UNC Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiredtrix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invite from UNC for September 8th. There is an informal dinner Friday night and the interview is Saturday morning. The email stated that almost all of their interviews will be on Saturdays which is nice. There is only one problem, the travel website that I used stated that you cannot get a rental car unless you are 25... So I guess I'll be using a cab.

I am a Washington resident but I heard they interview out of state students first sometimes at UNC.

Members don't see this ad.

It's generally unwritten, but you can indeed rent cars when you're under 25. It will be slightly more expensive to insure your young self, but Enterprise will hook you up.

Yeah, I have before but maybe the websites can't give you a good deal so that's why they don't list it. I'll just look on Enterprise's website because I have rented with them before. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i have one for this date as well. Im waiting on the info packet.
How are you preparing?

Definitely try to make it if you can! I had to turn it down bc it conflicted with another interview and they said they only have 4 interview dates total. sept 8, oct 13, nov 10, and jan 12. So I'm stuck back in the pile. I dont know if it is oos first, but it will definitely be huge groups of people either way.

I think that the best way to prepare is to go on the interview question database on SDN and practice answering the questions, and maybe think of a few of your own to ask them. Also, I would go to the UNC website and research a little about their program so you seem as if you have spent time looking into the program and they know that you are very interested. Im not sure though because Ive never interviewed for dental school before haha.

I just got an interview invite from UNC for September 8th. There is an informal dinner Friday night and the interview is Saturday morning. The email stated that almost all of their interviews will be on Saturdays which is nice. There is only one problem, the travel website that I used stated that you cannot get a rental car unless you are 25... So I guess I'll be using a cab.

I am a Washington resident but I heard they interview out of state students first sometimes at UNC.
I'm still hoping for an invite. When was your application sent in and when was it under review? My application was sent in with the second batch and AADSAS shows that my app was received/under review on July 25 by UNC.

I'm going to be applying next cycle as an OOS applicant as well. Just curious, but what are your stats like?

Everything for my application was completely at UNC yesterday and they changed my AADSAS status. Do you guys have any idea when I could expect an interview?

My advisor mentioned a few times that to be considered for Sept. interviews at UNC, they need to have everything by Sept. 1..so it sounds like there is a pretty fast turnaround up there

First off congrats on getting an interview! Yes, I believe there is a higher % of out of staters in the first interview--just how UNC likes to handle it. I just started this week but am a long-time chapel hill resident, so shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

My advisor mentioned a few times that to be considered for Sept. interviews at UNC, they need to have everything by Sept. 1..so it sounds like there is a pretty fast turnaround up there

You're advisor is sorely mistaken unfortunately. If I remember correctly, they typically dole out the interviews a month or so in advance of the date. I'd say your chances of a Sept interview are slim to none, but the bright side is that it's not that big of a deal as there's still 3/4ths of the interviews yet to be handed out! I think its 60 folks/day, for a total of 240 interviews (I think). And if you are in state, they do the bulk of interviewing for in-staters the latter 3 dates.

Best of luck to everyone!!! I'm always more than happy to help out if anyone has any questions, but with the busy D1 schedule I'm not often on SDN searching threads...so just PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to help!

First off congrats on getting an interview! Yes, I believe there is a higher % of out of staters in the first interview--just how UNC likes to handle it. I just started this week but am a long-time chapel hill resident, so shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

You're advisor is sorely mistaken unfortunately. If I remember correctly, they typically dole out the interviews a month or so in advance of the date. I'd say your chances of a Sept interview are slim to none, but the bright side is that it's not that big of a deal as there's still 3/4ths of the interviews yet to be handed out! I think its 60 folks/day, for a total of 240 interviews (I think). And if you are in state, they do the bulk of interviewing for in-staters the latter 3 dates.

Best of luck to everyone!!! I'm always more than happy to help out if anyone has any questions, but with the busy D1 schedule I'm not often on SDN searching threads...so just PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to help!

You know, I have been getting the impression she is sorely mistaken about a lot of things lately. It is slightly concerning..
Best of luck to you at UNC though!!