UMDNJ-SOM vs. NYCOM please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krackersmc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I know other threads have been posted for the same concern, but most/all of them are from years ago. I would appreciate a current perspective, especially from a 3rd year or 4th year med student. Thank you all in advance.)

I am very excited to have been accepted at both UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM, but cannot make the final decision--which I need to do VERY VERY soon. My dilemma in selecting the right school for ME, stems from the fact that I do not yet know whether I would like to enter primary care or if I would like to speciaize in medicine. So JUST TO BE SAFE, I would like to select a school that would make it easier for me to specialize, say in a competitive field like opthamology. Is it NYCOM or UMDNJ-SOM? :confused: Right now, I think a school with a well-rounded and balanced clinical year would be most appropriapte--and specialty friendly.

In this respect, UMDNJ-SOM already looks too primary care focused. (Please feel free to disagree). I mean third year at UMDNJ-SOM involves 12 weeks of family medicine! with only 6 weeks of surgery/anesthesia, compared to NYCOM having a more balanced 12 weeks of internal medicine with 12 weeks of surgery. Clearly, UMDNJ's 6 weeks of surgery seem way too low compared to NYCOM's 12 weeks and I wonder if this may hurt me in applying to a residency in a specialty, if residency programs consider the umdnj-som clinical years as not so well-rounded/balanced or competitive. Again, Please feel free to differ ...this is exactly the kind of info. I am looking for to make my final decision.

Also, with the same " what if I choose to specialize" concern, it seems that the large number of nycom hospital affiliations, compared to only 5 of umdnj-som would increase my probability of landing a residency for specializing (i.e in opthamology, otorhinolaryngology, or what not) more as a nycom student than as a umdnj-som student. Wouldn't you agree?

OTHER things on my mind:

*I am thinking that for the first two years, umdnj-som might be the better choice over nycom (if what I have read online about nycom's poor administration, and large failing % of students each year is to be believed.) I am ok with a competitive environmet (as supposedly of NYCOM), but would like a supportive one (as it seems of umdnj-som).

**Still, I like the fact that nycom has two standardized robots stan, and peda to practice clinical skills on, while umdnj-som didnt seem to mention anything about having a standardized robot--not having which may be an underservice to my education.

***But then again, umdnj-som is so much more affordable, the cost of tuition is very reasonable--which is one of the big reasons I am still attached to the umdnj-som. NYCOM's tuition is so high. so if I choose it I want to make sure it is well worth it over umdnj-som, (specifically, in terms of landing a residency in a competitive specialty.)

****Lasly, I like the fact, the that UMDNJ-som takes care of setting up your clinical rotations for you, while at NYCOM you will have to do that on your own--similar to other schools.

***Housing, and food are also factors. Of course, housing is much cheaper in stratford than in NY, but I am willing to make a big investment, if it will be worth it over the cheaper one. I am also not very fond of umdnj-som's lecture hall (shockigly small and dark), and its miniature library. Atleast with nycom, you can go to the nyit's library space. But I can compromise with room sizes if the education (both academic and clinical is good enough).

In summary (and more):

UMDNJ-SOM points:
1. Very Reasonable tuition (GREAT!:thumbup:)
2. Housing near-by school and affordable (GREAT..as I won't have a car:thumbup:)
3. First two years education (VERY GOOD)
4. Small Class size (neutral)
5. Small/Dark Lecture room size (Not good)
6. No class ranking, Honors/high pass/pass/fail system of grading (Neutal--Well, good b/c no competition, and more comraderie b/w students, not good if want to stand out to obtain competitive residency?)
7. classes from 9-5 everyday (Not so great :sleep:)
8. *Third year Clinical curriculum (??? in case of specializing...Please Help!)
9. Standardized Robotic patients (no? are there any?)
10. Hospital Affiliations (Five--Good)
11. They set up the Clinical Rotations for you (GREAT)
12. *Reputation (unknown..in case of specializing?)

NYCOM points:
1. Very High tuition (:eek: :thumbdown:)
2. Expensive housing, and not nearby :)( Is a car needed? b/c I won't have one)
3. First two years of education (questionable--Not good?)
4. Large class size (Neutral)
5. Lecture room size (Neutal)
6. Grading (not sure?)
7. classes from 9-2pm (not bad)
8. Clinical education (GREAT:thumbup:)
9. Two standarized robots: stan and peda (Great)
10. Hospital Affiliatons (Numerous--GREAT:thumbup:)
11. you set up your own clinical rotations (Neutral)
12. Reputation (GREAT..?yes?)

