UNC and Prerequisites: Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petra23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On UNC's website, it says that prerequisite classes can't be more than five years old. Does that only apply if they were not part of your major?

I graduated 10 years ago, so some of my prereqs are ancient:smuggrin:

Does anyone have any insight or advice for me?

UNC would be in-state for me ;) and I really want to stay here if I can

http://www.dent.unc.edu/academic/programs/dds/requirements.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

A higher DAT score might have given you a better platform for arguing your case. In the absence, all you have left is to call the school and find out what your starting point needs to be.

Agreed. Call the folks in admissions and ask them. On some things, (i.e. physics), I know UNC can be a little more forgiving. I think you'll be well served by calling them, or, even better, coming in and talking to someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be well served by calling them, or, even better, coming in and talking to someone.

Yes, they're very accommodating for one on one appointments with Dean Guckes. He's an excellent source of information and will give you great advice on improving your application.

Thanks for all the responses...I emailed Dr Guckes today, and he responded immediately. he said that due to my work experience, they would consider my pre-reqs already taken. However, since I was a chem major, I still need Anatomy/Phys or Vertebrate Zoo.

THanks again for all your responses. And any other advice for getting into UNC would be much appreciated. I plan on retaking the DAT on September 15.

--I want to be a dentist so bad, I can taste it! (me)

To improve you app I would try to get in some community volunteer hours because UNC is all about that. I know some universities have pre-dental clubs, so you should look into those or email them about local opportunities. UNC runs several clinics a year called Mission of Mercy clinics where they provide free dental care to low income patients. Getting in on one of those would really help you app and you could talk with current dental students and professors. Good luck!