UMiami Students Help Me Find Some Answers Please!

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey University of Miami students,

Couple of questions about the waitlist:

1) Is it ranked or do people move around?

2) Does writing a letter of intent or having additional letters sent on your behalf help? It says this on my alternate list letter that these things are "encouraged", but I'm mildly confused...

3) Does anyone know how many people have gotten off the waitlist in past years - percentage wise or numberwise?

If anyone could answer these questions I'd be grateful :love:

-DrZ

Miami_med

Moving Far Away
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Now the opposite of Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey University of Miami students,

Couple of questions about the waitlist:

1) Is it ranked or do people move around?

2) Does writing a letter of intent or having additional letters sent on your behalf help? It says this on my alternate list letter that these things are "encouraged", but I'm mildly confused...

3) Does anyone know how many people have gotten off the waitlist in past years - percentage wise or numberwise?

If anyone could answer these questions I'd be grateful :love:

-DrZ

I don't have exact numbers, but I can tell you that I know a number of people who did get in off of the waitlist. It's definitely not a death sentence. I believe that the list is ranked. In fact, I believe that Miami has every applicant ranked all the time, with individuals above a certain rank who have already interviewed holding acceptances and the next group being waitlisted. Don't quote me on the last part though. If you interviewed earlier, that's probably a good sign.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't have exact numbers, but I can tell you that I know a number of people who did get in off of the waitlist. It's definitely not a death sentence. I believe that the list is ranked. In fact, I believe that Miami has every applicant ranked all the time, with individuals above a certain rank who have already interviewed holding acceptances and the next group being waitlisted. Don't quote me on the last part though. If you interviewed earlier, that's probably a good sign.
Thanks. Do you think that rank changes based on additional info that you send. I was interviewed at the beginning of November, and I know that my interview went well, so I guess it's time to start sending in updates?

Miami_med

Moving Far Away
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Now the opposite of Miami
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks. Do you think that rank changes based on additional info that you send. I was interviewed at the beginning of November, and I know that my interview went well, so I guess it's time to start sending in updates?

It is a general rule in admissions that positive updates can't hurt and may help your cause. With regards to Miami, I don't know. I was lucky enough to be accepted in December, and I never had to make the decision. You should probably send them in.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.