unc/duke/penn?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yummysushi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it silly of me to choose unc over both duke and penn? It's not that I didn't like the other schools, but unc is my state school and it just feels right (and is dirt cheap!).

I'm just worried that one day I'll regret my decision in not going to a "top" program. Some sdn advice would be MUCH appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UNC. And give Penn my name when you withdraw, tell them you want me to fill the spot

Is it silly of me to choose unc over both duke and penn? It's not that I didn't like the other schools, but unc is my state school and it just feels right (and is dirt cheap!).

I'm just worried that one day I'll regret my decision in not going to a "top" program. Some sdn advice would be MUCH appreciated!:)

If UNC feels right to you, go. Don't worry about future regrets. It's not like UNC is chopped liver. Going there won't limit your options. Go to the school that you think is right for you. The consensus on SDN tends to be that location and cost are the most important factors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke has an incredibly unique curriculum as I am sure you are aware. My bf is an internal medicine resident there and, well, Duke just has a superior reputation with all-over-the-country name recognition. How interested are you in academic medicine? This is what should decide it for you. If you feel that research and teaching is more where you want your career to head, then choose Duke. You will leave there with at least one publication and possibly also an MPH. If you feel that you more just want to be in a private practice, then the price at UNC cannot be beat. Plus, UNC has a remarkable reputation also, just not as strong as Duke (this is only my opinion). I think another thing to consider is your classmates: private vs public. . .Frankly, I hope that you give up your spot at UNC, as I am hoping and praying to get in, because my bf is here for another 2 and a half years and I really don't want to go back to Chicago :oops:

In any case, you cannot go wrong. Congratulations on such great acceptances and good luck with your decision! :luck:

i am definitely NOT interested in going into academic medicine...as of now i'd like to go into something like pediatrics but obviously that may change once i actually go to medical school and have rotations etc....

thanks for the comments so far! keep them coming!!

i am definitely NOT interested in going into academic medicine...as of now i'd like to go into something like pediatrics but obviously that may change once i actually go to medical school and have rotations etc....

if you're interested in primary care, UNC can hardly be beat.

duke also has excellent pediatrics and primary care.

i would go the cheapest route if you're not super interested in academia.

Go to UNC! My boyfriend picked UNC over Duke and he couldn't be happier (particularly when he sees how much more I have to study...). Duke might have a stronger reputation, but UNC will absolutely not hold you back from anywhere you want to go. I know a few people who chose UNC over Duke, one who chose UNC over Wash U, and another who applied to UNC early decision when he could have gotten into tons of great schools, so there are lots of smart people there.

To be completely honest with you, you really have to like the Duke curriculum to go there. First year can be really stressful (I really do have to study a lot more than the UNC students I know), but for me it's worth it because we'll get basic sciences over in 1 year and I have a year of research built-in to the curriculum. For other people, that's not important to them. I should add that the students at both schools are great, but the UNC students are definitely more chill/less neurotic on the whole.

So if you want to go to UNC, by all means, go. I have lots of great things to say about Duke, but if UNC is a better fit for you then that would be the right way to go. Just don't root for their bball teams...

i think people are forgetting that the OP also mentioned penn- i'd probably end up there, unless unc gave me a really nice fin aid package i guess. going to a good school doesn't just help you if you want to go into academia though- it will also help you match into competitive residencies. however, all 3 schools are great.

Go to UNC. We're not comparing an offshore school to Duke and Penn. We're comparing two top-top schools with one top school. UNC is a great school. There would be no question in my mind as to where I'd go: UNC! You in-staters have it made!

thanks for all the pm's and replies!! i really appreciate it.

if anybody else has any input, please let me know!! i wish penn's second look weekend wasnt so far away...

This has pretty much been said before but it's all about what you're looking for in a school. If it's really important for you to be in a city or get experience in an urban area then Penn might be best for you. If research is really important for you than you really should go to Duke. That extra year will give you more time to do research than you will get in any of the other schools. Since you're leaning towards peds (a primary care area), I'd have to say UNC has the edge. As a public school they push primary care MUCH more than the others, and for that reason might have a stronger peds program. But again, do you want to be in academic medicine doing peds or in private practice?

Second, look for the school that you feel like you'd fit in the best at. I know this is hard to decide from a one day interview, but I found that you can definitely get some idea about the type of personality at a school.

Best of luck in your decision!