Unaccredited DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatiaa1

Pre-PT Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For financial reasons & location, I am considering applying to an unaccredited DPT school (well-established academic university). If accepted, I will be in the first class of the program.

So far, I am very impress on how professional they are (eager to respond to inquiries) and on how well organize they are (i.e., applications, listed curriculum, etc.).

In addition, I have contacted APTA and all they can say is that the program is on "track for accreditation."

Knowing this... is it worth the risk? Have you ever heard of a new DPT program not being granted accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

Did the faculty come from other PT schools? Or are they all new faculty? What programs have they examined in setting up their curriculum? Are they programs that are well respected and have good NPTE pass rates? Are the faculty research active?

I think those questions can help with your decision. If the faculty are from other schools with good pass rates, and are active in the profession and research, those are good signs.

Also are there a lot of PT programs in the immediate geographic area? That can help you know how hard it is for the new school to get clinical sites. Since it is a new school, they are unable to reach out to alumni for clinical sites.

For financial reasons & location, I am considering applying to an unaccredited DPT school (well-established academic university). If accepted, I will be in the first class of the program.

So far, I am very impress on how professional they are (eager to respond to inquiries) and on how well organize they are (i.e., applications, listed curriculum, etc.).

In addition, I have contacted APTA and all they can say is that the program is on "track for accreditation."

Knowing this... is it worth the risk? Have you ever heard of a new DPT program not being granted accreditation?
Which program are you talking about? Would it be Touro University Nevada?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying back. You brought up a couple of good interview questions that I could ask. So, have you ever heard of a new DPT program not being granted accreditation by first class graduation.

Sounds like you're talking about Marshall University??

Thanks for replying back. You brought up a couple of good interview questions that I could ask. So, have you ever heard of a new DPT program not being granted accreditation by first class graduation.

Sorry. I do not know enough to know the answer to that question. I have never heard of it happening, but I have only been a faculty member for 6 years, and I am not too sure how I would hear of it anyway.

Good luck to you.

I applied to Western Kentucky last year and they were a new PT program at a well respected school and they missed a due date with accreditation board and couldn't take students that year. They didn't really lose it (they also didn't have it) but they were delayed a year.