1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UMich Accepting Already

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Random Access, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

They're emailing out acceptances, yo. At least as of around 12:15 AM EDT. :)

Woohoo! (not me...friend of mine :))

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ga07

ga07 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i got into michigan! i received an email notification from the dean. it is an incredible relief to have this weight lifted off of my shoulders. for all the rest of you, best of luck, i hope it goes well.:clap:

4. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i got in as well, email, and i checked their status page...also, they said they'll send something by traditional mail soon...

hey, did everyone who was accepted by Michigan receive that "we were impressed with your credentials" email? and was anyone who received that email NOT accepted by them?

5. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

My friend did get the email (quoted in the other thread about this, I believe)...

6. Pneumo

Pneumo Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm surprised to say the least. I interviewed at University of Michigan last friday (October 11th) and received an acceptance this morning (October 15th)!

7. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow! That's uber-quick. Congrats!! :cool:

8. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know if in state people have been accepted too?

9. smid

smid Member
    7+ Year Member

I am out of state and I just got the email. I also got the "we were impressed with your MCAT and GPA" email the day after the interview.

Michigan was such an awesome interview day. facilities are fantastic (and unmatched by any of the other top schools I've interviewed at)

where do they get all their money???

10. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yep. instate. got the email today. whee! :clap:

11. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Did you guys all get the email around 12:15 am, or are they going out throughout the day?

It is my top choice and if I am waitlisted or rejected I will be absolutely devestated.

Thanks

12. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

check the status page.

they updated it with the acceptances from today.

good luck!

13. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Don't be devestated if you get waitlisted... something like half their class got in off the waitlist.

14. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member
    7+ Year Member

Got in to Umich today as well.... Hail to the Victors!

Congrats to everyone else

15. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

HELP! I need to get some news from UofM! I interviewed like ten years ago and haven't heard anything (i'm an in stater and never got an email from dean). The status page hasn't changed... would they have updated it for a rejection/waitlist? Should I call?

16. Hey Kreno,

I know exactly how you feel. I wasn't too worried at first because I interviewed this past friday (10/11). But they someone who interviewed the same day that I did got that email! Then I totally started freaking out because I didn't get anything. And I really loved UMich too when I visited! I don't know how they are contacting people for wait-lists and rejections. But if anyone knows, please post! :confused:

17. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel your pain guys! Michigan is my top choice, and I'm pretty much freaking out here. I never got the non-acceptance acceptance email either. No letter, no email, no status page update.+pissed+

So what's the verdict? Anyone calling for a status check? Anyone know if/how they notify you if you're on the waitlist, and how often they review your file?

Anyone want to go get trashed? ;)

18. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow...that's one of the few sane statements I've seen on SDN today. :D

19. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

F*ck trashed... I think I'm going to start trying some hard **** now. GOD THIS SUCKS.

K, here's the deal. Some brave person will call UofM tomorrow morning/afternoon (i say afternoon because that's when I will be waking up) and post what the secretary says there? That is.. if she says "I can't tell you **** over the phone you senile premed student" tell the rest of us so we don't 1) look like idiots and 2) bug their office too much.

I'll try and call though if I wake up relatively early. If I don't post, that means I didn't call yet... so post right after you call. BLOWY!

In all honesty though guys/girls... those of us that interviewed all ready and didn't hear OBVIOUSLY did not get accepted. We're either waitlisted or rejected. I prey for the former.

20. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

you guys even consider that they might send acceptance emails anytime after 10/15? maybe some of you will get one today. who knows?

21. gramcracker

gramcracker Emergency Medicine Attending
    10+ Year Member

Check the status page if you didn't get an email--I just found out I'm accepted, but didn't get the email!

22. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been in contact w/ the dean of admissions @ UMich, and I was told that those waiting on interviews may have to wait many more months, same with acceptance ppl.

sux.

I've never been trashed but it sounds like fun :p

23. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Two things. Just curious.. but how have you "been in contact with the dean"? Second... what do you mean you've never been trashed!?!?!

24. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

contact via modern methods of communication. Never underestimate the direct approach.

No, never been trashed. Just call me Dobson..James Dobson.. :p

25. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

so you just emailed him one day?

26. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Also, did any of you get accepted that did *NOT* receieve one of those "we were impressed with your interview" emails from the dean?

27. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I wont go into details, but contact was made via the admissions staff at the college and direct contact with a certain member on the adcom. Nothing big, just contrarian (unusual) in approach.

28. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

so should i call them to get my status?

29. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I would call, but you'll get the same answer I did: wait, we are still reviewing. I've been complete since late august, and I thought I was somewhat competitive!

30. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

WIERD! *BIG NEWS*

I just called UofM. They were really nice. They pulled up my file and they told me my file is still "Under Review." Mind you, I interviewed September 13th.

I then proceeded to ask her, specifically, if I was rejected/waitlisted... would she be able to tell me?

She assurred me that if I was accepted/rejected she would tell me and her computer would tell her. I then asked her what the heck the deal was 'cuz other people have been accepted, etc who got interviews after me! She then told me that the adcom committee is basically strange, and since they're rolling.. sometimes they put certain applications on the side for a while and come back to them.

MY POINT! THERE IS STILL HOPE! a *small* gleam of hope, but still hope.

31. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

ya, tons of hope!

