UNC or UCONN - opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ozzie99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, I am between UNC and UConn. I'd sure love to hear some opinions please, especially about UConn since there's been more about UNC on the threads. THANKS a LOT!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say UConn.. because I'm waitlisted by UNC:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would attend UNC over UConn in a heartbeat. I just loved the school,students and facualty so much more than UConn.

Do a search on the pre-dental and dental threads for UConn. It has been discussed a huge amount, especially two years ago and some last year. I have my own opinions from applying for the class of 2010 (I was accepted but declined), but I imagine things have probably changed in the last few years.

Do a search on the pre-dental and dental threads for UConn. I have my own opinions from applying for the class of 2010 (I was accepted but declined), but I imagine things have probably changed in the last few years.

So, may I ask, why did you decline? Sounds like you are hinting at something.

hey Ozzie, are u a NC resident?

So, may I ask, why did you decline? Sounds like you are hinting at something.

Well, the other threads about it have some stories from UConn students that say how unhappy they were with the administration and that sort of thing. I can't speak for that at all since I don't go there, but I declined to go simply because I didn't think the environment was well-suited for me.

I wanted more of a campus feel than the concrete single-building hospital atmosphere...I wanted to live in a more interesting area since I grew up in rural New England and wanted at least a small city.....I was a little turned off by how much they kept saying how they were as good as any Ivy League and how amazing they are on their boards and how they're changing the program to be more like Harvard's (it seemed like they had a bit of an inferiorty complex, but this may have changed.).....The building seemed a little depressing, with no windows anywhere and sharing space with the med school and rest of the hospital....I guess combined, I didn't really get a sense of warmth or a place that I personally could thrive.

However, you cannot go wrong with UConn; it is indeed an excellent program and I'd talk to current students to ask about life there as a dental student.

I personally am going to UConn because I felt it was the right place for me. I seemed to get an opposite idea from the students and they all seemed very happy and close with the administration. I don't think that matters too too much however because everyone gets different feeling from different schools....

So what I would sugest doing is if you have visited both places, sit back and try to imagine yourself at each dental school and see which one seems right for you. They are both great programs and they will both lead you to an incredibly successful career in denistry. So good luck and I hope that helped....

So how do you locate old threads?

Open any forum (make sure you're looking at the whole forum, like Pre-Dental or Dental, not a particular thread) and click on the "Search This Forum" tab near the upper right. Voila! :)

Open any forum (make sure you're looking at the whole forum, like Pre-Dental or Dental, not a particular thread) and click on the "Search This Forum" tab near the upper right. Voila! :)

Well FillingFine - thank! You are just too smart! :)

I would attend UNC over UConn in a heartbeat. I just loved the school,students and facualty so much more than UConn.

Would it make a difference if you had a full ride to UConn?

when do schools offer scholarships? In the acceptance letter?

I got phone calls from Maryland and UNC. NYU came with my acceptance letter.

when do schools offer scholarships? In the acceptance letter?

UConn offers their (entering) freshmen merit scholarships a few weeks after they second out the early December acceptance letters. They give several, ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand and it's a one-time gift. Not sure if they have more once you're a student....