UNC/Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go?

• UNC

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Maryland

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

Dukie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a previous post about UNC vs. Maryland, but I thought I'd make it a formal poll. Pros/Cons:

UNC:
Pro - Very good school, nice area, good curriculum where students get in to clinics at end of first year

Con - I've lived near the school for the last six years, Tough school (less break than many), not in the most fun area

MD:
Pro - More fun and cultural city, Brand new state of the art building opening in January 2006, family is 45 minutes away

Con - Safety is a concern, a bit more expensive, not on college campus (less options/facilities), Getting around is a bit more difficult

Members don't see this ad.

Although my voting is biased, I would hope you won't make your decision on what school to attend based on an internet poll.

adamlc18 said:
Although my voting is biased, I would hope you won't make your decision on what school to attend based on an internet poll.

I applied to 8 schools, interviewed at 6. Got accepted into 8 (2 w/o interviewing).

I can tell you from personal experience that UNC went from my #1 to #8 after going there.

They were snobs and smart azzes. They can all kiss my azz.

Thats my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
adamlc18 said:

I certainly wouldn't do so. I'm just curious what other's opinionis are who might know a bit about the schools. What did you like most/least about UNC?

Vertical bite- that's really not necessary. If you have an opinion without being insulting, I'd be happy to hear it.

I interviewed at both, was accepted to Maryland, denied at UNC. I felt a warmer reception by the students at Maryland, but that was mainly because I stayed at a student's house and rode in with a bunch of students from the Owings Mill area. This isn't to say that people were cold at UNC - several, like Jason P. and Adam C., were really helpful and welcoming.

I did sense an air of competitiveness amongst the UNC students, although it's hard as heck to get a true idea of what it's like at any school in just a day or two.

UNC definitely has an edge pricewise, and is in a way more peaceful area. If I were in your shoes, and price weren't that big of an issue, I'd pick Baltimore for the adventure. Having family around will be nice for you, provided they aren't nagging like my mother would be if I went to UNLV ("Typo, can you please give Julie a ride to . . . ?" Gag!). If you're tired of NC and feel like getting out, I think it could be helpful for you and might make dental school a more refreshing and invigorating experience.

If you aren't tired of it, though, UNC's price seems top-notch for the education and clinical experience you'll get there.

Just my $.02, most of which is random theorizing. :)

no, he's right. i had the same feeling when i interviewed at unc. but i still ended up here. and i wish that i were somewhere else. its not that were snobs really. just nerds and dorks and bratty, stuck-up girls. probably like any other dental school. the thing is that theres just really nothing special about this dental school compared to any other, especially if you arent planning to practice in north carolina. i would choose by location. chapel hill is pretty lame (id much rather live in a city), so dont come here just because youve heard how cool franklin street is. go where your friends and family are.. itll be nice to have them around when by the second day of orientation you realize how much dental school sucks (because no matter where you go dental school is gonna suck, sorry for my language).