Umdnj

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Parm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it has come to my attention that not many people have discussed UMDNJ too much. I have applied here, was invited for an interview, and was very pleased with the school overall. Yes, the place where it is situated in leaves more to be desired, but their clinical programs are one of the best in the nation. They also provide you with the "decks" you need to study for the Boards. What is everyone else's opinion about this school? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked it. But the area made me nervous especially with the student we talked to saying that it was common to be there until 2 and 3 in the morning.

I may be a wuss. But no girl wants to be walking to her car that late alone. :eek:

beannaithe said:
I really liked it. But the area made me nervous especially with the student we talked to saying that it was common to be there until 2 and 3 in the morning.

I may be a wuss. But no girl wants to be walking to her car that late alone. :eek:

It's a very good school. Super-friendly faculty. Great program. I love New Jersey but the area also makes me nervous. One UMDNJ student said that he/she moved out of Newark after hearing too many gun shots...... :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was impressed by the faculty there. Made me feel very welcome. Students seemed happy to be there. Their new clinics are nice too. I wasnt too scared of Newark, didnt see much going on around the area, but maybe at night its different. I guess you could always walk to your car with other students who will undoubtedly be there at night while you are studying. They have on campus security that can walk you to your car if need be. The price is definitely right at this school, since in-state status is easy to get. Also, i just like the feel of this school.

i agree...UMDNJ is definitely a great deal and a top choice of mine!

I didn't think much of UMDNJ going in but came out loving it. For my interview I stayed with a relative out in the suburbs so I took a train into Newark and 2 city buses to get to the school so I saw a good portion of the surrounding area (especially since I passed the bus stop at the school initially). It's definately a poorer area, but I think it's comparably better than Temple's area. I really dig new jersey tho I wouldn't choose to live in Newark

I loved the school! Like the post earlier, I didn't really know/care much about it until I visited. The area is urban but anywhere you go you need to be careful. The advantage of the area is a wide variety of cases you will see. The school is under renovations and are doing some cutting edge techie stuff. I will def consider UMDNJ if I am accepted.

ah... Derty Jersey

newark can get ugly in daytime cuz of traffic and in the night time cuz of you know what (BANG BANG!).

school is good though.

good luck to all!

Dr. Parm said:
So it has come to my attention that not many people have discussed UMDNJ too much. I have applied here, was invited for an interview, and was very pleased with the school overall. Yes, the place where it is situated in leaves more to be desired, but their clinical programs are one of the best in the nation. They also provide you with the "decks" you need to study for the Boards. What is everyone else's opinion about this school? Just curious.
It's all what u make it.
I'm a NYC girl and got my BS in Phill - So nothing scares me :)
In this day and age you always have to be aware ANYWAYS!

But how do specialty programs regard UMDNJ, a notably clinical school with far less academic focus than say...Columbia or UCONN? I hope it does not matter, as I am really interested in the school. What are your guys' thoughts?