1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UMich vs. Case

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ems5184, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ems5184

ems5184 Denist (future)
    5+ Year Member

What are the general opinions on these 2 schools? I am from Michigan and go here for undergrad but I know that UMich does not have the best reputation for dental (definitely less prestigious than say 10-15 yrs ago). However, while Case is more expensive, they seem to provide a better overall education.

I am considering specializing though I think there is no real difference regarding that between these schools. What do you guys think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. americanpierg

americanpierg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    michigan of course, its cheaper :D

4. ems5184

ems5184 Denist (future)
    5+ Year Member

I know it's cheaper...and that's the first thing that came to my mind. Am i sacrificing the quality of education to go somewhere "cheaper"? In 20 years from now, an extra 85k out of my total net worth will be negligible.

5. MissingPolaris

MissingPolaris Cemetoenamel Junction
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Go to a cheaper school. It may not provide you the best education but once you are a dentist, you are a dentist. Also, your learning will not stop after you graduate. You will con't to develop your clinical skills. Yes, it may take you a little longer than others who went to a very strong clinical school but the differences don't worth an extra $20000/yr. You will eventually get to where you want to be once you start practicing dentistry.

6. Lostinbul

Lostinbul Pray'n for a letter!
    5+ Year Member

I would have to disagree with this post! Of course it matters what type of education you aquire in dental school. Money should not be the deciding factor in your decision of which dental school to attend, because guess what........if you learn your stuff, and come out of school ready to make a name for yourself as a COMPETENT dentist and not someone just now trying to use their patients as pratice to make up for what they didn't learn in dental school, you will make lots of $ and be able to pay off those extra loans you took out. My advice......go where your heart tells you to go and keep money issues out of the question. Case is a lot cheaper than some other schools out there, but people still attend those schools. Why? Because if your goal is to save money, then don't go to dental school altogether.

7. GonnaBADentist

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Which school do you like more, and why?

8. vasco

vasco Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

To the OP:

I think that you are right on about the money. When you are 65 and about to retire the 85K will be negligible. With that said I think that you should go to the school where you will enjoy your life the most. Maybe Michigan is closer to your family or maybe CASE will cater better to your academic needs.

I also think that you should take a look at the curriculum differences as well. I'm a first year at CASE and I have a great friend who is a first year at Michigan. I just visited him over Thanksgiving break and we talked about the curriculum differences. For instance Mich used IMS (I think that’s what he calls it) and he doesn't like it at all. Anyway I would look at where you think you will be the happiest and the curriculum that fits you the best. Maybe you like the IMS over the standard individual courses so michigan would fit you better.

Anyway you are in a great position because not only did you get into dental school; you have a choice of two great schools to attend.

9. GonnaBADentist

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How does the clinical experience compare between these schools?

10. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I highly doubt Case is a better school. If money didn't matter (which it does), I would go to Michigan, much better program. Since money does matter and Michigan is a much better school, that should make you decision even easier. I don't think that your opinion on the schools is totally correct. Case is an okay school I guess, Michigan is much above average.
    I would go to Michigan hands down!!

11. ems5184

ems5184 Denist (future)
    5+ Year Member

I actually don't know which one I like more yet. They are both good in different ways. I kind of do like the IMS at Michigan and that's very similar to what UConn and Columbia teach (if I get off the waitlist there then this debate is settled).

I am not too concerned about practicing right out of school, I plan on specializing in something but I also would like a decent clinical training in case I change my mind. From what I've heard, Case is much better than Michigan for clinical (even the locations of the schools would indicate this).

But I agree with you, vasco, being happier should be more important than the money. And I've lived in Ann Arbor already, know some people going to Michigan next year so maybe that will be the better option (for more than just financial reasons). Who knows though, I can't complain too much, I am very thankful for even being in the situation of having a choice. Thanks for the input guys. If anyone thinks of anything else, feel free to post.

12. BallDontLie

BallDontLie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I agree...Michigan's the better option, plus its way cheaper. Now if only they would get around to givin me that interview....

13. americanpierg

americanpierg Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student

as negligable as an audi a8?