning? I am a bit confused..what is the difference?

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Status (Visible)
SOM offers a PBL program for selected students. I believe you have to state interest in the program and then must be selected. These students stay together for all of medical school and are separate from the regular lecture based class. From what I have heard those in the PBL have done slightly better on boards but this may be due to their higher qualifications to begin with. If you're interested in the program make sure to ask the admissions office about it, there may also be info on their website but I'm not sure as I'll be attending the regular lecture curriculum if I attend.

Have a good one,

J

Naraku

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 1999
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
The PBLers have their own curriculum for the first two years, but they join the rest of the class for rotations. Response is mixed... some of them really liked it and some of them didn't, but that's probably just individual variation. I haven't heard anything about board scores.

They usually only take six people for PBL. The difference in reported class sizes may be due to some increases... I'm actually not sure what the new number is going to be. My class is 76 or so, and I know that the other years have more students.

Bests,
Paige

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.