UNC School Psych PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olive2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide between school psych and clinical psych for may applications this fall. I am thinking I will have a better chance at school psych due to my stats and experience. Does anyone know anything about the reputation of UNC's School psych program? I just don't think I could be competitive in the Clinical psych program there, but I am limited by geography. Pretty much seems like UNC and Duke are my only options.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

When you say "you'll have a better chance for school psych based on your stats," it makes it sound like you're simply settling for school psych. If you truly want to do clinical then make that your goal. Not saying you're not qualified for school psych, just saying that you gotta want it!

When you say "you'll have a better chance for school psych based on your stats," it makes it sound like you're simply settling for school psych. If you truly want to do clinical then make that your goal. Not saying you're not qualified for school psych, just saying that you gotta want it!

Totally agree with this! You should be applying to programs that you are most interested in, not just picking ones that you think you have a chance of being accepted to. In general, school psychology programs are less competitive, but I think that UNC's Ph.D would be relatively competitive for both programs.

Check out UNC Greensboro - they have a Clinical program and is about an hour away from Chapel Hill/Durham. Maybe that's doable?