UNC vs PENN vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

King Dan23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what to i have half off tuition at PENN and Columbia. Which school is the best.

Members don't see this ad.

are you in-state at UNC? if so, go to UNC. if not, go to PENN.

jb!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
many people go to unc got into Penn (2 out of 2 that I knew) and they chose to go to UNC. I think it's a great school and it's "ridiculously" cheap for instate students. I got into other schools as well and I chose to go here at the end.

many people go to unc got into Penn (2 out of 2 that I knew) and they chose to go to UNC. I think it's a great school and it's "ridiculously" cheap for instate students. I got into other schools as well and I chose to go here at the end.

are u instate

Not instate and
unc what wrong with columbia

there's nothing wrong with columbia....it's just no UNC or Penn, in my opinion. i don't like their med school curriculum (seems kinda lazy).

UNC: cheap (if in-state), Chapel Hill is awesome, college sports, great reputation.

Penn: good deal w/ scholarship, awesome rep, dental based curriculum, good clinical

Columbia: good deal w/ scholarship, awesome rep, cons are curriculum and clinical experience. plus, although Columbia is in NYC....it's not exactly in the part of NYC that people think of (i.e. lower manhattan)

just my random thoughts,

there is nothing wrong with columbia. i chose it over penn (in my opinion spanish harlem, which is 20 min away by subway from cool areas, is still better than philly)

all three are great schools. choose the one YOU liked the best. and take everything people say with a grain of salt (some of those people who are bashing columbia just got rejected from it so maybe they are a bit bitter...which is ok)

there is nothing wrong with columbia. i chose it over penn (in my opinion spanish harlem, which is 20 min away by subway from cool areas, is still better than philly)

all three are great schools. choose the one YOU liked the best. and take everything people say with a grain of salt (some of those people who are bashing columbia just got rejected from it so maybe they are a bit bitter...which is ok)

This is so true...

these are all GREAT schools! They each have a different philosophy when it comes to their curriculum and obviously are located in very different parts of the country, but i dont think you can go wrong with whatever one decide to attend.

The half off tuition certainly is appealing, but remember that you can establish in-state residency for 3 years at UNC.

I think Columbia is a fine school. I'm sure you'll receive a good education at columbia. I just think it is the best decision to get your DDS at the cheapest school. UNC happens to be cheap and good!
~We all have our own opinion about certain schools. It's not always bitterness that we don't like a particular school (especially when it comes to the Ivy League schools). There is one school I got in and I didn't like. I thought it was a good school until I went there for the interview.

some of those people who are bashing columbia just got rejected from it so maybe they are a bit bitter...which is ok

ummm...i'm guessing you were referring to me. i was rejected from Penn and Columbia so i hate each school equally :laugh:

but seriously though.... Penn has their own building while columbia is a few floors of the med center. I dunno, I'd prefer to learn under a dental curriculum not with med students. just my opinion...NOT bitter... jB!:)

I was accepted to UNC and Penn and really liked both. I chose UNC because it will be much cheaper because I didn't get a 1/2 scholarship. I didn't apply to columbia but I've also heard good things about their school. I would pick the school that is going to be the cheapest, and if the prices are close then pick the one where you feel you will fit in the best with the students and faculty. They are all great schools and you can pursue any path you want from any of them. So pretty much what everyone else has been saying.

ummm...i'm guessing you were referring to me. i was rejected from Penn and Columbia so i hate each school equally :laugh:

but seriously though.... Penn has their own building while columbia is a few floors of the med center. I dunno, I'd prefer to learn under a dental curriculum not with med students. just my opinion...NOT bitter... jB!:)

Penn has their own building...so what?! It's not like Columbia is running short on clinical space and lecture rooms. Yes, the building itself is sort of old, but it's the least of our concerns. Taking classes with the med school doesn't concern me either. The curriculum is still designed well enough so everything is well integrated and helps to prepare us for the boards (a good majority of portion of the anatomy curriculum, especially head and neck, is in fact taught by the wonderful dental faculty). Yes, there are certainly flaws to the curriculum, but you either sacrifice your didactics for an excellent clinical training or you sacrifice clinical training for good board scores and high specialty rates. Our chief complaints as first years is the seemingly lack of faculty at times, excess amount of work and lack of diversity in patient pool....but you really can't have everything in a school. You certainly can't make negative judgements about a school unless you attend it and understand what really goes on.

Penn has their own building...so what?! It's not like Columbia is running short on clinical space and lecture rooms. Yes, the building itself is sort of old, but it's the least of our concerns. Taking classes with the med school doesn't concern me either. The curriculum is still designed well enough so everything is well integrated and helps to prepare us for the boards (a good majority of portion of the anatomy curriculum, especially head and neck, is in fact taught by the wonderful dental faculty). Yes, there are certainly flaws to the curriculum, but you either sacrifice your didactics for an excellent clinical training or you sacrifice clinical training for good board scores and high specialty rates. Our chief complaints as first years is the seemingly lack of faculty at times, excess amount of work and lack of diversity in patient pool....but you really can't have everything in a school. You certainly can't make negative judgements about a school unless you attend it and understand what really goes on.

no negative judgements made. both are excellent schools. i was just stating the reasons why i would choose penn over columbia. relax..