Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a REALLY tough decision ahead of me.
I'm an early college student (5 year program for high school diploma and 2 year college degree) in the state of NC. I'm graduating with my Associates in Science (70 credits) in June.
I got accepted into MCPHS in Boston. I visited the city 2 weeks ago and fell absolutely in love with the city and the school. I submitted an enrollment deposit and managed to arrange off-campus housing, $660 per month, which is REAAALLY cheap for Boston. Tuition is $29,000 and they're offering me $11,000 in merit scholarships. I truly believe that Boston, being the medical hub of the world, offers way more opportunities to build a competitive med-school application. I've accepted that I'm going to take out student loans and I decided that if I'm going to be in debt, I might as well go somewhere I know will set me up to get a return. MCPHS is ranked by Forbes as "#1 in the country for value". They're only willing to take 18 of my credits. I got into Premedical and Health Sciences program. I intend to major in Public Health. So I would go here for 3 1/2 years.
UNC Chapel Hill came into the picture 2 nights ago when I found out I got accepted...
I would get in state tuition which is about $9500 and there's a state law that requires all public universities in the state to transfer all the credits I earned, meaning I should get my bachelors in 2 years. I would still go in as a freshman "with junior standing". I really want to go to Chapel Hill for med school, and I've heard that it's better not to get your undergrad where you want to get your professional degree. I also got into the Public Health - Policy and Management for my intended track. I REALLY feel like I'm supposed to be in Boston in the fall.
Here's what I'm considering on doing:
Attend MCPHS in the fall. If I find that it isn't worth all the money I'm going into debt for, I can apply to transfer to UNC Chapel Hill.
If I got in as a freshman at UNC, won't I have a good chance of getting accepted again as a transfer?
Would I lose NC residency if I moved to Boston only for a year?
Is transferring as mentioned above a bad plan? How would it affect my chances of getting into med school (any med school)?
I would rather get the privileges of being a non-freshman at chapel hill anyway, which is what I would get if I transferred.
The curriculum on MCPHS website for the first year of Public Health program are courses I haven't taken for my AS, so they should still be able to benefit me and I would have even more credits when and if I transfer into chapel hill.
I'm an early college student (5 year program for high school diploma and 2 year college degree) in the state of NC. I'm graduating with my Associates in Science (70 credits) in June.
I got accepted into MCPHS in Boston. I visited the city 2 weeks ago and fell absolutely in love with the city and the school. I submitted an enrollment deposit and managed to arrange off-campus housing, $660 per month, which is REAAALLY cheap for Boston. Tuition is $29,000 and they're offering me $11,000 in merit scholarships. I truly believe that Boston, being the medical hub of the world, offers way more opportunities to build a competitive med-school application. I've accepted that I'm going to take out student loans and I decided that if I'm going to be in debt, I might as well go somewhere I know will set me up to get a return. MCPHS is ranked by Forbes as "#1 in the country for value". They're only willing to take 18 of my credits. I got into Premedical and Health Sciences program. I intend to major in Public Health. So I would go here for 3 1/2 years.
UNC Chapel Hill came into the picture 2 nights ago when I found out I got accepted...
I would get in state tuition which is about $9500 and there's a state law that requires all public universities in the state to transfer all the credits I earned, meaning I should get my bachelors in 2 years. I would still go in as a freshman "with junior standing". I really want to go to Chapel Hill for med school, and I've heard that it's better not to get your undergrad where you want to get your professional degree. I also got into the Public Health - Policy and Management for my intended track. I REALLY feel like I'm supposed to be in Boston in the fall.
Here's what I'm considering on doing:
Attend MCPHS in the fall. If I find that it isn't worth all the money I'm going into debt for, I can apply to transfer to UNC Chapel Hill.
If I got in as a freshman at UNC, won't I have a good chance of getting accepted again as a transfer?
Would I lose NC residency if I moved to Boston only for a year?
Is transferring as mentioned above a bad plan? How would it affect my chances of getting into med school (any med school)?
I would rather get the privileges of being a non-freshman at chapel hill anyway, which is what I would get if I transferred.
The curriculum on MCPHS website for the first year of Public Health program are courses I haven't taken for my AS, so they should still be able to benefit me and I would have even more credits when and if I transfer into chapel hill.