UNC Dental OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBP12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all how hard is it to get into UNC as an OOS applicant...

Also, is it true that you get in-state tuition years 2-4???

If so, what is the process to get in-state tuition and is it difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

They only take ~10 people from OOS with like between 800-1,000 applicants. You're going to need a HIGH DAT probably 23+ AA. And a high GPA (3.7+) and some other stuff that makes you stand out. The OOS they accept are from neighboring states usually, KY , SC , GA. For most people, its not worth applying to versus other schools OOS.

Residency in NC isn't too difficult to get, but I think the main thing like anywhere else is rebutting why you moved there other than educational purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Hard just to get an interview, harder still to get an acceptance

2. Yes, you can switch to in-state tuition after your first year

3. They explained that the process isn't too difficult but there are some steps that need to be taken they'll help you out with

Members don't see this ad :)
So you guys say it is difficult, what would you say are my chances to get an interview with these stats...
3.88 gpa, 3.9 science gpa 19 TS/20 AA/19 BIO/ 20 GC/ 21 OC/ 22 PAT/ 20 RC/ 20 QR

100+ shadowing
200+ community service
leadership in dental club

They only take ~10 people from OOS with like between 800-1,000 applicants. You're going to need a HIGH DAT probably 23+ AA. And a high GPA (3.7+) and some other stuff that makes you stand out. The OOS they accept are from neighboring states usually, KY , SC , GA. For most people, its not worth applying to versus other schools OOS.

Residency in NC isn't too difficult to get, but I think the main thing like anywhere else is rebutting why you moved there other than educational purposes.

1. Hard just to get an interview, harder still to get an acceptance

2. Yes, you can switch to in-state tuition after your first year

3. They explained that the process isn't too difficult but there are some steps that need to be taken they'll help you out with

And another school just got crossed off my list.

First of all how hard is it to get into UNC as an OOS applicant...

Also, is it true that you get in-state tuition years 2-4???

If so, what is the process to get in-state tuition and is it difficult?

Exact numbers are 13 enrolled out of 1,283 applicants from OOS. States from: Fl - 1 , GA- 4, NY-1, TN-1 , TX-2 , VA-2

So hopefully you are from Georgia or one of the adjacent states to have a "better" chance at getting in there.

As someone who had hopes of at least getting an interview at UNC last cycle, I felt compelled to respond.
I'm OOS (WI resident). 3.94 ogpa, 3.94 sgpa, 22aa/22ts/20pat/22rc, 100+ shadowing, 300+ volunteer, research, extra curriculars, good PS and good LORs, and I didn't get an interview. It wasn't worth it, as their secondary fee is up there and their secondary application is pretty lengthy, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 1 users