UMiami vs UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyooo23

Reaction score
Miami

Pros:

1. Less money even when factoring the cost of living/ travel expenses (I received a scholarship that helped a lot. 15k cheaper a year.
  2. New 18 month preclinical curriculum (with P/F). Might be better for preparing for Step 2?
  3. Amazing clinical opportunities with Jackson/ Ryder. Diverse patient population.
  4. Brickell seems like a nice place to live with a fairly easy commute to school. I wouldn’t need to use a car.
  5. Amazing opportunities for clinical service and global medicine, both of which I enjoy a lot. This might also provide opportunities to differentiate me in the absence of Step 1.
  6. I really enj0yed Miami when I visited.
  7. I really want a change of pace for medical school and Miami seems like a great place!

Cons:
  1. They’re implementing a new curriculum so there might be some initial problems?
  2. Across the country from family/friends
  3. I’m not the biggest fan of humidity.
  4. I want to match back to CA so being in Florida might not help as much.

UCI

Pros:
  1. I went here for undergrad so I have existing friendships/mentors.
  2. My family is all here and they are a big part of my support system.
  3. I would ultimately like to match Southern California (unsure what specialty) and UCI has a good reputation in the area.
  4. Newer facilities/ lots of great study spots.
  5. The weather in Irvine cannot be beaten.

Cons:
  1. The curriculum is standard 2 years pre-clinic and 2 years of clinical, which might be the worse option after the Step 1 news?
  2. I would like to try something new for medical school.
  3. Longer commute to the medical center (20 minutes without traffic)

Neutral:
  1. Rank by quartiles. Might be a better way to differentiate yourself without Step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar position as you in deciding between UCI and an east coast school. If you need to match back into SoCal then UCI is the obvious choice. If you're flexible then do whatever will make you happier.

Reactions: 2 users