Career Changer with Some Prereqs — Formal Postbacc vs. DIY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helpme12345

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Lovely People of SDN,

I’m at a bit of a crossroads and would really appreciate some advice from people who have been through the premed/postbacc process.

I graduated in 2023 with a degree in Environmental Sciences and a 3.87 GPA. Since graduating, I’ve been working in a corporate role at a Fortune 500 company. While I’ve enjoyed aspects of my career, I keep finding myself pulled back toward science and medicine, and I’ve increasingly felt that I may have made the wrong choice by not pursuing medicine initially.

During undergrad, I had extensive research experience in ecology/environmental health, and I was also fortunate to contribute to neuroscience research in high school that ultimately resulted in a publication in Nature Comms. So I have a pretty substantial research background, but very little traditional premed coursework.

The complication is that I did take Biology I & II and General Chemistry I around 2020, though they were online from my university (due to covid). I technically have some prerequisites completed, but my retention of the material is honestly pretty poor at this point.
I’m trying to figure out what makes the most sense academically:
  • Would I still be a viable candidate for a formal premed postbacc, given that I’ve already completed several prerequisites?
  • Would a formal postbacc even make sense, or would I be better off doing a DIY postbacc (restarting everything with Intro Bio and Chem)?
  • Am I an idiot for wanting to leave a stable job to pursue something so uncertain?
 
Welcome to the forums.

You should ask the career changer postbac program directors. I think you can be eligible, but we would need a full transcript analysis including when you took them.

The other questions relate to your financial situation, and only you can determine whether you should go through a formal postbac or a DIY (depending on answers from program directors).
 
Hi there! To preface, this is not based off of personal experience but rather a conversation I had with a current resident who completed a formal post bacc program. I remember her stating that a DIY could be a lot less costly and more flexible, but the post-bacc program got her the prerequisites and also set her up for good letters of evaluation there. I believe she said her program also had a really good support system for med school including shadowing and clinical opportunities. These are just some things you may want to consider when picking between DIY and formal post bacc or between different programs. Best of luck!
 
If I were in your shoes I would probably be guided by practical considerations. Do you need to keep working while doing the postbacc? How many programs are in your area? Do you have the flexibility to move? How much of an issue is cost?

The DIY approach is workable, and a common route for nontrads. But a solid formal program is certainly going to be more plug-and-play.