UNC (OOS) vs. UConn (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodytoothguy2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Was wondering if I could get some feedback/opinions on these two schools that I am currently deciding between. Would love to hear from current dental students at these schools or other applicants! As a little background, both schools would cost me about the same so the price is not really a factor.

UNC

Pros
- Further home (From NY btw)
- Great reputation
- Early clinical
- Such a warm and welcoming faculty/student body
- Class size of 72
- Rent is cheap for the area

UConn

Pros
- Biomedical curriculum
- Class size of about 50
- Closer to Home

I don't really have many cons for either school. Also, both schools have great specialization rates.

Members don't see this ad.

UConn. Pass fail is huge. Imagine you’re studying for a test, it’s 11:45 pm and you’re still struggling with a certain topic. You’re gunning for ortho and can’t let that GPA or class rank slip if you’re at UNC, so you stay up until 2:45 to iron things out. At UConn you go to bed knowing a 70% is the same as a 100% at the end of the day.

Smaller class. Great specialization. Med school integrated. Team based learning. I mean, it totally depends on your personality and how you learn, but UConn seems like the obvious choice to me based solely on the school and not considering the area/city you prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UConn gives in-state residency after the first year. Also it’s P/F. Not to mention it’s the best dental school see ya in the fall!