Of course, if I knew right now that I would want to go into primary care, then I would have picked umdnj-som immediately, the best choice for primary care for sure. But, I don't..and have an equal chance for wanting to specialize, so I just want to be prepared if I do decide on this latter option. Any help from you to pick the right school (if I were to decide on specializing) would be very very appreciated.

Again, thank you all, in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize for the length of my post, but I really need some outside advice, and I need it urgently!

PLEASE HELP!

Congrats on ure acceptace!!!

Do you mind posting ure stats????/ Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, you have really thought this through. I'll ask you one question though, when you interviewed, which school did you just feel better at (which one had the better vibe), what is your gut telling you? I hope some 3rd and 4th years, come in and chime in. And good luck with your decision!

Also, from your posts, it seems like money isnt much of a concern for you, if that is the case, then go to NYCOM. If you are really that pressed for cash, then yes, I would say pick UMDNJ, but if you are willing to shell out the money for NYCOM, I think it's worth it. NYCOM can help you get into a couple of nyc residencies just because alot of graduates work in nyc, and NYCOM has a reputation here. So, if you think you would want to settle in nyc, then I would say go to NYCOM.

You really can't make the wrong choice, so relax a little about it.
Both schools will give you the chance to specialize in anything, so don't even worry about that, either.
UMDNJ is a much smaller class, and in some ways, it sounds like you get a good deal of mentoring as a result. That can be a bonus.
The tuition is a vast difference, and overall cost is also.
Being nearly through year 1, I can say unless you really got that "Wow, this is the place for me!" feeling at NYCOM, you're better off saving a ton of money and going to UMDNJ.

umdnj has a nice match list too, and a comparable reputation to nycom. According to US NEWS last year, both schools had about the same the primary care rate which is 45%. It is your choice in the end. It depends if you prefer living in new york then go to NYCOM. You cant go wrong with either choice. If you are instate for NJ then i would go to UMDNJ in a heart beat, its 23k tuition a year... If your OOS Then it just depends on what school you rather go to because the OOS tuition is not much lower than NYCOM's tuition.

I am a NJ resident...but even OOS can easily pay in-state tuition at umdnj-som (starting first year)

Also, from your posts, it seems like money isnt much of a concern for you, if that is the case, then go to NYCOM. If you are really that pressed for cash, then yes, I would say pick UMDNJ, but if you are willing to shell out the money for NYCOM, I think it's worth it. NYCOM can help you get into a couple of nyc residencies just because alot of graduates work in nyc, and NYCOM has a reputation here. So, if you think you would want to settle in nyc, then I would say go to NYCOM.

Actually I am very much concerned about the money, especially if going to one or the other will NOT give me an advantage come residency time for specializing. Then I would rather keep my student debt low and go with umdnj-som. After all, I plan on paying for medschool almost completely through student loans.

But if there is an advantage, then I am thinking how big is it--I mean I want to know if it is really worth the extra-actually almost double the amount of money at nycom. I am willing to go higher in debt if I get a reasonable advantage in getting my residency of choice later on.

A new question that has just popped in my mind is: Is NYCOM a more widely known-more famous institution than umdnj-som to residency programs in general (not just in ny)?

Anyway, thank you for your response:)...I was thinking about the benefit of greater # of nycom graduates. I wonder if the same would also apply to umdnj grads, if look at umdnj-njms, umdnj-rwjms, and umdnj-som together. I mean, would umdnj-njms and umdnj-rwjms grads help umdnj-som students get residencies, given that technically they would all be part of the same umbrella institution, aka--umdnj. (Also, I like jersey so have no problem staying here, but would also not mind settling in nyc if need be...nj and ny are both great places to live I think.)

You are NOT going to have any huge advantage by going to NYCOM or anywhere, really. Save yourself a heckuva lot of money.

Look at previous threads, class of threads, find out the different schools residency programs (UMDNJ has a bunch).... Just do well in school & you will match where you want to.

