UNC Application Denied

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question:

I formally withdrew my application from UNC Chapel Hill (OOS student) when I was accepted to my top two schools on Dec 1 (Harvard being one of them). I wasn't impressed with UNC and sensed a strong environment of elitism and arrogance, both from faculty and current students, unlike anywhere else I interviewed.

The other schools I withdrew from updated my AADSAS to "withdrew before action," as was appropriate. They also sent me emails thanking me for notifying them and wished me luck. UNC, however, simply changed the AADSAS to "Application Denied."

Seriously? I withdraw my application (i.e denying your school) and you have the gall to deny me, as if I was giving you a choice?

Did anyone else withdraw from schools (UNC or others) and have their portal updated similarly?

I realize it honestly doesn't matter, but it rubbed me the wrong way and seems unprofessional. Sure, if I leave my application open, deny me. I realize there are few OOS slots and I might not be the best qualified candidate. But you can't fire an employee when he already quit.

Members don't see this ad.

They could have worded that a little better. but don't take it personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if you came away from UNC with such a negative vibe. I got the impression that all the students and faculty were very proud of the school and exuded a sense of quiet confidence needed for a health care professional.

Throughout the application process UNC has updated AADSAS with very different messages than other schools. Thus, the application denied may be their default way of saying this applicant "denied us the ability to look at his application" etc. Essentially, I wouldn't worry about it...and, don't take this the wrong way...if something like this bugged ya...good luck dealing with a very diverse personality pool in dental school and beyond.

Good Luck!!!

His lol just got a letter from pitt dating that they rejected me. Aadsas says same thing "application denied". Mind you this is after I sent all my schools emails revoking my application since I'm going to my state school.

again its no biggie. Don't take it personally.

Question:

I formally withdrew my application from UNC Chapel Hill (OOS student) when I was accepted to my top two schools on Dec 1 (Harvard being one of them). I wasn't impressed with UNC and sensed a strong environment of elitism and arrogance, both from faculty and current students, unlike anywhere else I interviewed.

The other schools I withdrew from updated my AADSAS to "withdrew before action," as was appropriate. They also sent me emails thanking me for notifying them and wished me luck. UNC, however, simply changed the AADSAS to "Application Denied."

Seriously? I withdraw my application (i.e denying your school) and you have the gall to deny me, as if I was giving you a choice?

Did anyone else withdraw from schools (UNC or others) and have their portal updated similarly?

I realize it honestly doesn't matter, but it rubbed me the wrong way and seems unprofessional. Sure, if I leave my application open, deny me. I realize there are few OOS slots and I might not be the best qualified candidate. But you can't fire an employee when he already quit.

With what you've accomplished, I can't see why this is bothering you so much.

His lol just got a letter from pitt dating that they rejected me. Aadsas says same thing "application denied". Mind you this is after I sent all my schools emails revoking my application since I'm going to my state school.

again its no biggie. Don't take it personally.

Lol yea Pitt did this with me too. They offered me an interview but I turned it down via email. They didn't even respond to it then my status changed to "application denied" and I later received a letter in the mail stating that I had been rejected.

i think it's a little silly you're stressing over this now, esp after achieving admission to harvard. just be thankful for what you have, others even on SDN have not been so lucky this cycle :)

i propose we sticky and archive this thread

so that for the record and for future reference

it is clear that UNC did not dump op

op dumped UNC

Clearly I'm not "stressing" considering I was admitted to some very prestigious schools and I count myself very fortunate.

My query was in reference to the fact that UNC was the only school from which I withdrew an application that didn't update the portal to "Withdrew Before Action." I also hated the UNC interview experience, leaving an hour and a half early after my three interviews b/c I knew I didn't want to go to school in that environment. I was just looking to see if anyone else had this experience, and thanks to a couple of insightful respondents it appears that some schools simply "reject" or "deny" applicants despite them withdrawing an app or not even taking the interview (ridiculous).