I havent even been interviewed.... :-/

32. Zonata

Zonata Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed the same day as you and am still waiting for some contact. Didn't receive that damn "we are impressed email" and my status page is not updated. I was about to go and call, myself.

I get sick to my stomach thinking its probably a rejection or at best a waitlist.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope Kreno.

33. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there is still hope out there, it's WAY early in the process and umich is just quick right now. i know three people who, last year, interviewed in sept/oct and were waitlisted or had their app "set aside" for review at a later date and then were accepted off the waitlist in feb. yeah i know it sucks to hear everyone all "yay i got in at umich!" but they have 140 in their class and it is still early for all of those folks dismayed at this point.

don't give up hope just yet. it's early. best of luck! :)

34. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, tell me about it! The weird thing is... why is my application still "under review" and not just waitlisted? I mean, what's the difference? I wonder what their methodology is. Logically, it doesn't make sense.

What I think happened is I'm a good in-state applicant who was hated by one of the interviewers... so now they (the admissions committee) is in sort of a quagmire 'cuz they want me, but then my one blow interviewer doesn't like me... so they just put me aside to think about later.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Or, my application fell on the floor somewhere! GRR! BLOW

35. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Goodmonkey... thanks for the info. But how were people "accepted from the waitlist" in feb? I mean... don't they take people off the waitlist starting March 30th?

And what exactly do you mean set aside? thanks!

36. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    my best friend's husband was put on the waitlist in oct and accepted in feb. i know, weird. but he was in state, i don't know if that makes any difference.

the other people i know from years past have called the admissions office (similar to posts above) and got that "your app is still being reviewed" business post-interview. basically the adcom meets every week (every 2 weeks? i forget) and reviews ALL the apps they haven't accepted/rejected yet. so if you interviewed already and haven't heard from them, they have been reviewing your app each time they meet. one of my friends is an M3 there and has sat on the adcom and tells me that the table pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger. so that's what i mean by "set aside." they haven't rejected or accepted or waitlisted you yet, but you're in that pile that gets reviewed each time the committee meets.

sorry for the confusion, hope this clears it up.

37. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

wow. thanks for the info!

weird process

38. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I heard they do this every two weeks too.

39. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think lots of schools do... some just chuck you right on that waitlist pronto and then review you each time the adcom meets (tulane, e.g.) and others don't sent out waitlists or rejections till later in the spring and then still review your file each time the committee meets and just don't tell you until they have a final decision later (emory, e.g.).

what a weird process this all is. people think we're all anal retentive psychos, and maybe we are, but i think this admissions process has definitely brought out the AR psycho in me. :)

40. Pneumo

Pneumo Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed on October 11th, did *NOT* receive the infamous "credential" e-mail, but was accepted on October 15th.
    Hope this information helps.

41. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

not really, but thanks. you obviously didnt get the email 'cuz you interviewed on a date so close to oct 15th.... there would have been no use.

42. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Patience my amigos. Just because you're not in now doesn't necessarily mean you won't get in ever. It's a long process, and it's still only mid-October.

-RA

43. quarterdime

quarterdime New Member

OSU sent out 50 acceptance letters today (10/16)
    just thought you might want to know

44. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed on the 13th of September and just got accepted via email just now. I did not receive the we are really impressed with you email either. Don't lose faith if you did not receive any word yet.

Best of luck to all.

Regards,
    B

45. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats!! :) See: patience. :)

46. Philism

Philism Member
    7+ Year Member

To all those who have been accepted into UMich: Congratulations!

Now go outside, right now and burn 90% of your clothes. Whatever is left is what you wear during the 2 weeks of season we have which isn't winter.

47. bluegill

bluegill Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a student here at U of M Med School, and I feel the need to reassure some of you.

Just because you haven't been accepted yet does NOT in any way mean that you won't be accepted. Your pre-med advisors, your interviewers, your friends in med school have all told you that this med school admissions process is a long strange trip, and they are all correct. The only absolutely certain thing about this process is that nothing is for certain!

I am not exaggerating when I say that MOST of my friends here were once worried like you because it was late in the winter or spring when they were accepted here, or they were accepted off the wait list in the summer.

To those of you for whom U-M is your definite #1 choice: good choice, it's awesome here. Now write a letter to Katie Horne (director of admissions) that indicates that if you are accepted, you guarantee that you will attend U-M. It will not hurt your chances, and it very well might help. Obviously, don't write such a letter if this isn't true - med schools talk to one another, and you might find yourself with zero acceptances on account of your lack of integrity.

Bottom line: keep a positive attitude, and stop worrying so much. I hadn't even filled out ONE secondary at this point in the year.

48. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

wow. good job bodybuilder. i was there on the 13th.. which group were you with when you toured? was it the one with the girl and guy? kinda dorky guy... he showed us the cadaver?

jeez, i wonder if i'll hear anything

kreno

49. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

i feel bad describing the guy that helped tour us "dorky" 'cuz he was so helpful and cool. i take that back :)

50. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't remember if my tour was led by a girl and guy, but I did see a cadaver so probably.

Well, I wish you the best. I liked everyone of the interviewees I met that day so if I met you I liked you.

Anyway, best regards and good luck!

51. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Question. Is UofM rejecting or telling people they are waitlisted yet? Or are they *JUST* accepting now?