UMDNJ vs Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalprodigy

Mr. Awesome
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some perspective deciding b/w these two schools.
UMDNJ:
- I'm a NJ resident
- like UMDNJ
- vibe from students not soo much [could be just my experience]

TEMPLE:
- liked student confidence + sense of camaraderie there
- don't like paying extra for similar clinical experience [compared to UMDNJ]

Any thoughts appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation as you, but I think I'm gonna go with UMDNJ cause it is cheaper.....yes it is true that I got more of a sense of camaraderie from Temple, but in my opinion UMDNJ is still the better deal...plus I already know a handful of people going to UMDNJ from the gateway to dentistry program, so if you go to UMDNJ I can guarantee you that there will at least be a few cool people to chill with

Don't pay for something you have in your state. Go to UMDNJ, it is widely recognized on the east coast, no need to go to Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need some perspective deciding b/w these two schools.
UMDNJ:
- I'm a NJ resident
- like UMDNJ
- vibe from students not soo much [could be just my experience]

TEMPLE:
- liked student confidence + sense of camaraderie there
- don't like paying extra for similar clinical experience [compared to UMDNJ]

Any thoughts appreciated?

If you're a NJ resident you would be shooting your future self in the foot not to go to your in-state school and saving money. Think about it this way, assuming you're taking out loans, and the price difference (including interest), is more than 30-50k. That's a bmw (maybe used, but still). So, UMDNJ + BMW, or Temple and no BMW. But my advise might be biased because I'm waiting for a spot at Temple, lol. But my true thoughts are to really, really consider costs.

UMDNJ is obviously significantly cheaper.

But I also hear it is fairly competitive, and students arent as willing to help each other out. If you don't mind this, then its not a big issue.

Temple is clinically better.

Both are in bad areas.

It is what you value more.
1) You will prob have a better time and clinical education at temple
2) You will pay less at UMDNJ and you will live closer to home.

I would argue that the patient base aka clinical experience is similar. I wouldn't give any school an edge.

great responses... its reassuring to hear about the cost factor. I like to live a pretty frugal lifestyle and couldn't imagine paying tens of thousands of dollars more for the same education. In my opinion, I don't think Temple's clinical experience varies that much from UMDNJ and agree with "dantemac".

Thanks for helping me decide... i don't know why but i started seconded guessing my original top choice (UMDNJ) w/ TEMPLE

Sounds like the people who want to get accepted at temple want you to give up your seat.

I didn't get into Temple so my advice isn't based on personal greed. Sorry.

Disclosure: I have applied to Temple and haven't heard back yet. BUT given that I got into UMDNJ I have no longer have any desire to go to Temple. Really.

The clinical experience at UMDNJ is great because of the tremendous patient pool. In Philly, Temple has to share its patients with Penn. Regarding "gunners," everyone I've talked to at NJDS (I did Gateway) said that there are a few in every class but for the most part people are chill and willing to help each other.

Just my thoughts. If you felt more comfortable at Temple, go to Temple. You'll make the money back eventually.

As a first year at UMDNJ, I can say that my class is fantastic. Its only been a semester but everyone has been extremely relaxed and helpful. Its common on our facebook page for many people to collaborate on studying certain topics prior to exams. People share info, post pictures of their own work to help other students understand a topic better. There may be some closet gunners, but on the surface everyone gets along very well and is more than willing to help each other out. Each class has its own personality though, so your mileage may vary.

I got into both Temple and UMDNJ last year but ultimately decided on UMDNJ. Im an NJ resident and it made no sense to choose a more expensive clinical school over a less expensive clinical school. And it is NOT insignificant. Since you can't get PA residency, you will pay a LOT more to go there for the same education. I'm sure Temple is a great school, but I have been very happy with my choice.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about UMDNJ.

I was really impressed by Temple when I went to interview there. The sense of camaraderie there was amazing. Also, Brian is the coolest ADCOM I met. If UMDNJ and Temple were my only two choices and the same cost, I'd choose Temple. However, UMDNJ is about 100K cheaper making it a very difficult choice if your in-state.