UMDNJ vs. UCONN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA chica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help guys! I cannot decide. I have recieved a full scholarship to go to UCONN and a $17,000 dollar scholarship to go to UMDNJ so I would have to pay $16,000. But the thing is, I really liked UMDNJ, it was my first choice as far as location (close to my family n' friend in new york), class size (not too small and not too big) and the faculty and staff seemed very down to earth and warm. They are both good schools academically speaking, but I believe UCONN students perform exceptionally well on the board. I am considering specializing, but I feel that it is more up to the individual than the school that determines how well a student performs on the board. In contrast to UMDNJ, UCONN has a very small class size ~30, it is in the deep suburbs, my understanding is that the social scene there isn't very active.
I feel the UMDNJ is the perfect school for me, but things got complicated the minute I recieve a full scholarship to go to UCONN.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I have till the end of the week to decide.
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Can I get my Magnesium reagent back? (hahah...)

Looks like you favor UMDNJ. Being close to family will probably make you more comfortable and maybe enable you to excel so that you can specialize.

Members don't see this ad :)
No u cannot have ur reagent...lolzzzzz that's too funny

Well, first of all, congrats on your aceeptances from two great school!:)

IMO, both school's are excellent. Since I did not applied to UConn, I can't tell you much about the school but I heard very good thing about the school. Anyway, if I was in your shoes, I would choose UMDNJ. As you said, you have more close family and friends in near UMDNJ area. So I guess you will feel more comfortable attending the school. I would rather pay much and be close to my family and friends than living away from them. That's the main reason I decided to apply around tri state area. Some people will say that's crazy but everyone has different order of preference. That was my .0003 cent.;)

Anyway, I would recommend to ask 'thewirednerv' who had to make similar decision as you. I believe he had a full scholarship offer from uconn but he turned down the offer and decided to attend stony brook.

Good luck w/ your decision and now I need to think mine.
It's tough one too.:confused:

UCONN for sure you will have a very nice board score once you go there. You will be DEBT FREE very few people can say that as a dental student. I am going to UMDNJ and I can say that they are both excellent schools. But I am pretty sure if you want to specialize you need high board scores and UCONN for the past few years has consistently been at the top. good luck to you my friend.

Will your living expenses be less in nj because you are close to family? even though you have a scholarship the living expenses in ct might somewhat offset the tuition in nj. good luck and congrats

It sounds like you'd be happier at umdnj because of the environment there. I'm from ct and am very familiar with the program at uconn. it's a small class about 40, and the location is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. they spend their first two years taking medical classes in the morning and some dental classes in the afternoon. the program is very rigorous, i have friends there and they study 24/7. that is why they do so well on the boards. the clinical experience that you will get there is weak, because of the school's location. you are not as well prepared clinically as someone from buffalo or nyu, this coming from current students and graduates of the program. saying all that, i feel that if you apply yourself and work hard, you will get the board scores and the recommendations that you need to specialize no matter where you go, as well as, a more comprehensive clinical education. im in-state and turned down uconn for nyu. some people thought i was crazy, but i would have been absolutely miserable up there. another in-state friend of mine turned them down for tufts because of their middle of nowhere location. you need to be happy with where you're gonna spend the next four years of your life, you'll be a better student if you're excited about the school. 16000 is a very small price to pay considering how much you're gonna be making a few years down the road.

I have recieved a full scholarship to go to UCONN

How did you get that scholarship? I heard that finding scholarships that cover a substantial amount of dschool debt is rare much less finding a fullride scholarship.

How is this a hard decision????! free schooling at uconn vs umdnj....UCONN buddy.

I would vote for UConn. It's freaking full-ride. I wish I was in your situation.Haha j/k.
I believe graduating w/o a debt will be awsome.
Good luck!;)

If you don't mind me askig, what kind of stats do you have? Those scholarships are super impressive. I wish I got offered cash like that.

go to umdnj. you'll be happier there.. isn't that important? 16,000x4= 64,000=NOT BAD!!!! that's like one year at a private univesity. don't worry, you'll be fine paying back that amount.

last year during my application cycle, i read some unflattering comments about UConn and got private messaged about the school from a previous graduate.

while you do have to take things like that on SDN w/ a grain of salt, i'd go w/ your gut feeling and go to UMDNJ. i did the same w/ my school, i just felt a positivity and happiness w/ the students that i didn't see elsewhere. i heard that the UConn students weren't too happy.. $65k for your sanity and mental well-being is pretty cheap honestly :laugh:

i'm kind of surprised there isn't much chatter this year about UConn, maybe things are looking up there?

I can't take it anymore. You have the carbamazapine reagent?

Does anyone know the difference in living expense when comparing CT vs. NJ?

Does anyone know the difference in living expense when comparing CT vs. NJ?

i googled 'cost of living compare' and found a cost of living calculator where you could enter the city you're living in and the city you're moving to. they would tell you what the difference is. you had to choose an income, so i entered 60000. the difference between new london, ct and newark, nj was 16.22%--newark was more expensive.

another good resource for answering this question is to look at the budget sheet you received at your interview. they estimate personal expenses and cost of residence, which are two important factors.

good luck with your decision!

can they revoke ur scholarship if you dont maintain a certain gpa during dental school in uconn.. if so then i would take that into consideration and go to UMDNJ