I just found this to be unprofessional and yes, it rubbed me the wrong way considering the type of interview experience I had there. Just curious is all.

haha you fit right into the pretentious harvard stereotype. i'm glad you were accepted there and not some lowly peasant school =)

Who cares how the worded it. You don't have to attend there or deal with their admissions staff again.

:eek: Haha, so you were turned off by a sense of "elitism and arrogance" at UNC and still felt the need to craft a rambling tirade about nothing of substance on the dental forums? And how do you think this post reflects on you? Arrogant? Elitist? Unprofessional?

Did you take 15 seconds and consider the fact that the UNC portal was most likely updated by someone in a secretarial role, not the dean of admissions. Did you consider the fact that the portal has to be updated at various times for thousands of applicants? Also, you should have noticed that UNC is one of the schools that does not rely on the portal - in fact, the updates are only to comply with the imposed standards - you were notified of an interview invite by EMAIL and you were notified of an acceptance via PHONE call - is that not personal and professional enough for you?

It's just a status update - nothing more. You can still tell everyone you denied UNC. At the bottom of your post when you typed "I realize it honestly doesn't matter" - that's when the internal bell should have gone off and you could have just deleted the rest of the post and moved on.

haha you fit right into the pretentious harvard stereotype. i'm glad you were accepted there and not some lowly peasant school =)

I turned Harvard down for some "lowly peasant school," but I'm glad to hear that I fit into an unfounded stereotype based on a single post with which you may or may not be able to identify based on personal experience.

The only mention of Harvard was to make note that I was a qualified applicant who, had I not withdrawn my application, would have considered myself a competitive applicant for an OOS spot.

To uva, I would say the majority of topics on this forum are either repetitive, self-absorbed, or "lack substance." I was simply curious and my question has been answered by several individuals who interviewed at UNC and have pm'd me with similar sentiments. Apparently my "rant" wasn't entirely unfounded.

Finally, I simply found it odd that schools like UoP, Columbia, and VCU, all schools whose interview process was far more enjoyable, hospitable, and unpresuming, would update a portal with "Withdrew Before Action" whereas UNC updated with "Admission Denied." It's an honest inquiry. Geez.

BU, sorry to hear of your experience. UNC tries really hard to make the interview a pleasant experience, and in my experience, they do. I had an amazing experience when I interviewed, but at the same time, I guess I didn't expect a red carpet to be rolled out before me. Many students, including myself, take time away from our busy schedules to show up the night before and the day of the interview to help answer any questions and hope to put those interviewing at ease. I don't think it's ever our intention to come across as "arrogant" and "self-absorbed", but there are some bad apples in EVERY bunch. My experience in my first year with faculty and others has been nothing but great. All of the professors I've had are down-to-earth and really care about the students. After seeing you left an hour and half early, it seems as though you already had your mind made up beforehand. In regards to your comment about AADSAS status, who cares?!?! Don't let the small things like this bother you in dental school, b/c you will not have time for it. Best of luck in your educational endeavors.

Has anyone heard of someone being denied by UNC but accepted to an out of state school, turned down the out of state offer, then reapplied to UNC the next year and was accepted?

I'm just about to graduate from UNC in a few weeks and I have experienced being an interviewer for the incoming class (i'm from NC). If you are a reapplicant they actually look at why you were not admitted the first time around and whether or not you had done anything to strengthen your application. If you gained admission to another dental school the previous year I highly doubt they will admit you just because you reapplied, you have to be a more competitive applicant reguardless. It's pretty ridiculous how competitive all of the applicants are and it's even more difficult to decide who should be offered an acceptance.

I have to say that once I went through the process of helping to select the incoming class I have no clue how I managed to get a spot but I'm very thankful that I did. For OOS applications, it's very very difficult and it's very tough to decide who will get a seat because there are so many qualified applicants. To the OP, sorry if you had a bad experience during your interview. We all try very hard to leave a good impression of the school but also to be honest about what it's like here. Even though I love it here, I can understand that it's not the place for everyone.

Honestly, when it truly comes down to it at UNC, it's the interview that will get you an acceptance. Numbers are really of no help when you get this point.