UMich Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xega

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally got my first interview, I will be at UMich on Dec 5. Anyone else going to be there with me?

Also anyone have any recommecdations on how to prepare for the interview, I really don't want to blow it.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Xega
Finally got my first interview, I will be at UMich on Dec 5. Anyone else going to be there with me?

Also anyone have any recommecdations on how to prepare for the interview, I really don't want to blow it.

just check out interviewfeedback, read your application, secondary, etc.

Definitely be able to answer the following question:

What is the biggest challenge in healthcare today? What would you do solve it?

From reading interview feedback, it seems that this question is asked to every interviewee at least once. I remember being asked this question as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Xega, are you an august mcat taker by chance? or have you been complete and waiting for some time? Just curious, I've been complete for 3 months and haven't heard anything back. Thanks, and congrats on your interview.

I'll be there on the 5th. It will be nice to meet an sdner.

Just be yourself, unless yourself has a crappy personality, then be someone else.

I'm not an august MCAT taker, I jsut applied late. Wasn't verfified till the beginning of november and didn't get the secondary request till this week, but I got an interview along with the secondary.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher

From reading interview feedback, it seems that this question is asked to every interviewee at least once. I remember being asked this question as well.

heh i didn't get this question. :clap: i did, sadly enough, at northwestern, though. we actually got to narrow it down to three problems, and had to "solve" them as a "team" in our group/panel setting while the interviewers watched. ugh. one of my interviewers at michigan and i talked about michigan public radio stations and my music preferences for a good 15 minutes! he was an older guy, with a bowtie and english teeth - it was a good interview. :)

just eat really well before your interviews, if you can. :D. 3 back-to-back and i was starving in the middle of the third one. other than that it was very, very low-key/low-stress. the 2 profs i talked to were really awesome and the student was cool. probably one of the lowest-stress interviews i've had. you'll do fine if you're sincere...:)

When did you get this Dec 5th interview? I got my interview last week (the 12th maybe?) And they told me they were booked through Jan. My date is Jan 16th :(

Originally posted by Street Philosopher

Yup... Had this in my first interview there!

just to chime in on what others said. dont stress too much about the interviews. for me, it was more experience and amcas-file based then random musings on the healthcare system, although I weaved that in there b/c alot of my work has to do with that subject. The people there are really nice, so just be enthusiastic about who you are as an applicant. The dean seems really cool and all the people there take pride in the Michigan institution, so I was pretty hyped about the school.

i think interviews help your case ALOT, especially if you have a flaw or two in your app.

congrats on the invite!
i found the day was really fun but rather rapid fire in the sense that all of your interviews are back to back to back. in some ways this is better than having huge hours to kill between your interviews as i have had at other schools. I didn't get the healthcare question but I did get a "where do you see yourself in 20 years"..followed by "how would michigan help you reach those goals ,etc". i also had a strength/weakness question from my student interviewer. good luck!

My student interviewer asked me why I put my academics and research ahead of community service in my time at college. Tough question. (I did have a bunch of extracurriculars and hobbies and other well-rounded stuff, but did pretty much no community service while in college)

I haven't received the interview packet from them yet, but do they tell you who your interviewers are beforehand or do you find out once you get there?

I found out about my interviewers after I went to the interview itself. All i knew was that I would have more than one (3 i think) from SDN interview feedback.

Hope this helps!

-Ice

Originally posted by Xega
I haven't received the interview packet from them yet, but do they tell you who your interviewers are beforehand or do you find out once you get there?
You'll get a list with their names on it when you get to the admissions office.