UMDNJ vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girldr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have recently been accepted into both UMDNJ-SOM and NYCOM and am debating between the two schools. I would appreciate if anyone could provide me information on either school.

1. What is your opinion on the education at either school?

2. How well does either school prepare students for the boards?

3. What do you think of either school's 3rd and 4th year rotations?

4. What is your opinion on the residency options at either school? Is their an equal opportunity to complete an allopathic residency as an osteopathic one, or is the osteopathic residency favored? Does the school prepare students who are interested in specializing well?

Overall, I feel as if UMDNJ will give me a solid education in the first two years. However, I am concerned with their clinical rotations because they are only associated witht the Kennedy Health System. NYCOM is affiliated with many hospitals in the NY/NJ area.

I would appreciate anyone's response on either school. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same situation as you about few months ago. From what I heard, UMDNJ-SOM has their own university hospital which will be a hugh advantage in terms of getting what you want,(specialties, rotations). Educationwise, you are right that UMDNJ again has smaller and more effective(as for me) setting for the first 2 years. Also, UMDNJ is the biggest institution comprising of 2 other allopathic med schools, nursing, dental and bio-grad schools. You get ample opportunities to do not just osteopathic residencies but allopathic as well, since they (3 med schools in all) are all very intimately linked. Researchwise, it is the one of the most well funded reserahc oriented school, not too focused on OMT. NYCOM on the other hadnsm has great and alot of affiliated hospitals and about 50% of med school grads go into allopathic residencies. But again, you can pretty much go to any residency as you like, provided you have competitive grade and USMILE/Complx score. The thing is they also recruit many foreign med sctudents(MD's) to retrain and reeducate them to DO's, thus making the environment more competitive, along with the numbered grading system of ranks. Plus, very rigorous schedules and courses for the first 2 years. As for me, since I'm from NY, actually about 15 minites away from NYCOM, I still chose UMDNJ after extensive review and reserach. I also heard from my friends who are doctors that it is recommended to live away from home for many reasons. Overall, i like the more relaxed and quiet environment, less competitve atmosphere better. I would strongly recommend UMDNJ, even against all my conviniences and comforts. But the choice is yours according to your preference.