I am not here to sway you one way or the other. I do not know much about NYCOM and I make it a point not to bad mouth any other program. What I will do is address your concerns:

UMDNJ-SOM points:
1. Very Reasonable tuition (GREAT!)
Tuition for OOS students is on a case by case basis. However, I do believe that you need a lease and convert your Drivers License to NJ and you are considered in-state and will have your tuition reflected as such.

2. Housing near-by school and affordable (GREAT..as I won't have a car)
3. First two years education (VERY GOOD)
4. Small Class size (neutral)
With a small class size, the professors know your name. They are there to help you and to teach you. They will take the time to ensure that you know the material. You also have the benefit of knowing all of your classmates and having a fairly close relationship with them all.

5. Small/Dark Lecture room size (Not good)
The lecture room is dark because we need to see the presentation. Otherwise the lights come on. Again, with the small room the professor is right there with you and can easily answer your question. Because of the small size, everyone in class benefits from not only the questions but the answers as well.

6. No class ranking, Honors/high pass/pass/fail system of grading (Neutal--Well, good b/c no competition, and more comraderie b/w students, not good if want to stand out to obtain competitive residency?)

This is not true. Because of our system, our Deans go out of their way while writing the Dean's Recommendation that you have excelled in the coursework. The Dean will mention every class that you had a High Pass (B) or Honors (A) in in his letter. In addition, without the class rank, there is no cut throating. When a question is asked to the class, you get all of the help that you need. Please refer to the 2008 match list posted in the Osteopathic Forum. You will see that we had students match in competitive residencies including Nerosurgery, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, and Radiology.

7. classes from 9-5 everyday (Not so great )
Yes, this is on most days. However, in 2nd year this is rarely the case.

8. *Third year Clinical curriculum (??? in case of specializing...Please Help!)
You have 4 electives during your rotation years. You can do your rotations in anything the floats your fancy. Ergo, you can do residencies where you want to specialize. I personally, am thinking about adding an Infectious Diseases rotation when it comes time for me.

9. Standardized Robotic patients (no? are there any?)
Yes there are. We have Sim-Man. But we also have the simulated patient laboratories where you interact as a physician with actors.

10. Hospital Affiliations (Five--Good)
11. They set up the Clinical Rotations for you (GREAT)
12. *Reputation (unknown..in case of specializing?)
Excellent Reputation.

I hope that I have answered your questions. If there are any further questions, please let me know.

I figure the fact that you are even asking this question means you have no clue how good UMDNJ is and you should go to NYCOM and save the spot for someone else...Just kidding. I didn't interview and NYCOM -- so I can't compare.

I was very concerned about the match list too. I want to specialize too, but as long as the admin isn't forcing you to do primary care, you are good. Gotta agree with EMT2ER on this, UMDNJ has it's own hospitals where their students( as well as many other DO schools) rotate, how can you beat that?

Money is huge -- what if you fall in love with pediatrics or psych? That NYCOM tuition might force you to think optho b/c of loan repayments....I gotta go with orthodoc on this one.

:luck::luck: with your decision.

I figure the fact that you are even asking this question means you have no clue how good UMDNJ is and you should go to NYCOM and save the spot for someone else...Just kidding. I didn't interview and NYCOM -- so I can't compare.

I was very concerned about the match list too. I want to specialize too, but as long as the admin isn't forcing you to do primary care, you are good. Gotta agree with EMT2ER on this, UMDNJ has it's own hospitals where their students( as well as many other DO schools) rotate, how can you beat that?

Money is huge -- what if you fall in love with pediatrics or psych? That NYCOM tuition might force you to think optho b/c of loan repayments....I gotta go with orthodoc on this one.

:luck::luck: with your decision.

:love: Someone finally agreed with me this week!! :love:

Really, OP. Let's just say I'm wishing I'd saved a ton of money and gone to UMDNJ. That's not meant to say anything bad about where I am, it's just saying that I realize now just how much I could have had for so much less trouble, effort and accumulating debt!!

Well, thank you all for your honest opinions. As for me, after all was said and done, I decided to atttend UMDNJ-SOM!:clap: No brainer, huh:D?

Well, thank you all for your honest opinions. As for me, after all was said and done, I decided to atttend UMDNJ-SOM!:clap: No brainer, huh:D?

last thing: you dont have to live close by even without a car. The train station is short walk away so you could live in some nicer parts of SJ like haddonfield or collingswood.