UMich vs CWRU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorjohnson

Reaction score
Deciding between these two schools (super grateful to have these options!) and wanted to get some extra input. Still haven't heard back about financial aid from CWRU, so just focusing on the non-financial aspects for now. Definitely want to go into a surgical specialty, tentatively interested in ortho.

UMich
Pros
  • 1 year preclinical seems like the way to go with step 1 p/f
  • Slightly more "prestige" in academic medicine
  • Current students generally happy about their experience
  • I like the recorded lectures + flexible quizzing format

Cons
  • Clinical grading seems stressful? Graded on a curve with AOA based on clinical grades
  • Relatively few ortho matches given the size and stature of the school? Not sure what is going on here
  • Ann Arbor seems like a cute town but might feel small after 4 years? Would ideally like a bigger + more diverse city in terms of dating/social life

CWRU
Pros
  • Curriculum seems more relaxed/less stressful
  • Strong clinical affiliates (i.e. Cleveland Clinic)
  • Strong match list, many ortho matches
  • New facilities look nice

Cons
  • Well known but maybe not same level national reputation as UM?
  • Cleveland is kinda meh
  • The big one: I really don't think I'll like the group learning stuff - just doesn't seem like an effective way to study but maybe I'm wrong about this

Summary
Overall, a lot of the "objective" metrics (like the match list) point to CWRU but my heart says go to UMich. Where should I go? Any insights apreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to U-M, went into surgical sub (ophtho). However, the reputation difference is small between the two, and their match lists are equally impressive. So I would call it a wash there.

As another admitted student to both UMich and Case, I got the vibe that many more people at Case were interested in pursuing surgical subs than people at UMich. I don’t think Michigan is going to hinder you at all from getting into a competitive specialty, especially with how great the school is in connecting you with people in your field of interest. Anecdotally, I asked the admissions team to connect me with 1 current student who is interested in Ophtho. 5 ended up reaching out, in addition to the coordinator of a Kellogg division that mirrors many of my interests.

I have heard from current UMich students that they are really stressed though, especially compared to the Case students I know.

I def got the vibe that Case students are more relaxed then UMich students. Honestly, that would do it for me lol, but UMich is a great school and I wouldn't worry about getting into ortho from there. Def go to second looks if you can, and just go with your gut.