UNC or OSU?? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUWarEagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've narrowed my choices down to UNC or OSU (maybe Marquette). I've already been accepted for '09 and now I'm struggling with a decision between UNC and OSU. I am an Ohio resident, but I heard that you can get in-state tuition at UNC after a year (yes, money is a factor). I know that UNC has an awesome reputation, but is it that much better than OSU?! Also, I've heard that there is a lot of "politics" stuff going on at UNC. If anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear, whether it be cost of living, residency requirements, quality of program/facilities, things to do, etc. Just one stipulation... try to give HONEST advice.
Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

OSU. they said north carolina is pretty strict abotu gaining instate residency. one of the students said just marry someone or buy a condo and ur instate residency for sure. but they said it got alot tricker and harder to become an NC resident. I'll personally go to OSU, esp. you will get the 1st year as an instate. all dental education is the same. jus go to the cheapest

Members don't see this ad :)
I've narrowed my choices down to UNC or OSU (maybe Marquette). I've already been accepted for '09 and now I'm struggling with a decision between UNC and OSU. I am an Ohio resident, but I heard that you can get in-state tuition at UNC after a year (yes, money is a factor). I know that UNC has an awesome reputation, but is it that much better than OSU?! Also, I've heard that there is a lot of "politics" stuff going on at UNC. If anyone has some advice, I'd love to hear, whether it be cost of living, residency requirements, quality of program/facilities, things to do, etc. Just one stipulation... try to give HONEST advice.
Thanks guys.

First off, congrats on the acceptance to UNC as an out-of-stater - this is certainly no easy task.

I'll be talking to a current UNC student, who went there as an out-of-stater, later this week about NC residency stuff (and to get input about UNC) since this student was able to get in-state status fairly easily. I also called Dr. Morano at UNC since he handles all residency issues, but he still has yet to return my call. I'll do my best to pass along any info I get. I've also heard, however, that it's becoming harder and harder to get UNC residency...

I've also been accepted to UNC out-of-state (from PA), and one thing that you might want to think about is where you'd eventually like to practice. If you want to return to Ohio to practice, keep in mind that you'll have to take another licensing exam since Ohio is obviously in a different region than NC. While some might say that this isn't a huge deal, a dentist I spoke to said that it's not as simple as sitting down in a room to take a written exam since there is a clinical portion to the licensing exam. I have no idea since I'm only a pre-dent like you, but I plan to call the ADA to get clarification on this...

I'd say generally that people would agree that UNC has a better reputation than OSU in the dental community. Some might even argue that it's one of the best, most well-rounded (didactic, clinical, and research aspects of the program are all very strong) dental programs on the east coast (and possibly in the nation). Another thing to consider is class size: UNC has 80 (as TaylorAtDuke pointed out to me - large enough to not get tired of seeing everyone in your class, but small enough where you could get some personal attention from professors; and less competition), while OSU has 100+. You also get very early clinical exposure at UNC (summer semester of 1st year). UNC students are supposedly fairly competitive, but I think you'll find this anywhere - this is professional school, and we're talking about one of the top programs in the nation here. There is on-going construction at UNC, but it hasn't seemed to be affecting students much at all.

Would you mind elaborating on the "politics" issues that are supposedly going on at UNC?

Both are great schools (so is Marquette) so you have a tough and exciting choice. UNC has a very strong reputation on these boards as a top school, but is it worth the extra money you'd pay as out-of-state? Maybe not...

UNC is hard school to get into for an out-of-stater so props to you, but OSU is a solid school.

Pick the school you are most comfortable with. See the thread on OSU or NYU for more details on OSU.

That's a tough one. Call the school to find out how easy it is these days to gain residency in NC. My cousin graduated last year from UNC and got in-state after the first year. One of my buddies got in this year and said he'll get in-state after the first year. If you can do that, it might be cheaper than paying in-state at OSU all four years. If I remember right, OSU's in state tuition for next year is 25K, but after that, I believe it's going up to 35K. I'm not sure, but I heard that UNC's in-state tuition is below 20K. I didn't apply there so I can't tell you. I loved my interview at OSU and would probably go there if it were cheaper, but it looks like a great program. I've heard nothing but excellent things about UNC as well. I'd look at the tuition and see what you come up with.

An off topic question as well. What do you think about the Chizik hire?