UMich vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickcity

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TLDR; My heart wants to go to UMich but my brain says UCSD is the more logical choice (because I want to do a CA residency).

UMich:
+Big Scholarship (same $ as UCSD)
+Curriculum/Atmosphere
+Students love it here
+Ann Arbor is amazing
+National prestige. Top grad schools all over.
+Sports teams/ school spirit

UCSD:
+Great weather
+Family support
-Raised in SD so I wouldn't mind living elsewhere for a while

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I would pick UCSD. UMich is a great school, but if you’re looking at a California residency, I don’t think it will offer you more than UCSD. Michigan also gets miserable weather. The price is the same, plus you have family support at UCSD, so I would pick that.

Reactions: 2 users
If your heart wants to go to UMich, go there. That will make it easier to have no regrets and make it easier to do well in school.

Also it is an SDN myth that going to a top school outside of CA somehow makes it harder to return to CA. Since you are raised in SD, it is not hard at all to make a case for wanting to return for residency. Just do an away rotation at the CA program you want to match at.

UMich has a significantly stronger national reputation in medicine than UCSD, so if all else is equal going to UMich will actually open more doors than UCSD. That will help you, not hurt you, when it comes time to matching in CA.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)